Thread poster: Richard Hill
Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:20
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jul 27, 2015

I posted this problem here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/288664-studio_2014_freezing_for_2nd_consecutive_occasion_in_middle_of_big_job.html a few days ago, with 299 views only one comment so far.

The problem persists and is causing me a lot of wasted hours in trying to complete a 40,
... See more
I posted this problem here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/288664-studio_2014_freezing_for_2nd_consecutive_occasion_in_middle_of_big_job.html a few days ago, with 299 views only one comment so far.

The problem persists and is causing me a lot of wasted hours in trying to complete a 40,000-word job.

I just reviewed the first 10k which needs delivering today and having made corrections in the offending segments, and when I try to confirm them, Studio freezes again.

The only thing I can think of to let me get on with my translation is not to confirm those segments and just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen with new segments in the remaining 30,000 words, although I don't hold out much hope.

I really hope a knowledgeable user or someone from SDL can help with this and take a look at the problem file. As previously mentioned, if I copy just three segments of the offending text into a plain text file and then re-copy and paste back to a word file, the resulting 3 segment document causes the same problem in Studio. So there is no need to analyze the big 40k doc, just the one page doc.

Your help would be much appreciated as this is costing me scarce time, considering this is a big legal job with a tight deadline.

Thanks in advance.

Richard
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:20
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Richard Jul 27, 2015

Most probably the file contains a small hidden embedded object that Studio is unable to swallow.
You can check hidden stuff in that place, or re-save the file (in the same format) in Open Office - this helps to get rid of such objects.

Please feel free to send me the page with the cut-out offending text to take a look.

Natalia

Richard Hill
Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Open Office Jul 27, 2015

Hi Natalia,

That makes good sense. Sort of what I was thinking, being the reason why I copied and pasted to a plain text file then back again to Word. But I hadn't thought of trying it in Open Office, which I've never used. But I will download it and give it a go.

I'm interested to see how Open Office deals with the 40k word file and whether it respects all the formatting, especially considering that it's a pretty complex filed with many textboxes and other elements.... See more
Hi Natalia,

That makes good sense. Sort of what I was thinking, being the reason why I copied and pasted to a plain text file then back again to Word. But I hadn't thought of trying it in Open Office, which I've never used. But I will download it and give it a go.

I'm interested to see how Open Office deals with the 40k word file and whether it respects all the formatting, especially considering that it's a pretty complex filed with many textboxes and other elements.

In the meantime, that would be great if you could take a look at the one-page file.

I've sent it to you via Proz.

Many thanks!

Richard
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Received Jul 27, 2015

Will finish my work in a while and will take a look at it.

Natalia

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hmm Jul 27, 2015

My Studio has dealt with your file without any problem, allowed me to confirm all segments and save the target file. I don't see anything wrong with these segments (no hidden element or whatever), so my another guess is that the problem may be caused by some "forbidden" combination of letters/symbols.

Another guess: if you say that freezing occurs when you try to confirm the segment the problem may be caused with writing to the TM - open the TM and check these segments there (and p
... See more
My Studio has dealt with your file without any problem, allowed me to confirm all segments and save the target file. I don't see anything wrong with these segments (no hidden element or whatever), so my another guess is that the problem may be caused by some "forbidden" combination of letters/symbols.

Another guess: if you say that freezing occurs when you try to confirm the segment the problem may be caused with writing to the TM - open the TM and check these segments there (and probably delete them).

And even one more thing: you can confirm these weird segments by right-clicking and choosing Change segment status - Translated. This will prevent Studio from propagating (freezing may be also caused by the process of searching for similar segments to propagate the result of the translation).

Natalia

[Edited at 2015-07-27 23:06 GMT]
Collapse

Richard Hill
Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
confirm by right clicking Jul 27, 2015

... is a good workaround for now.

Deleting the TUs is one thing I had tried previously, but even so, the very same text causes the same problem next time around.

Oh well, have to wait and see how the next 30k words pan out.

Thanks so much for checking this out for me, Natalia.

Richard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent help required from knowledgeable Trados Studio users or SDL

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »