Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:52
German to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2015

Hallo,

I am translating a single file in Trados Studio 2014 and, well, is it possible to switch around target and source language midway? (It isn't something huge, I could start over)

I've found this but it only seems to be for Trados 2011.
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/studioutilitiespro-589.html

Wo
... See more
Hallo,

I am translating a single file in Trados Studio 2014 and, well, is it possible to switch around target and source language midway? (It isn't something huge, I could start over)

I've found this but it only seems to be for Trados 2011.
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/studioutilitiespro-589.html

Would be grateful for your advice!

Regards,
Anu

p.s. It isn't something huge, I could start over...
Collapse

Luca Vaccari
Luca Vaccari  Identity Verified
Italy
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Change language codes with NotePad Jul 30, 2015

Open your Xliff-file with a note pad, look for the language code, eg. IT-IT and change it to what you want, eg. DE-DE. Of course, you must then open file with a "new" memory with the same language pair.

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
okay, Jul 30, 2015

I closed the file in Trados, changed the languages. Now I get the message: the detected source language does not match that expected by the project.

Liselotte K. de Hennig
Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:52
Spanish to German
+ ...
Any TM Jul 30, 2015

I had good results after downloading and installing AnyTM from Transaltionzone.com:

The AnyTM Translation Provider allows you to use any translation memory with SDL Trados Studio, regardless of whether its source and target languages match the languages of your translation project. It also supports reversing TMs and mixed-source language document translation.

Once installed, restart SDL Trados Studio and go to the Project Settings followed by Language Pairs, All Languag
... See more
I had good results after downloading and installing AnyTM from Transaltionzone.com:

The AnyTM Translation Provider allows you to use any translation memory with SDL Trados Studio, regardless of whether its source and target languages match the languages of your translation project. It also supports reversing TMs and mixed-source language document translation.

Once installed, restart SDL Trados Studio and go to the Project Settings followed by Language Pairs, All Language Pairs and then Translation Memory and Automated Translation. Click 'add' and choose AnyTM. Make sure it's enabled and then you will have the ability to choose any TM you have and it will let you use it.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
New project Jul 30, 2015

Swaiyam wrote:
the detected source language does not match that expected by the project.

You need to create a new project with the new language direction, and then you can use your old TM following Liselotte's recommendation (AnyTM).
I'd use the original source file and translate it using the original TM as an AnyTM.

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 31, 2015

Thank you for the advice - I now know that I'd need to create a new project.

I'd already continued my translation in Word, so I've not used AnyTM this time. Will keep it in mind though for next time (Hope I don't ever need it, though!)

Regards,
Anu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Switching languages midway

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »