Alexandra Becker
Alexandra Becker
Germany
Local time: 10:38
English to German
+ ...
Jul 27, 2015

Dear colleagues,
I recently used the file merge feature in Studio 2015 - I merged 2 xliff files to 1 file. Afterwards, I wanted to separate this file again to have 2 xliff files. However, it seems I can only save these 2 files in original source format (in this case html).
Does anybody have an idea how to get 2 xliffs?
Thanks for your input!
Alexandra

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Why merging multiple xliff files? Jul 27, 2015

As you can join multiple xliff files into one project view without actually merking the xliff files, I wonder why you would actually merge them into 1 file?

But anyway, I think I would try creating a new TM and attach it to the project. The update that TM.

Then create a new project with the two original xliff files (surely you still have them somewhere?), and do a pretranslate of them from the new TM. That way you should be fine, I would think.

I have neve
... See more
As you can join multiple xliff files into one project view without actually merking the xliff files, I wonder why you would actually merge them into 1 file?

But anyway, I think I would try creating a new TM and attach it to the project. The update that TM.

Then create a new project with the two original xliff files (surely you still have them somewhere?), and do a pretranslate of them from the new TM. That way you should be fine, I would think.

I have never merger or unmerged xliff files (I wasn't aware that was a possibility even), so I am not sure how to merge or unmerge multiple xliff files, I am afraid.

Roy
Collapse

Alexandra Becker
Alexandra Becker
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
merge = 1 file in editor window Jul 27, 2015

I use the merge feature to have 1 single file in my editor windows so if I need to search and replace I can do this in 1 file and do not need to open several files (I have sometimes projects with more than 20 files).

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
The merge function in the editor only merges the view, not the actual project files Jul 27, 2015

Go back to the file view, and you should see each separate file in the project listed.

If you go to the language folder (nb-no in my case, I don't know what target language you translate into) you should find the sdlxliff files you search for without any need for any export.

I hope that helps.

Incidentally I wonder if you have a different version than I. I am using SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance, and I don't see any function that is actually named "merge
... See more
Go back to the file view, and you should see each separate file in the project listed.

If you go to the language folder (nb-no in my case, I don't know what target language you translate into) you should find the sdlxliff files you search for without any need for any export.

I hope that helps.

Incidentally I wonder if you have a different version than I. I am using SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance, and I don't see any function that is actually named "merge". Instead I can mark multiple sdlxliff files in the Files view, right click them and open them in Editor views as one project file. But that still leaves the individual files intact, but I can work on them all in one go instead of opening each individual file.

In other words, no need for merging sdlxliff files here.

Roy

[Edited at 2015-07-27 13:12 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandra Becker
Alexandra Becker
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No target xliffs in de-de folder Jul 27, 2015

Hi Roy,
I can find the 2 files in my De-De folder but they are untranslated... Only when saving the virtually merged file, I have 2 different files again, but in the source format (html in my case) and not in xliff format... (I get xliffs from the customer and need to deliver xliffs)
Best wishes,
Alexandra

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Update the TM with your translation, and pretranslate the two original sdlxliff files Jul 27, 2015

As I mentioned earlier on, I would update the TM with your translation of the merged sdlxliff file.

Then I would open the two original sdlxliff files in the Files view and pretranslate them.

Of course, you would have to open them in the Editor file to make certain that all is translated.

But I am still somewhat curious regarding the merge function, as I don't find it in my copy of Studio 2015, so I guess you perhaps have the Professional version rather than
... See more
As I mentioned earlier on, I would update the TM with your translation of the merged sdlxliff file.

Then I would open the two original sdlxliff files in the Files view and pretranslate them.

Of course, you would have to open them in the Editor file to make certain that all is translated.

But I am still somewhat curious regarding the merge function, as I don't find it in my copy of Studio 2015, so I guess you perhaps have the Professional version rather than the Freelance version? If you are a translator and not a bureau, I think the Freelance version would be best suited. I know some feel 5 languages is a limitation, but I am only translating from English, Danish and Swedish into Norwegian, so 5 languages suites me well.

Roy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 file merge - separation in xliff

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »