Eva_Pfe
Eva_Pfe
Austria
Local time: 22:36
English to German
+ ...
Sep 1, 2015

Hello everybody!

I tried extracting the German and English terminology from a large tmx file today using SDL Trados MultiTerm Extract, but the results were really bad. Although the tool produced a list of German term candidates, the suggested English translations did not match the German terms at all.

Is it normal that bilingual term extraction doesn't work or did I do something wrong?

Does anyone have tipps for improving the results of bilingual ter
... See more
Hello everybody!

I tried extracting the German and English terminology from a large tmx file today using SDL Trados MultiTerm Extract, but the results were really bad. Although the tool produced a list of German term candidates, the suggested English translations did not match the German terms at all.

Is it normal that bilingual term extraction doesn't work or did I do something wrong?

Does anyone have tipps for improving the results of bilingual term extraction with MultiTerm Extract?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Best regards,
Eva
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:36
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
use SynchroTerm instead! Sep 1, 2015

Eva_Pfe wrote:

Hello everybody!

Does anyone have tipps for improving the results of bilingual term extraction with MultiTerm Extract?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Best regards,
Eva

My number one tip would be to use SynchroTerm instead (it's much better)

I've never gotten MultiTerm Extract to work properly.

Michael

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Well, let's compare them... Sep 1, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Eva_Pfe wrote:
I tried extracting the German and English terminology from a large tmx file today using SDL Trados MultiTerm Extract, but the results were really bad.

Well, here's an idea: get Eva's TMX and put it through SynchroTerm and send the results to Eva, who can then report on which tool produced the best results.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good idea! Sep 1, 2015

S youamuel Murray wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
Eva_Pfe wrote:
I tried extracting the German and English terminology from a large tmx file today using SDL Trados MultiTerm Extract, but the results were really bad.

Well, here's an idea: get Eva's TMX and put it through SynchroTerm and send the results to Eva, who can then report on which tool produced the best results.

Sounds like a good idea!

@Eva: if you send me the TMX (unless it's extremely confidential), I can give SynchroTerm a try on it for you.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
quick screencast of SynchroTerm in action Sep 3, 2015

I made a quick screencast to show how it works (no sound due to sleeping baby in next room):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zmHGhZvyb4

PS: SynchroTerm can perform both monolingual extraction and bilingual extraction.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual term extraction in MultiTerm Extract

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »