Thread poster: Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 00:57
English to German
+ ...
Jul 25, 2015

I like the auto correct function, but there should be a built-in exception list for obvious things like "e.g." or "i.e." after which I obviously don't want to have a capital letter.
If this seems to be too much trouble for the various languages, you should at least make it possible to manually add exceptions.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:57
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Just Jul 25, 2015

add "g." to your list - that should do the trick:

In Studio:
File - Options - Editor - AutoCorrect - Exceptions _'First letter' tab - Add - OK

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't seem to work Jul 25, 2015

I just checked the list, and there is a "g." already in the exception list for initial capitalization. It doesn't seem to do anything.

[Edited at 2015-07-25 13:41 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Is Jul 25, 2015

the correct target language set in the autocorrect window?

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jul 25, 2015

I found the problem - the exception works for g. but it doesn't work for e.g.

So I get:

We will buy e.g. Properties with underperforming....

but:

We will buy g. properties with underperforming....

Unfortunately, you can't add "e.g." to the exception list for some reason.

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Turned off the function Aug 2, 2015

The function of autocorrecting small letters after a full-stop is currently entirely useless.
It makes many, many more false corrections than correct ones.
Perhaps it is good for speech-to-text users, for everyone else, not so much.

An easy temporary fix would be for SDL to implement a "do not capitalize within segment" option.
That is, Studio should ONLY fix potential errors at the beginning of a segment, never in the middle of a segment.

Iuliana Bozkurt
Iuliana Bozkurt  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 19:57
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Indeed Oct 20, 2015

I came across this post hoping that I could find a solution to this problem. SDL should definitely do something about this! In my case, I translate on a regular basis some engineering documents full of abbreviations followed by full stop and the following word ALWAYS gets capitalized. And I can't do anything about that... As the auto correct list won't let me add those abbreviations to it! How very annoying!!! And useless...

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:57
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
To add to the annyoance Oct 20, 2015

you can't even do a simple Ctrl+z to undo the capitalization, or you can, but you then have to use the mouse to reposition the cursor.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This has been reported... Oct 21, 2015

... reported to development and they will work on a fix. The problem seems to be that you can't add abbreviations with more than one dot in the exceptions list.

In the meantime there is a workaround. Add something like XXX or kust the thing you want without both dots. So e g. for example, and then you can add all the exceptions you like in one go.

Once you have done this you will find that when you create a custom autocorrect setting the language files for the ones y
... See more
... reported to development and they will work on a fix. The problem seems to be that you can't add abbreviations with more than one dot in the exceptions list.

In the meantime there is a workaround. Add something like XXX or kust the thing you want without both dots. So e g. for example, and then you can add all the exceptions you like in one go.

Once you have done this you will find that when you create a custom autocorrect setting the language files for the ones you edited are in here (I used Danish as I just found this workaround for a user):

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\12.0.0.0\AutoCorrectDictionaries\da-DK-1030.autoCorrect

Open this with a text editor and search for your exceptions. They will all be together in one place looking like this for example:

<string>e g.</string><string>bl a.</string><string>o rd.</string>

Now add the correct abbreviation directly in this file and save it.

<string>e.g.</string><string>bl.a.</string><string>o.rd.</string>

Restart Studio and all is well. It is a workaround, and you would be advised to keep a copy of the corrected strings in case there is another update before we fix it that overwites these changes (I don't expect this, but I'm also cautious).

Hope that helps until we fix it.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

[Edited at 2015-10-21 12:26 GMT]
Collapse

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is a very easy to implement fix Oct 23, 2015

Paul, there is fix which should be very easy to implement.
Just limit auto-capitalization to the first word in any segment.
There is absolutely no reason to have that function active within a segment, because it is likely to generate many more false positives than correct positives, even after you fix the exception list.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This is already what happens... Oct 23, 2015

Henning Holthusen wrote:

Paul, there is fix which should be very easy to implement.
Just limit auto-capitalization to the first word in any segment.
There is absolutely no reason to have that function active within a segment, because it is likely to generate many more false positives than correct positives, even after you fix the exception list.

... the reason this particular case capitalises is because it obviously thinks this is a new sentence. If you did write more than one sentence in the same segment, which is perfectly acceptable, then your option would not be helpful.

The resolution is to fix the abbreviation exception to allow multiple full stops.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are of course right, but... Oct 23, 2015

You are of course right that my solution wouldn't catch cases where you accidentally don't capitalize at the start of a new sentence within a segment.
That is however only relevant if the number of correct corrections such a mechanism makes is considerably higher than the number of false positives.

I think that multi-sentence segments are relatively rare depending on the text type. In my legal texts (which often have monstrously long source sentences), I'd guess it's once ever
... See more
You are of course right that my solution wouldn't catch cases where you accidentally don't capitalize at the start of a new sentence within a segment.
That is however only relevant if the number of correct corrections such a mechanism makes is considerably higher than the number of false positives.

I think that multi-sentence segments are relatively rare depending on the text type. In my legal texts (which often have monstrously long source sentences), I'd guess it's once every 20 segments.
In most other texts, where sentences tend to be much shorter, it's probably more like once in 50 or 100 segments for most people.

Of those few times where you have a multi-sentence segment, how often do you have a mistake? Relatively rarely. Perhaps in 5% of the cases? Most people probably end up with one correctable mistake for every 500 to 1000 segments. Not a whole lot.

So unless the auto correction mechanism makes essentially no mistakes where it capitalizes something it shouldn't, it would be better to limit it to just activate at the beginning of the segment.

This applies in particular if capitalization mistakes introduced by the auto correction mechanism are less likely to be found by the spellchecker.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 capitalization problem after "e.g."

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »