Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 2, 2015

Hey all!

I need help!

I'm the only reviewer of a huge job. It's being translated by several translators. The translators are sending the translated batches every week, so the review can be done in parallel. They are also exchaning TMs.

The problem is that there are many repetitions. I know that, if you disable the Track Changes feature, you can autopropagate your reviewed segments within the document you're working on. But how can I propagate my corrections
... See more
Hey all!

I need help!

I'm the only reviewer of a huge job. It's being translated by several translators. The translators are sending the translated batches every week, so the review can be done in parallel. They are also exchaning TMs.

The problem is that there are many repetitions. I know that, if you disable the Track Changes feature, you can autopropagate your reviewed segments within the document you're working on. But how can I propagate my corrections to the other files as well?

It is my first review job and I'm in doubt about the workflow. I'd appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Heloisa
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:08
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Glue and than unglue Jul 2, 2015

the files:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlxliffsplitmerge-481.html

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:08
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
How is that even possible Jul 2, 2015

So, if Translator A translates the term "xxxx" as "aaaa" and Translator B uses the term "bbbb" and Translator C uses the term "cccc" and Translator D uses the term "dddd" and you receive Translator A's document first, review it and enter it into the TM, then when it is picked up as a match in Translator B, C and D's document, it gets charged to "aaaa" (which would normally be ok to make all the terminology consistent - assuming that Translator A's choice was the best), but in those sections of T... See more
So, if Translator A translates the term "xxxx" as "aaaa" and Translator B uses the term "bbbb" and Translator C uses the term "cccc" and Translator D uses the term "dddd" and you receive Translator A's document first, review it and enter it into the TM, then when it is picked up as a match in Translator B, C and D's document, it gets charged to "aaaa" (which would normally be ok to make all the terminology consistent - assuming that Translator A's choice was the best), but in those sections of Translator B, C and D's work that do not contain repetitions, this will result in the use of translation "aaaa" (in the TM) and translations "bbbb".,.. etc. in the same section?

Therefore, wouldn't it be better to wait until everything is translated first? Otherwise, the document will be all over the place.

Example:

The Commission met on Monday... The Committee will meet again on Wednesday... The Board, however, will also be convened on Friday... There will be a special Panel meeting in August...
(where Commission, Committee, Board and Panel are all the same entity,but the reader may think that they are four different groups).

[Edited at 2015-07-02 16:17 GMT]
Collapse

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're totally right Jul 2, 2015

But the deadline is short and there is not time for review after everyone finishes it. The translation and review are "on-the-go", or "back-and-forth" if you prefer.

And, besides, I didn't know what was waiting for me when I accepted this job.

Anyway, I can't give up now. I have to do it and make the best I can to have a consistency.

Thank you for your opinion!

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
English to German
Not really Jul 2, 2015

This tool allows splitting huge files in smaller chunks and then merge *these* back into the original one when finished. Unfortunately, it does not work the other way round.

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
This is why I advocate telling the client.. Jul 2, 2015

about these kinds of potential problems. Many times documents are genuinely needed quickly, but most of the time they are not. The client may propose an arbitrary deadline (not knowing how long a good translation takes or the hazards of rushing) or the agency may fear quoting a longer time period out of fear of losing the client, but if clients were told about how much better the translation would be if they would wait a little longer and how much more value they would be getting for their money... See more
about these kinds of potential problems. Many times documents are genuinely needed quickly, but most of the time they are not. The client may propose an arbitrary deadline (not knowing how long a good translation takes or the hazards of rushing) or the agency may fear quoting a longer time period out of fear of losing the client, but if clients were told about how much better the translation would be if they would wait a little longer and how much more value they would be getting for their money, I believe the vast majority would ultimately choose to wait. The market has become so competitive, that no one wants to risk losing a project by attempting to educate a client. The result that clients end up paying more money for what could potentially be an inferior product.

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa wrote:

But the deadline is short and there is not time for review after everyone finishes it. The translation and review are "on-the-go", or "back-and-forth" if you prefer.

And, besides, I didn't know what was waiting for me when I accepted this job.

Anyway, I can't give up now. I have to do it and make the best I can to have a consistency.

Thank you for your opinion!

[Edited at 2015-07-02 16:47 GMT]
Collapse

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know. But I can't. Jul 2, 2015

Client (agency) is quite mad at me at the moment because I'm bugging them about that. They split the huge files among the translators and now they are sending them to me in pieces and I have also to deliver each piece each week. Then the translators will "run" my memory on their pieces. This will not work.

The better I do is to review each piece and keep my own pieces right here. In the end I can run a QA using an external program and try to fix those.

I'd really like
... See more
Client (agency) is quite mad at me at the moment because I'm bugging them about that. They split the huge files among the translators and now they are sending them to me in pieces and I have also to deliver each piece each week. Then the translators will "run" my memory on their pieces. This will not work.

The better I do is to review each piece and keep my own pieces right here. In the end I can run a QA using an external program and try to fix those.

I'd really like to have a better way to do this!

Thank you anyway!
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh, I'm not talking about you... Jul 2, 2015

... and I don't envy your position. I was referring to when a translation order is initially taken from a customer.

I hate delivering a translation in pieces or to use the term I absolutely hate "on a rolling basis". I prefer to create a rough draft of the whole project, with the freedom to make numerous chances as I go and as I become more knowledgeable about the document/company/project and then edit the entire document and then proofread the entire document. Providing a document
... See more
... and I don't envy your position. I was referring to when a translation order is initially taken from a customer.

I hate delivering a translation in pieces or to use the term I absolutely hate "on a rolling basis". I prefer to create a rough draft of the whole project, with the freedom to make numerous chances as I go and as I become more knowledgeable about the document/company/project and then edit the entire document and then proofread the entire document. Providing a document in batches completely disrupts my work flow (I am thinking in the foreign language when writing the draft and then thinking in English when editing). I especially hate it because I think it is only done as a micro-management tool because the company wants to make sure that the translator is working on the document now and not working on other projects and/or procrastinating.

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa wrote:

I'd really like to have a better way to do this!

Thank you anyway!

[Edited at 2015-07-02 16:52 GMT]
Collapse

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the ideal world. Jul 2, 2015

But in the agencies world it doesn't work like that...

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Possible but real hell Jul 2, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

So, if Translator A translates the term "xxxx" as "aaaa" and Translator B uses the term "bbbb" and Translator C uses the term "cccc" and Translator D uses the term "dddd" and you receive Translator A's document first, review it and enter it into the TM, then when it is picked up as a match in Translator B, C and D's document, it gets charged to "aaaa" (which would normally be ok to make all the terminology consistent - assuming that Translator A's choice was the best), but in those sections of Translator B, C and D's work that do not contain repetitions, this will result in the use of translation "aaaa" (in the TM) and translations "bbbb".,.. etc. in the same section?

Therefore, wouldn't it be better to wait until everything is translated first? Otherwise, the document will be all over the place.

Example:

The Commission met on Monday... The Committee will meet again on Wednesday... The Board, however, will also be convened on Friday... There will be a special Panel meeting in August...
(where Commission, Committee, Board and Panel are all the same entity,but the reader may think that they are four different groups).

[Edited at 2015-07-02 16:17 GMT]

Jeff, if you opt for the term "aaa", you just stick to it (and adapt all other translators' work accordingly). Have done it and would not like to do it again. It is like all the responsibility is shifted to your side. You are not only reviewing the language quality but you are also changing terminology (this is granted, because no matter how good the translators are, they will use different terminology in most of the cases).

Much more reasonable option is to wait until all translation work "subsides" and then get started with the review work.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:38
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Fire-fighting Jul 3, 2015

If there is still time, you should immediately prepare a glossary of commonly appearing terms and their acceptable target language equivalents and distribute it to all the translators immediately, and ask them to strictly follow that in the remaining translations.

A style sheet with common usage practices for the project should also be prepared and distributed to the translators with the strict instruction that it should be scrupulously followed.

That way you will be ab
... See more
If there is still time, you should immediately prepare a glossary of commonly appearing terms and their acceptable target language equivalents and distribute it to all the translators immediately, and ask them to strictly follow that in the remaining translations.

A style sheet with common usage practices for the project should also be prepared and distributed to the translators with the strict instruction that it should be scrupulously followed.

That way you will be able to reduce variations at the source itself and you will be able to reduce your work load.

If you or your agency client had done this at the start of the project, you would be in a more comfortable position.

May be you could remember this the next time and begin a large editing project by first preparing a glossary and style sheet.

Translators should be encouraged to add new terms to a cloud based glossary to which all have access so that they can maintain conformity on the go. You should of course as editor keep an eye on the glossary and modify it if necessary to avoid wrong terms going into it.

[Edited at 2015-07-03 13:03 GMT]
Collapse

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Balasubramaniam Jul 3, 2015

You're absolutely right! This should have been done first place, before everyone begins. But I was "invited" to join the team when they had already started. Your description is what I'd call "a real project management". It was not done, unfortunately.

But we are already preparing a glossary, it will be done by Monday. As for Style Guide, we are following Microsoft's.

As for leaving it in a cloud-based environment, I hadn't think about that! I'll be using a spreadsheet
... See more
You're absolutely right! This should have been done first place, before everyone begins. But I was "invited" to join the team when they had already started. Your description is what I'd call "a real project management". It was not done, unfortunately.

But we are already preparing a glossary, it will be done by Monday. As for Style Guide, we are following Microsoft's.

As for leaving it in a cloud-based environment, I hadn't think about that! I'll be using a spreadsheet in Dropbox! GREAT idea! Thank you very much!

As for the repetitions, I couldn't think of any method to apply my corrections to these in all the files. I'll have to check them all trusting my memory only. Afterwards, I'll have to use an external QA application to check on those.

Again, thank you very much for your ideas!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to review a huge job with many repetitions

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »