Thread poster: Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 10:33
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2015

I know that AnyTM is now integrated into Studio and it's a useful tool, allowing you to reverse your TM, but my question is: why does a user even need it?
AFAIK in DVX3 and MemoQ (don't know how it works in Wordfast Pro) you can assign any translation memory to your project (as long as it's not the one into which your translations are supposed to go) without the need to reverse it. For example for ENG-GER translation I can assign a GER-ENG TM, because the tool simply knows, which language
... See more
I know that AnyTM is now integrated into Studio and it's a useful tool, allowing you to reverse your TM, but my question is: why does a user even need it?
AFAIK in DVX3 and MemoQ (don't know how it works in Wordfast Pro) you can assign any translation memory to your project (as long as it's not the one into which your translations are supposed to go) without the need to reverse it. For example for ENG-GER translation I can assign a GER-ENG TM, because the tool simply knows, which language is which.
Why is it impossible in Studio?
It just makes me wonder...

And one more question from the "why" series. Sorry for the "in other CAT tools" thing, but this seems to be a relevant reference. So... in other CAT tools you can view your whole TM (irrespective of how big it is), by scrolling it down from top to bottom. You can sort it acccording to the segment date creation, user, length of the source or target segment. You can search for repetitive segments, those that have different punctuation at the end etc.
AFAIK most of these, it might seem, basic TM maintenance functions seem to be non-existent. Am I right or perhaps I've missed something?

I'm asking these questions, because in the next few weeks I need to decide, which CAT tool I should purchase now and I simply want to know what each of the tools is capable of.

Oh, and one more question, that SDL has probably been asked million times: any plans to introduce vertical view for segments in the Editor window?

[Edited at 2015-09-05 13:37 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reverse TM or AnyTM - why?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »