Thread poster: corinne durand
corinne durand
corinne durand  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:20
English to French
+ ...
Oct 6, 2015

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before or seems like a silly question, but I am in a rush and have no time to research!

I have just received a very urgent (and long!) proofreading job in the form of a Word source file + Word target file and would like to know whether I can use Studio to review it. A lot will need changed, as the translation is poor and I need all the help I can get to do this review quickly and efficiently.

So, should I need to align b
... See more
Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before or seems like a silly question, but I am in a rush and have no time to research!

I have just received a very urgent (and long!) proofreading job in the form of a Word source file + Word target file and would like to know whether I can use Studio to review it. A lot will need changed, as the translation is poor and I need all the help I can get to do this review quickly and efficiently.

So, should I need to align both files to create a new TM, then open the source and use the TM as if I was undertaking a translation of project, and then amend as I go along/review the translation?

Or is there another way?

Many thanks in anticipation for any prompt advice!
Collapse

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 19:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
LF Aligner 4.1 Oct 6, 2015

Hi Corinne,
My advice would be to download LF Aligner 4.1 (freeware) to align both Word files. (The Studio aligner seems not to work too well.)
Get a .tmx from your alignment.
There is a .tmx filetype available for free in the OpenExchange that will enable you to open your alignment file in Studio.
This would be the easiest way to edit the poorly translated Word file, although you wouldn't be able to produce an ammended Word file from the edited .tmx.
Hope it helps!

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 19:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Next step... Oct 6, 2015

I just realized...
You can créate a TM with your edited .tmx will all your corrections, and pretranslate the source Word file. This should render good results.
Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to review Word translations in Studio 2014

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »