Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 16, 2015

Hello everyone

I know that one can customise the ribbon in Trados 2015 (all the promotions materials say so), but... how do I start? Where do I find that option. Right-clicking the ribbon does nothing.

Thanks
Samuel

toversatt
toversatt
Japan
Local time: 19:18
English to Norwegian
+ ...
View > Ribbon Customization Sep 16, 2015

Hi!

You find the options on the View ribbon pane. Click View and Ribbon Customization to get started.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rather disappointed, though Sep 16, 2015

toversatt wrote:
You find the options on the View ribbon pane. Click View and Ribbon Customization to get started.

Thanks.

However, I now see how little customisation is possible. The customisation that I wanted to do, is not possible. See, my problem is that the filter type-in field is too large to fit into the Review ribbon unless I use a very wide window. If the window isn't wide enough, the filter's type-in field appears below the Review ribbon, but it still protrudes to outside the boundary of the Trados window:

Since it's possible to put that type-in field inside the Review ribbon, I assumed that I could add it to a custom ribbon, where it would be on its own, and thus have enough space to sit inside the ribbon and not protrude outside the boundaries of the window.

Alas... the only options that I can put in a custom ribbon are "in source", "in target", "refresh filters" and "reset filters", none of which do anything unless I go to the Review tab and set a filter first. I can also add two more options to the custom ribbon, namely "activate display filters" and "activate display filters search box", but what do you think would happen when I click those icons? Trados switches to the Review tab, away from my custom ribbon, and opens the filter type-in field or filter drop-down list on the Review ribbon. So the custom ribbon is essentially icons that act as shortcuts to the other tabs, and not as shortcuts to the actual features they represent.

To test out my conclusion, I tried to add to my custom ribbon the function to add a comment, but: it's not available. The "add comment" icon is on the Review ribbon, but you can't put it on your custom ribbon.

Then I saw that I can deactivate icons from the default ribbons, and I tried disabling the filter group from the Review tab, to see if that would cause the icons on my custom tab to bring up the filters, but a surprising thing happened: when I clicked "activate display filters", Trados switched to the Review tab... and then did nothing else (since the filter group was no longer there).

I was quite excited when I heard about this customisation feature, but now I realise that you can't really customise anything useful.

Samuel

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What are they doing? Oct 24, 2016

Like you, I tried to put an add comment button on the home tab of the ribbon, which is the only logical place for it, and it appears to be impossible. It's not on the list. In what universe does this make sense? If you go to the trouble of making a customize ribbon window, how do you decide not to put all the buttons in it? The mind boggles.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe... Oct 24, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

Like you, I tried to put an add comment button on the home tab of the ribbon, which is the only logical place for it, and it appears to be impossible. It's not on the list.

... it is because the Add comment button is already present in the Review section? In Word, the Add comment button is also in the Review tab.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
no Oct 24, 2016

Natalie wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

Like you, I tried to put an add comment button on the home tab of the ribbon, which is the only logical place for it, and it appears to be impossible. It's not on the list.

... it is because the Add comment button is already present in the Review section? In Word, the Add comment button is also in the Review tab.

That wouldn't make much sense. The whole point is that you can customize the ribbon, including moving buttons to new places. E.g. "Update from bilingual review" is also on the review section by default, but you can move that to the home section if you want. Add comment was just left off the list, for no reason that makes sense to a normal human being.

[Edited at 2016-10-24 21:08 GMT]

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I see your point Oct 24, 2016

I wasn't clear, probably. I meant that many programs 'don't like' duplicate buttons, so to place a button that already exists you should remove it first. But as Samuel failed to do this, the feature most probably does not work properly.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On having duplicate buttons Oct 24, 2016

Natalie wrote:
I meant that many programs 'don't like' duplicate buttons, so to place a button that already exists you should remove it first.

With how many such programs do you have experience?

I have very little experience with programs that allow for button customisation (actually, only Word 2003 and Opera 12.x) and I have not encountered this limitation that you can't have more than one button for a certain function. But I know that e.g. MS Word 2007+ has severe limitations on what icons can be added to the ribbon, so perhaps it's a ribbon thing.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
With at least three (not counting Word) Oct 24, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:
With how many such programs do you have experience?

SigmaPlot, GraphPad Prism and QuantaMaster- none of them had ribbons, but the behavior of buttons at customization was like I mentioned above.

[Edited at 2016-10-24 22:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2015: how to customise the ribbon

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »