Allyson Sigman
Allyson Sigman
United States
Local time: 08:38
Member (2018)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2015

I was hoping someone out there could give me advice about how best to format a multiterm, multilingual glossary.

I work in-house translating for a company that wants to use Multiterm Workflow to provide an online glossary to other bilingual associates (non-translators). Therefore, they are having me go back through my shoddily constructed termbase and organize it, adding lots of supplementary information about word types and usage that will help when they convert to a more broadly u
... See more
I was hoping someone out there could give me advice about how best to format a multiterm, multilingual glossary.

I work in-house translating for a company that wants to use Multiterm Workflow to provide an online glossary to other bilingual associates (non-translators). Therefore, they are having me go back through my shoddily constructed termbase and organize it, adding lots of supplementary information about word types and usage that will help when they convert to a more broadly used glossary.

So my question is, for those of you who keep that kind of detailed information in your termbases, how do you define each of the many category options multiterm gives you?

For example, on a given term, I can currently fill in:
Note, Context, Source, and Status.

I am pretty clear on Note but the other three are a mystery. If anyone fills out their termbases to this degree, could you give me an example of how you use each of those items?
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:38
French to English
+ ...
Note, Context, Source, and Status are just suggestions Aug 5, 2015

I don't know what a "glossary" is and how it is different from a termbase. I assume you are talking about crating a termbase with fields.

You can use any fields you need at any level as well as add, delete, duplicate or modify them as you wish at any level.

Paul Filkin's video on working with fields in MT is very helpful: https://youtu.be/inII6PCTWfA

Please note that o
... See more
I don't know what a "glossary" is and how it is different from a termbase. I assume you are talking about crating a termbase with fields.

You can use any fields you need at any level as well as add, delete, duplicate or modify them as you wish at any level.

Paul Filkin's video on working with fields in MT is very helpful: https://youtu.be/inII6PCTWfA

Please note that once the fields are used, they can no longer be edited, so think carefully what fields you need, or you may have to re-create the termbase. You should consider all the needs that your users may have, such as User ID, verified/not verified term (aka Status), where the term originated (aka Source) etc.

HTH,

Sandra
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for formatting SDL Multiterm Glossary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »