conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:45
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2015

(Studio 2014)

Hello. I want to know an easy and fast way to copy all the text in one of the columns, to paste it somewhere else as a backup (like in Excel). I know this doesn't get all the tags, but doing this would at least make me feel like I have some sort of backup if Trados decides to go haywire.

So far, the only way I've found to do this is to drag the cursor down the entire column and copy it, which takes a very long time because this file is very long. I want so
... See more
(Studio 2014)

Hello. I want to know an easy and fast way to copy all the text in one of the columns, to paste it somewhere else as a backup (like in Excel). I know this doesn't get all the tags, but doing this would at least make me feel like I have some sort of backup if Trados decides to go haywire.

So far, the only way I've found to do this is to drag the cursor down the entire column and copy it, which takes a very long time because this file is very long. I want something that's fast. Ctrl+A (select all) doesn't seem to work. Selecting the first line and then going to the last line and hitting Shift and trying to select it doesn't seem to work either. I didn't see any other Trados buttons on menus that do this.

The Trados help files don't have any information about this that I could find.

So... how do you select and copy the entire translated column?

Also, is there some other good way to back up the text outside of Trados?

Thanks.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:45
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Ctrl+shift+end Sep 3, 2015

It's the same shortcut that you'd use in Word:
Click at the start of the first segment, then Ctrl+shift+end, then Ctrl+C

All the same, I can't understand why you'd want to back up your work like this.
Why don't you simply use 'save as target' (Shift+F12) and save your work in the native target file format as you go along?

Also, do a daily back-up of all your files, which would include all source and target files, sdlxliffs and TMs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to copy text in large number of rows, and backups

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »