Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:52
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 30, 2015

I use almost all my Alt+ shortcuts to look up words with IntelliWebSearch. When I translate in Word there is no problem, Word's own Alt combinations kick in after a second or so, but when I translate in SDL Trados Studio 2014 the delay is much shorter.

Is there a way to prioritise my IntelliWebSearch shortcuts over those of SDL Trados Studio 2014?

Cheers,
Gerard

Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell  Identity Verified

Italian to English
Does the keyboard hook help? Oct 2, 2015

Mornin' Gerard,
I can't test this because I don't use Studio, but you might like to try toggling the "keyboard hook" setting in IntelliWebSearch. It changes the way the tool detects hotkeys and it might perform better along with Studio with a different setting.

Regards
Mike

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Is there a way to prioritise my IntelliWebSearch shortcuts over those of SDL Trados Studio 2014?

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keyboard hook Oct 4, 2015

Hi Michael,

I've tried to test your suggestion but after enabling the keyboard hook in IWS 3 I get a message that IWS needs to reload and the option hasn't stuck after relaunching. Is this on purpose or a Windows 10 problem?

Cheers,
Gerard

Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell  Identity Verified

Italian to English
Workaround Oct 5, 2015

Afternoon Gerard,
it seems you have found a never-reported-before bug in IntelliWebSearch 3, probably because very few people ever change the keyboard hook default setting (possibly nobody): the keyboard hook can be disabled if it is enabled, but it cannot be enabled if it is disabled.

Here is a workaround:
1. Exit IntelliWebSearch
2. Launch Regedit
3. Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IntelliWebSearch\KeyBDHook
4. Set it to 1
5. Exit Regedit
... See more
Afternoon Gerard,
it seems you have found a never-reported-before bug in IntelliWebSearch 3, probably because very few people ever change the keyboard hook default setting (possibly nobody): the keyboard hook can be disabled if it is enabled, but it cannot be enabled if it is disabled.

Here is a workaround:
1. Exit IntelliWebSearch
2. Launch Regedit
3. Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IntelliWebSearch\KeyBDHook
4. Set it to 1
5. Exit Regedit
6. Launch IntelliWebSearch

Note that this extremely marginal bug, which no one has ever reported before even though it has been around for years (literally), will never be fixed because version 3 is no longer developed.

Regards
Mike

Gerard de Noord wrote:

I've tried to test your suggestion but after enabling the keyboard hook in IWS 3 I get a message that IWS needs to reload and the option hasn't stuck after relaunching.
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Oct 5, 2015

Thank you, Michael,

Indeed, this solved the problem. And as far as I can see now it didn't introduce a problem in other applications.

Cheers,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shortcut settings in SDL Trados Studio 2014

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »