Thread poster: Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:44
Member (2015)
German to English
Sep 3, 2015

How can I add the Ø diameter symbol to the insert symbol function? The size of the one my client uses is a different one to the one offered under "miscellaneous technical".

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ø and ø VS ⌀ Sep 3, 2015

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth wrote:

How can I add the Ø diameter symbol to the insert symbol function? The size of the one my client uses is a different one to the one offered under "miscellaneous technical".

Technically speaking, Ø (or its small friend, ø) are not diameter symbols. This is: ⌀

See:

"Ø or (minuscule: ø) is a vowel and a letter used in the Danish, Norwegian, Faroese and Southern Sami languages and in the (now dead) language Old Swedish. It is mostly used as a representation of mid front rounded vowels, such as [ø] and [œ], except for Southern Sami where it is used as an [oe] diphthong.

[…]

The diameter symbol (⌀) (Unicode character U+2300) is similar to the lowercase letter ø, and in some typefaces it even uses the same glyph, although in many others the glyphs are subtly distinguishable. The diameter symbol is used extensively in engineering drawings, and it is also seen anywhere that abbreviating "diameter" is useful, such as on camera lenses. For example, a lens with a diameter of 82 mm would be labeled ⌀ 82 mm." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ø )

Funnily enough, I ran into this symbol in a text I was working on just the other day. I wanted to use the official symbol (⌀), but because so many fonts can't display it properly, I opted for the one you mentioned (and made a note to the client).

[Edited at 2015-09-03 11:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-03 11:27 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:44
German to Turkish
+ ...
I have the same issue with the µ symbol. Sep 3, 2015

I know it is a letter in the greek alphabet, but is there any way to incorporate it?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
US International layout Sep 3, 2015

Elif Baykara wrote:

I know it is a letter in the greek alphabet…

If it’s µ for units of measurement, it’s not a Greek letter but a special character. Use the US International keyboard layout and press AltGr + m to get µ.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Use table Sep 3, 2015

There is a Word-like table with symbols in Studio 2015. You can add it from there.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
AutpHotkey and/or ArsClip Sep 3, 2015

or use AutoHotkey to insert the symbol with a keyboard shortcut
I currently store stuff like this either in an AHK script (if I want to trigger it with a KBS), or in my clipboard manager's Permanent Clips bar (http://www.joejoesoft.com/vcms/151/ ) (if I want to trigger it by selecting it from a list)

MB

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can't you just... Sep 3, 2015

... add it as a Quick Insert if you can't find the one you want in the "Insert Symbol" tables? Just copy and paste it in and then it'll be permanently available to you.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Paul Sep 3, 2015

but my original question was how do I do that. I'm sure it is possible but I haven't been able to fathom out what I need to do.

Could you perhaps give me some step-by-step instructions please?

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 10:44
English to Russian
Use TransTools Utilities to insert a custom symbol in any application Sep 3, 2015

Hello,

You can also use Insert Symbol command from TransTools Utilities (http://www.translatortools.net/utilities-reference.html#InsertSymbol) to insert any custom visible Unicode symbol in any application (to activate the symbol selection window, Ctrl+Windows Key+S by default).

Best regards,<
... See more
Hello,

You can also use Insert Symbol command from TransTools Utilities (http://www.translatortools.net/utilities-reference.html#InsertSymbol) to insert any custom visible Unicode symbol in any application (to activate the symbol selection window, Ctrl+Windows Key+S by default).

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This article will help... Sep 3, 2015

but my original question was how do I do that. I'm sure it is possible but I haven't been able to fathom out what I need to do.

Could you perhaps give me some step-by-step instructions please?

... http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/10/10/those-dumb-smart-quotes/

The first part shows how to create Quick Inserts. Was written for 2014 but the principle is the same.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ahhh, now I see.. Sep 3, 2015

I shall give this a try, it seems to be what I was looking for.

Thanks everybody.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding a diameter symbol to SDL Studio 2015

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »