Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:04
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2015

One of my clients needs an "Adobe InDesign" file with the *.indd file extension to be translated.

I am currently using the SDL Trados Studio 2015 - 12.0.4811.0 Freelance version, but I still have 2014 installed. It seems to be possible to process InDesign files with the *.inx and *.idml file extensions, but not with the *.indd file extension.

Does anyone know of a workaround that would allow me to be able to process files with the *.indd file extension?

Th
... See more
One of my clients needs an "Adobe InDesign" file with the *.indd file extension to be translated.

I am currently using the SDL Trados Studio 2015 - 12.0.4811.0 Freelance version, but I still have 2014 installed. It seems to be possible to process InDesign files with the *.inx and *.idml file extensions, but not with the *.indd file extension.

Does anyone know of a workaround that would allow me to be able to process files with the *.indd file extension?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Paul
Collapse

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
Local time: 13:04
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Studio 2015 - no, but.. Jul 27, 2015

memoQ, Wordbee, or ask you client for IDML (usually not a problem).

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:04
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
If push comes to shove... Jul 27, 2015

Paul Malone wrote:

In theory you could take out a 1-month subscription to Adobe's single app Creative Cloud plan for InDesign, which costs a bit less than 30 pounds a month in the UK, download InDesign, install, load the indd file into InDesign, export an idml file, suck that file into Studio, then cancel the Creative Cloud sub when the job is done and charge the client for the 30 quid.

But I think Alexander's suggestion of asking the client for the idml file is probably less hassle.

Regards
Dan

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:04
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Jul 27, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Paul Malone wrote:

In theory you could take out a 1-month subscription to Adobe's single app Creative Cloud plan for InDesign, which costs a bit less than 30 pounds a month in the UK, download InDesign, install, load the indd file into InDesign, export an idml file, suck that file into Studio, then cancel the Creative Cloud sub when the job is done and charge the client for the 30 quid.

Yes, you can do that, and I do it about once a year for a particular client. But be aware that doing this may break the links in the document to embedded images and other content. Not being an Adobe InDesign expert I tell the client that their DTP expert will have to reconstruct the document.

[Edited at 2015-07-27 17:56 GMT]

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Adobe InDesign *.indd and *idml files Jul 28, 2015

As suggested before, just ask your client to send a *.idml (InDesign Markup Language) file and Studio 2015 (and 2014) will be able to read and to process it. This should not be a problem for your client as it requires only few seconds (depending from the complexity and size of original *.indd document).

When you create and process an *.idml file you do not break any link to images present in the *.indd file (in fact when opening an *indd file, what you see is a low-resolution images
... See more
As suggested before, just ask your client to send a *.idml (InDesign Markup Language) file and Studio 2015 (and 2014) will be able to read and to process it. This should not be a problem for your client as it requires only few seconds (depending from the complexity and size of original *.indd document).

When you create and process an *.idml file you do not break any link to images present in the *.indd file (in fact when opening an *indd file, what you see is a low-resolution images preview) but, simply, they will be replaced by a grey image placeholder. In an InDesign project, original (medium-high resolution) images, normally, are stored in a “Link” folder.

After having translated the *idml file using SDL Studio 2015 (2014) and when your client will receive and open it in InDesign all grey images placeholders will be replaced by the images “previews” (as he/she has the original “Link” folder).

In any case, if you do not have InDesign installed on your machine, you will not be able the final layout but, if you want, you can export your translated *sdlxliff file using the command Review > Export for Bilingual Review to generate a MS Word tabular document (as usual).

If you have the same (or higher) Adobe InDesign version installed on your machine and if you want to see the final layout WITH images preview, ask your client to send the “Link” folder (part of the Adobe InDesign project).

I hope this might help.

Claudio
Collapse

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Issue resolved, thank you! Jul 28, 2015

Yes, I have indeed (finally) managed to persuade the client to send me the *.idml file, and it works perfectly in Studio 2015.

Many thanks to all of you for all your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. I greatly appreciate all your help!

Kind regards to everyone,
Paul

Alexandra Wahl
Alexandra Wahl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:04
German to English
+ ...
which version of In Design supported? Dec 13, 2015

I hope it's OK that I am "hijacking" this thread, but I have a simliar problem - after receiving an indd file from a client and finding out it cannot be translated in Studio 2015, I found this thread and consequently asked the client to send me the idml file.
He did and I tried to import the file and received this error message: The selected IDML file was created by an unsupported version of Adobe InDesign and will not be processed
Origin: IDML v 1.0.0.0

So, before pest
... See more
I hope it's OK that I am "hijacking" this thread, but I have a simliar problem - after receiving an indd file from a client and finding out it cannot be translated in Studio 2015, I found this thread and consequently asked the client to send me the idml file.
He did and I tried to import the file and received this error message: The selected IDML file was created by an unsupported version of Adobe InDesign and will not be processed
Origin: IDML v 1.0.0.0

So, before pestering the client again, I would like to be able to tell him exactly what I need. Does anybody know which InDesign version is supported or do you have any other idea of a workaround for this issue?

Thanks a lot and have a nice Sunday!
Alexandra
Collapse

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
IDML flter settings Dec 14, 2015

Hi Alexandra,

open the Adobe InDesign CS4-CC IDML file filter (Options > File Types) activate "Common" section and check the box "Process unsupported file versions" and then click on OK, as here below:

This should resolve the problem allowing you to process the file using SDL Studio 2015.

Anyway, feel free to contact me directly via E-mail if you need further information.

I hope this might help.

Claudio

[Edited at 2015-12-14 07:32 GMT]

Clara Maltras

Abdullah Yetim
Abdullah Yetim  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks! Mar 29, 2016

Hi Claudio,

thank you very much for your time, it's really worked out.

A. Sercan

Pieter Beens
Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
A workaround May 21, 2016

If the proposed solution doesn't work, you might try the workaround: https://www.vertaalt.nu/blog/trados-indd-translation-indd-files-trados-studio/

Laura Garcia Mesa
Laura Garcia Mesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:04
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Still not being able to process idml Mar 14, 2017

Hi all! This is such a useful thread.
However and much to my disappointment even after trying "process unsupported file version" I still got the warnings and the "Unknown file" and "the project must at least include one translatable file" (when I uploaded 12 .IDML files)
I have been searching and searching for clues as to what it is I am doing wrong or how to go about these files and still no answer.
My solution would be to convert iDML files into PDF and then process the files
... See more
Hi all! This is such a useful thread.
However and much to my disappointment even after trying "process unsupported file version" I still got the warnings and the "Unknown file" and "the project must at least include one translatable file" (when I uploaded 12 .IDML files)
I have been searching and searching for clues as to what it is I am doing wrong or how to go about these files and still no answer.
My solution would be to convert iDML files into PDF and then process the files in Studio, but I really wanted to learn the way around TRADOS and IDML files.
So if you have any idea as to how could i work this out, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Maria
Collapse

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
InDesign for Mac? Mar 15, 2017

Hi Laura,

For the past months I've been having problems with IDMLs and the same problem as you.

The problem was solved when the IDML was created using InDesign for Mac (instead of InDeisgn for Windows). I use Trados Studio 2014 to open the IDMLs.

I hope it helps,

… Jesús Prieto …

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Studio 2015 process an .indd file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »