Thread poster: Luisa Villani
Luisa Villani
Luisa Villani
Italy
Local time: 16:56
German to Italian
+ ...
Aug 4, 2015

I have a project consisting of two gettext files with exptension .pot, when I try to prepare or analyse them I get an error at the first step "Convert to translatable format: 2 messages reported - errors: 2, warning: 0". This is the only information I get. I have checked project settings to ensure that the file extension is included and actually it is. Can you help me any further?

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
PowerPoint? Aug 4, 2015

Hi there,
This is just a guess but maybe your customer should send you the original PowerPoint (.ppt(x)) file instead of a portable presentation (.pot).
I don't actually know whether or not .pot files can be translated.
-Mike-

Luisa Villani
Luisa Villani
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually they should Aug 4, 2015

Marketing-Lang. wrote:

Hi there,
This is just a guess but maybe your customer should send you the original PowerPoint (.ppt(x)) file instead of a portable presentation (.pot).
I don't actually know whether or not .pot files can be translated.
-Mike-

Actually they should: when checking project settings I find that extension among the many supported files together with both its previous and later versions. I also downloaded POedit, which allows me to open the file, but it is not possible to access word count and statistics data without upgrading to the complete version, so I'm not able to make an offer at all at the moment

Luisa Villani
Luisa Villani
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further info: It is a gettext file for the translation of a multilanguage website Aug 4, 2015

By googling I understand it is a file type made available by wordpress for the translation of website content.

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
We live and learn. Aug 4, 2015

Good luck
-Mike-

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error occurs when trying to prepare or just analyse .pot files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »