Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 20:08
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 19, 2015

Unfortunately Studio 2015 shows a very inconvenient behaviour when using it together with DNS 13. Whenever I dictate a word whose first letter(s) correspond with a AutoSuggest or Termbank entry, the typing is interrupted and the list of suggested terms opens. This didn't happen in 2014.

Any ideas what I could do about this? As long as there is no workaround for this, I will have to complete this project in memoQ...

Best regards,
Anna

JoelD
JoelD  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
Japanese to English
SAME PROBLEM Sep 2, 2015

I just ran into this problem.

I used to be able use older versions of DNS with older versions of Trados with no issue. This is going to kill my productivity!

SDL -- please address this ASAP!

JoelD
JoelD  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
Use Dictation Box Sep 2, 2015

I found a workaround. Click Tools in your DragonBar, then choose "Use Dictation Box".

I'd rather work directly in Studio so I could mix and match when I use DNS and when I select AutoSuggest entries, but this will work for now.

I would upload a Report to the SDL site, but the SDL Knowledge Base is the most user-unfriendly website I can't be bothered.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Confusing productivity... Sep 2, 2015

Hi,

I'm struggling with the concept of AutoSuggest and DNS. Why would you want AutoSuggest at all if you're using DNS? It seems to defeat the object for me. Why not just disable AutoSuggest?

This doesn't mean we are not looking at this. The KB is not the place to report anything, it's just a KB. If you want to report something use the SDL Community... we even have a Speech to Text Community in there and in fact this issue has already been raised, discussed, and it
... See more
Hi,

I'm struggling with the concept of AutoSuggest and DNS. Why would you want AutoSuggest at all if you're using DNS? It seems to defeat the object for me. Why not just disable AutoSuggest?

This doesn't mean we are not looking at this. The KB is not the place to report anything, it's just a KB. If you want to report something use the SDL Community... we even have a Speech to Text Community in there and in fact this issue has already been raised, discussed, and it is being looked at.

Here's a few useful communities you can use for help or to report something, but there are many more:

Translation Productivity
https://community.sdl.com/products-solutions/language/translationproductivity/

SDL Trados Speech to Text
https://community.sdl.com/sdl-groups/speech_to_text/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use them together all the time, in Studio, memoQ and Wordfast Sep 2, 2015

It is especially handy with company names, proper names and anything else that is not easily recognized by DNS.

In fact, when using DNS, I am usually half typing (or using Autosuggest) and half dictating.

And there must be at least a handful of other people that use the same approach and would like to have this functionality back - me and Joe in this forum and some of the members of the Speech to Text Community you mentioned.

Personally, I would like to use
... See more
It is especially handy with company names, proper names and anything else that is not easily recognized by DNS.

In fact, when using DNS, I am usually half typing (or using Autosuggest) and half dictating.

And there must be at least a handful of other people that use the same approach and would like to have this functionality back - me and Joe in this forum and some of the members of the Speech to Text Community you mentioned.

Personally, I would like to use DNS without havivng to use the Dictation Box. It is much faster to dictate directly in the editor.

I really hope this will be restored!
Collapse

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Reason why you would want both AutoSuggest and DNS Sep 5, 2015

Hi Paul,

As Anna says, the reason why you'd want both is to avoid having to spell out proper names - especially those with every word capitalised - every time that you need to use them.

Last week, using Dragon and Trados Studio 2014, I translated a long document containing the words "School of Business, Economics and Law at Gothenburg University" several hundred times. If I'd had to spell each of these out every time I would now be a gibbering wreck. As it was, I coul
... See more
Hi Paul,

As Anna says, the reason why you'd want both is to avoid having to spell out proper names - especially those with every word capitalised - every time that you need to use them.

Last week, using Dragon and Trados Studio 2014, I translated a long document containing the words "School of Business, Economics and Law at Gothenburg University" several hundred times. If I'd had to spell each of these out every time I would now be a gibbering wreck. As it was, I could say "School" and then press Enter.

I hope this makes it clear why this is really essential! If you could fix it really really quickly this would also be pretty helpful. Otherwise I'm going to have to go back to Studio 2014, which is very much not my ideal solution and makes a nonsense of you developing the new version!
Collapse

JoelD
JoelD  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
THANK YOU Sep 8, 2015

Thank you Anna and Jane!

For me, using them together is essential because my documents are chock full of Japanese place names and institution names. I know you can train DNS to "hear" them, but honestly, that is a PITA and it is much easier to use the suggestions generated from my TMs.

So, it may only be the three of us, but that's why we need this functionality (which, by the way worked fine up until 2014)!

Jonathan von Zelowitz
Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Yes, it's a problem Sep 15, 2015

Well, I'm user #4 who is terribly inconvenienced by this and I would guess that there are more.

Paul, speech recognition is a replacement for the keyboard, not for the intelligent database-type functions of AS, Termbase, etc. That is why both need to work concurrently.

When I start dictating a term recognized by AS, Trados "blocks" on the first letter. Previously, it worked properly (as if I had typed what I dictated).

Thanks for listening!

Jon
... See more
Well, I'm user #4 who is terribly inconvenienced by this and I would guess that there are more.

Paul, speech recognition is a replacement for the keyboard, not for the intelligent database-type functions of AS, Termbase, etc. That is why both need to work concurrently.

When I start dictating a term recognized by AS, Trados "blocks" on the first letter. Previously, it worked properly (as if I had typed what I dictated).

Thanks for listening!

Jon
Studio 2015 Freelance 12.0.4837.1
DNS 12.5
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This is in hand. Sep 15, 2015

Hi all,

This problem is being worked on with the intention to release a fix in the next update (probably next month).

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Good news! Sep 16, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Hi all,

This problem is being worked on with the intention to release a fix in the next update (probably next month).

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

This is good to hear, Paul. A shame it fell by the wayside to begin with!

Jonathan von Zelowitz
France
French to English
good news Sep 17, 2015

Thanks, Paul!

Michiel Zijlstra
Michiel Zijlstra  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
... Oct 2, 2015

[Edited at 2015-10-02 15:01 GMT]

Aubéline Brandamir
Aubéline Brandamir  Identity Verified
France
English to French
same tools, same issue. Solution? Oct 3, 2015

Hello everyone,

I just found your post trying to find a solution to this issue.
It indeed worked perfectly fine in 2014.

It seems it has not yet been solved.

Eagerly waiting for the fix!

[Edited at 2015-10-03 13:26 GMT]

Jonathan von Zelowitz
France
French to English
not just Dragon Oct 13, 2015

FYI: Today I noticed that it also happens if you manage to type faster than the autosuggest, so it's not just a Dragon-related problem. If I'm not mistaken, it's a race condition in the software.

[Edited at 2015-10-13 19:27 GMT]

József Hegyi
József Hegyi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Problem resolved? Apr 15, 2016

Dear Colleagues,

Is there any update on this issue?

Has any of the service packs solved the problem?

Thank you for your response in advance!

BR: Jozsef

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2015 and Dragon - Problem with AutoSuggest and Termbases

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »