Office 2016 and Studio 2015
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Rytis Stankevičius
Rytis Stankevičius
Lithuania
Local time: 09:20
English to Lithuanian
Office 2016 files in SDL Trados Studio 2014 May 23, 2016

Hi, there is way to use new docx files (xlsx, pptx) in SDL Trados Studio 2014, just open that file with 7-zip, and from docProps folder extract app.xml, there is 16.0000, change 16 to 15 save and replace it back. Now your file is ready to use.

One problem is that, if you have many Office 2016 files, you will have to repeat these steps for all files.

Remy van Tol
Remy van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
This whole things doesn't make sense. Jun 15, 2016

I am jumping into this discussion because I am still in awe with how SDL handles this case. It is outrageous that SDL 2014 can't handle DOCX/XLSX files made in Office 2016 and InDesign files made with the latest version(s) of said programme. Whereas a new version of Trados should provide users with new features and improvements on the core programme itself, document file support is a whole different issue. Apparently unzipping an InDesign file and changing a version number in an xml file saves u... See more
I am jumping into this discussion because I am still in awe with how SDL handles this case. It is outrageous that SDL 2014 can't handle DOCX/XLSX files made in Office 2016 and InDesign files made with the latest version(s) of said programme. Whereas a new version of Trados should provide users with new features and improvements on the core programme itself, document file support is a whole different issue. Apparently unzipping an InDesign file and changing a version number in an xml file saves us from making an investment of $500 or more to replace an otherwise good working programme, which is just an ordinary slap in the face, especially to those who are not that computer savvy. Either SDL provides us with an affordable upgrade for new document file formats or, if they really want to be customer-friendly, provide it for free for a limited amount of previous versions.Collapse

Martin Rother
Martin Rother  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:20
French to German
+ ...
Re: This whole things doesn't make sense. Jun 21, 2016

Remy van Tol wrote:

...changing a version number in an xml file saves us from making an investment of $500...

Would you mind sharing this workaround with us?

All in all I'd agree with you: I can understand if SDL wants us to pay for new features, but its annoying to have to pay for a whole bunch of fancy new stuff that you won't necessarily make use of just to get the new filter that (seemingly) only needs to handle a new version number.

Jean-Marie Schlömer
Jean-Marie Schlömer  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to German
+ ...
Can't believe this is hidden in a little post here... Jul 27, 2016

Thanks so much for that hint, Rytis, that is exactly what I needed! I can't believe that I had to spend hours looking for this fix - and even worse, that SDL is pretending it's a really big issue that would require huge amounts of programming.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:20
English
Missing the point Jul 27, 2016

Jean-Marie Schlömer wrote:

Thanks so much for that hint, Rytis, that is exactly what I needed! I can't believe that I had to spend hours looking for this fix - and even worse, that SDL is pretending it's a really big issue that would require huge amounts of programming.

Hi,

This is a hack and not a fix. Each new version of Word brings out new features and ways of handling things. Studio releases a new version because it should be able to handle the new Word version without breaking any of the new features if they are used. If you open an Office 2016 file with Word 2007 then some of the features that only Word 2016 understands will be converted to something that 2007 can handle. If you then upsave the file back to 2016 those features probably won't work.

I am sure that for many simple texts this isn't a problem at all, but for others it is. We have many customers who would find a solution like this unacceptable.

So maybe we should make it possible to downsave the file with a checkbox or something, if this is really all that's required, but it would not be full support. It may not corrupt the file either (untested), so I guess the worst that might happen is you don't get everything extracted for translation. Would be interested in how well it works for you when you start to do it.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

[Edited at 2016-07-27 16:25 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2016 and Studio 2015

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »