ElinFritiofsson
ElinFritiofsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:38
French to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 29, 2015

Hi!

I'm working with a studio project I received from a client, but I can't format the text in the segments - the buttons for bold, italic, underline etc. are all grayed out. The shortcuts (like Ctrl+B) don't work either.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this? Can I display text formatting tags in some way and edit them(now, even with "Full Tag Text" nothing shows)?

The only way I can apply the formatting now is to copy source to target and edit
... See more
Hi!

I'm working with a studio project I received from a client, but I can't format the text in the segments - the buttons for bold, italic, underline etc. are all grayed out. The shortcuts (like Ctrl+B) don't work either.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this? Can I display text formatting tags in some way and edit them(now, even with "Full Tag Text" nothing shows)?

The only way I can apply the formatting now is to copy source to target and edit from there, so I would greatly appreciate any help!

UPDATE /**I can of course use the Ctrl+Alt+Down to QuickPlace the tags, maybe that is indeed the best option **/

[Edited at 2015-08-29 18:19 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:38
English to Thai
+ ...
Locked texts against editing??? Aug 29, 2015

ElinFritiofsson wrote:

The only way I can apply the formatting now is to copy source to target and edit from there, so I would greatly appreciate any help!

option **/

[Edited at 2015-08-29 18:19 GMT]

I guess you are speaking of Trados Studio 2011 or later.

The most possible reason is locking of texts against editing.
Or
Hidden text shown in tag strings.
For older versions of trados, formatting tag texts are fully visible to edit.

Soonthon L.

Linda Houd
Linda Houd  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
English to French
+ ...
Same formatting problem Dec 15, 2016

Hi Elin,

I'm running into the same problem. And I came across your post as I was looking for a solution to fix this.
The formatting options are grayed out for the specific document I'm working on (but not for the other documents I worked on before).
And none of the formatting shortcuts (Ctrl+b/I...) seem to work.
I'm using SDL Traods 2014.
Did you find a way to fix this?
I thought it might be related to the document original format.

Best r
... See more
Hi Elin,

I'm running into the same problem. And I came across your post as I was looking for a solution to fix this.
The formatting options are grayed out for the specific document I'm working on (but not for the other documents I worked on before).
And none of the formatting shortcuts (Ctrl+b/I...) seem to work.
I'm using SDL Traods 2014.
Did you find a way to fix this?
I thought it might be related to the document original format.

Best regards
Collapse

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Which format is the document? Dec 17, 2016

If the filetype doesn't allow formatting, as a plain text TXT file, for example, those buttons will be disabled.

… Jesús Prieto …

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
2014 vs 2011 issue Dec 17, 2016

I think I read somewhere that this is to do with compatability between older and newer versions of Studio (ie. you use 2011 and the agency uses 2015). Ask the PM to make sure they have correct records on which version of Studio you use and if absolutely necessary to send you a 2011-friendly version of the package.

boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:38
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Edit your project in MemoQ Nov 20, 2017

Subj.
I have had this same problem; MemoQ wasn't sick with any of these chronic Trados diseases.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text formatting (bold/italics etc) grayed out in studio project

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »