Czech Republic
Local time: 15:46
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 8, 2015

Hello,

I have upgraded to SDL Studio 2015, and I have just done a clean install with Windows 10, so I don't have SDL 2014 in my system any more.
Now the client has sent a job that should be done in Passolo 2011, but it seems that Passolo 2011 does not work with SDL Studio 2015 and SDL Multiterm 2015.
There's no MT add-in for 2015, and when I enter the path to 2015 in the SDL Trados Studio add-in settings file, it does not work (no matches retrieved, storing of segments t
... See more
Hello,

I have upgraded to SDL Studio 2015, and I have just done a clean install with Windows 10, so I don't have SDL 2014 in my system any more.
Now the client has sent a job that should be done in Passolo 2011, but it seems that Passolo 2011 does not work with SDL Studio 2015 and SDL Multiterm 2015.
There's no MT add-in for 2015, and when I enter the path to 2015 in the SDL Trados Studio add-in settings file, it does not work (no matches retrieved, storing of segments to the add-in is disabled).
I have a TM and term base I want to use, so I need this function.

Is there a way to work around this?
Are 2015 add-ins for Passolo 2011 available? Or do I have to reinstall 2014 (without activating it)?

Thanks for any advice!

Regards,

Marek
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:46
English to Russian
Partial reply Oct 8, 2015

UPD Misunderstood your question. I thought you cannot install it. Sorry.

[Edited at 2015-10-08 11:12 GMT]

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Passolo Translator 2011 Oct 8, 2015

I forgot to mention that I'm using Passolo Translator 2011 (the free version).

@Stepan: Thanks for your reply. It works for you, because you have SDL 2014 still in your system (although de-activated). I have a clean install and don't have 2014 in my system. I wonder if I have to install it (and not use it for any other purpose), or if there's a workaround.

I don't have a PSMA, so it would probably take some time before I get a response from SDL, and I'm not sure
... See more
I forgot to mention that I'm using Passolo Translator 2011 (the free version).

@Stepan: Thanks for your reply. It works for you, because you have SDL 2014 still in your system (although de-activated). I have a clean install and don't have 2014 in my system. I wonder if I have to install it (and not use it for any other purpose), or if there's a workaround.

I don't have a PSMA, so it would probably take some time before I get a response from SDL, and I'm not sure how to do that anyway. I was hoping someone here may already have faced this issue.

Marek
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Dump the strings and do some CAT hopping Oct 8, 2015

You can filter for untranslated strings, approve them (so that the translation = source), dump the strings in an empty Passolo glossary (it's a tabbed text file). Translate it in your preferred CAT and reuse to retranslate the strings in Passolo. This is a workaround, not a solution, but it should work.

Marek Buchtel
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Nice workaround Oct 12, 2015

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

You can filter for untranslated strings, approve them (so that the translation = source), dump the strings in an empty Passolo glossary (it's a tabbed text file). Translate it in your preferred CAT and reuse to retranslate the strings in Passolo. This is a workaround, not a solution, but it should work.

Thank you, Adam, for this workaround.
However, I wouldn't be able to use the matches from the existing strings in the Passolo project (existing translations), which is important in this case, so I can't use this for this project. But it may be good for other projects.

Marek

Marek Buchtel
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Reinstall did not help Oct 12, 2015

I have reinstalled SDL Trados Studio 2014 and SDL Multiterm 2014, but only with partial success.
Multiterm works, but I still can't use the TMs. I can specify the TMs I want to use, but it does not work - no matches are retrieved and offered.
The 2014 installation is not activated - I can't activate it anymore ("This license is inactive").
Is there anything I can do to make it work?
Any help will be much appreciated!

Regards,

Marek

P
... See more
I have reinstalled SDL Trados Studio 2014 and SDL Multiterm 2014, but only with partial success.
Multiterm works, but I still can't use the TMs. I can specify the TMs I want to use, but it does not work - no matches are retrieved and offered.
The 2014 installation is not activated - I can't activate it anymore ("This license is inactive").
Is there anything I can do to make it work?
Any help will be much appreciated!

Regards,

Marek

P.S. I tried to find a way to submit a support request to SDL, but it seems it is not possible without a PSMA (unless it is a licensing/installation problem). Is that so? Or is there a way to contact SDL regarding this problem?
Collapse

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
English to Arabic
Reinstall did not help. Oct 12, 2015

Hi Marek,

After checking your account I can confirm that you recently upgraded to Studio 2015.
From your comments it appears that you have reinstalled Studio 2014 which is NOW an invalid license due to the 'Upgrade'.

Please ensure that you have both Studio 2015 and MultiTerm 2015 installed on the same machine and you should have no issues with TB etc.

Its worth noting that you cannot mix 2014/2015 versions (for instance (Studio 2015 with MultiTerm 201
... See more
Hi Marek,

After checking your account I can confirm that you recently upgraded to Studio 2015.
From your comments it appears that you have reinstalled Studio 2014 which is NOW an invalid license due to the 'Upgrade'.

Please ensure that you have both Studio 2015 and MultiTerm 2015 installed on the same machine and you should have no issues with TB etc.

Its worth noting that you cannot mix 2014/2015 versions (for instance (Studio 2015 with MultiTerm 2014) as this will result in errors.
Termbase in 2014 can of course be opened and used in 2015.

Kr

Steve
Collapse

Marek Buchtel
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
The problem is with Passolo Translator 2011 Oct 12, 2015

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.
I had (and still have) both Studio 2015 and MultiTerm 2015 installed on my computer, originally without the 2014 versions.
However, SDL Passolo Translator 2011 was not able to use SDL Studio TMs and Multiterm glossaries, because it seems that the add-ins in Passolo Translator 2011 do not work with SDL Studio/Multiterm 2015.

Nobody replied to this topic, so I tried installing the 2014 versions (without activating - not possibl
... See more
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.
I had (and still have) both Studio 2015 and MultiTerm 2015 installed on my computer, originally without the 2014 versions.
However, SDL Passolo Translator 2011 was not able to use SDL Studio TMs and Multiterm glossaries, because it seems that the add-ins in Passolo Translator 2011 do not work with SDL Studio/Multiterm 2015.

Nobody replied to this topic, so I tried installing the 2014 versions (without activating - not possible due to the upgrade). I'm now able to use the Multiterm, but not the TMs, becasue Passolo Translator still does not offer any matches. All the settings (including the path to Studio) are identical with my other computer, where Studio 2014 is still activated, but it does not work

I'll appreciate any advice!

Regards,

Marek

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Marek,

Its worth noting that you cannot mix 2014/2015 versions (for instance (Studio 2015 with MultiTerm 2014) as this will result in errors.
Termbase in 2014 can of course be opened and used in 2015.

Kr

Steve
Collapse

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
English to Arabic
Passolo Translator. Oct 12, 2015

Hi Marek,

This is a simple compatibility issue-
If you have TBULIC 11 files- you need Passolo 2011
If you have TBULIC 15 files you need Passolo 2015

These TBULIC packages contain everything you need for the translation.

So that we can be sure that we are understanding each other correctly a colleague of mine will contact you by phone later to day.
Then we will post the solution on here for others.

Kr
SDL_Steve

Marek Buchtel
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Re: Passolo Translator Oct 12, 2015

Hi Steve,

That's very kind of you, I really appreciate this.
To facilitate the conversation, I'll sum up the main points:

1) I have upgraded to SDL Studio 2015 recently
2) I did a clean install of the operating system (Windows 10) and installed and activated SDL Studio + Multiterm 2015 on that system
3) Client sent tbulic11 that needs to be processed using Passolo Translator 2011.
4) I have installed Passolo Translator 2011, and I want to use my
... See more
Hi Steve,

That's very kind of you, I really appreciate this.
To facilitate the conversation, I'll sum up the main points:

1) I have upgraded to SDL Studio 2015 recently
2) I did a clean install of the operating system (Windows 10) and installed and activated SDL Studio + Multiterm 2015 on that system
3) Client sent tbulic11 that needs to be processed using Passolo Translator 2011.
4) I have installed Passolo Translator 2011, and I want to use my (personal) TMs and Termbases that I have in SDL Studio/Multiterm format.
5) Passolo Translator 2011 does not work with SDL Studio/Multiterm 2015 (corresponding add-ins are not present in the default installation - do they exist at all?)
6) I have installed SDL Studio + Multiterm 2014, but I can't activate it (because I have already ugraded to 2015).
7) Passolo Translator still does not allow using the SDL TMs. I suspect this is due to the fact that the SDL 2014 installation is not activated. Multiterm termbase works OK (SDL Multiterm does not require activation).

We can discuss details over the phone.
Thank you!

Regards,

Marek
Collapse

Marek Buchtel
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
The problem was in the language pair specification Oct 14, 2015

Thanks to very helpful SDL support, the issue has been cleared and solved.

Here's the summary of facts:

1) SDL Passolo Translator 2011 works with SDL Multiterm 2011 and older (up to SP7 or SP8), and also with SDL Multiterm 2014 (from SP8 or SP9). The respective Multiterm application must be installed, but it does not require an activation. SDL Multiterm 2015 can't be used.

2) SDL Passolo Translator 2011 works with SDL Trados Studio 2011, 2014, as well as 20
... See more
Thanks to very helpful SDL support, the issue has been cleared and solved.

Here's the summary of facts:

1) SDL Passolo Translator 2011 works with SDL Multiterm 2011 and older (up to SP7 or SP8), and also with SDL Multiterm 2014 (from SP8 or SP9). The respective Multiterm application must be installed, but it does not require an activation. SDL Multiterm 2015 can't be used.

2) SDL Passolo Translator 2011 works with SDL Trados Studio 2011, 2014, as well as 2015. The path to the respective version must be inserted in the settings.xml file in the Passolo folder (in System\DnTradosStudio\).

3) In Passolo, it is not necessary to specify the country in the language pair – e.g. English (United States) – while in Studio, specifying the country is a must. Up to SDL Passolo Translator SP7, the add-in connection to SDL Studio worked even if the country was not specified in the Passolo project (e.g. only "Czech" instead of "Czech (Czech Republic)"). In SP8 and later, this has been changed, and the connection works only if the language pairs in Passolo and the Studio TM are identical - i.e. including the country.

The last item was my problem – the project manager specified the language pair as "English (US) – Czech", while the language pair of the TM was "English (US) – Czech (Czech Republic)“.
I used SDL Passolo Translator 2011 SP7 on one computer (so the connection worked), and the latest SDL Passolo Translator 2011 SP9 on another computer (so the connection did not work).
The solution is to either install SP7 instead of SP9, or to ask the project manager to modify the Passolo project and specify the language pairs including the countries.
Collapse

Christina Clark
Christina Clark  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Another solution Oct 21, 2015

Hi Marek,
I am currently experiencing the same kind of problem. I updated to Studio 2015 in August, and now, I have received an assignment where I have to use Passolo. But I can't. As you experienced, I am also getting an error message telling me an error occurred while trying to retrieve my license.

You write: "The path to the respective version must be inserted in the settings.xml file in the Passolo folder (in System\DnTradosStudio\)."
But how do I do that? Could you
... See more
Hi Marek,
I am currently experiencing the same kind of problem. I updated to Studio 2015 in August, and now, I have received an assignment where I have to use Passolo. But I can't. As you experienced, I am also getting an error message telling me an error occurred while trying to retrieve my license.

You write: "The path to the respective version must be inserted in the settings.xml file in the Passolo folder (in System\DnTradosStudio\)."
But how do I do that? Could you explain in more detail?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Christina

Actually, I have received a solution from SDL. So no need for lengthy explanations.
The solution is:
Studio 2015 is no longer delivered with Passolo Essentials.
All that is now needed is to know which Passolo Version your client is using- once you know this then you simply download and install the free corresponding Passolo translator edition. You can see from the file ending which version you need to download; either tbulic11 or tbulic15.

http://www.translationzone.com/resources/downloads/sdl-passolo-2011-translator-edition.html
or
http://www.translationzone.com/resources/downloads/sdl-passolo-2015-translator-edition.html

[Edited at 2015-10-21 08:37 GMT]
Collapse

Fabio Scaliti
Fabio Scaliti  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
How to insert the path in the settings.xml file Nov 28, 2016

Christina Clark wrote:

But how do I do that? Could you explain in more detail?

[Edited at 2015-10-21 08:37 GMT]

Go to the SDL Passolo installation folder containing the file settings.xml

In my system, it is "C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Passolo\SDL Passolo Translator 2015\System\DnTradosStudio"; it should be similar in your installation too.

Open the settings.xml file in Notepad and insert the SDL Studio installation path between the "InstallLocation" tags, like this (check your SDL Studio installation path):

"InstallLocation"C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4"/InstallLocation"

I had to change the tag brackets with "" in this line or it wouldn't show in the post.

Hope this can help some colleagues.

Fabio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Support of SDL 2015 add-ins in Passolo 2011

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »