Zhen Guan  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:44
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2015

Hi guys

I have been using Google translation on Trados 2014 and it was good til just now after I updated my trados.

When I tried to translate any segment, it said 'an error occurred while using the translation provider Google translation: the remote server returned an error 403 forbidden'.

My google translation account has been active, and API key was inserted correctly.

It is much appreciated if anyone could shed some light on this? Does it
... See more
Hi guys

I have been using Google translation on Trados 2014 and it was good til just now after I updated my trados.

When I tried to translate any segment, it said 'an error occurred while using the translation provider Google translation: the remote server returned an error 403 forbidden'.

My google translation account has been active, and API key was inserted correctly.

It is much appreciated if anyone could shed some light on this? Does it mean if we upgrade trados, we have to reset google translation? This seems very odd.

Regards

Guan
Collapse

Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:44
Member (2016)
English to Russian
Google Translate and WFA Oct 13, 2015

I also have similar problem with WordFast Anywhere after they updated web-site.
Other free MT services are working normally.
Yakov

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:44
English to Arabic
Updated trados 2014 just now and Google translation disconnected Oct 14, 2015

Hiya,

Could you explain please what you mean by-

"Does it mean if we upgrade trados, we have to reset Google translation? "

Your account shows Studio 2014 was activated back in March so no updates have been made or would have been necessary.

Google do run regular checks on the API and the error message does appear to be server related.
I would attempt to reset the Google API to see if this resolves the issue- If NOT please contact Google.
... See more
Hiya,

Your account shows Studio 2014 was activated back in March so no updates have been made or would have been necessary.

Google do run regular checks on the API and the error message does appear to be server related.
I would attempt to reset the Google API to see if this resolves the issue- If NOT please contact Google.

Are you aware of the SDL Language Cloud (Machine Translation)?
http://www.sdl.com/ilp/language/intro-language-cloud.html

This is a much more secure environment- Why not run a free trial?

Kr

SDL_Steve
Collapse

Zhen Guan
Australia
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hiya,

Kr

SDL_Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply.

"Does it mean if we upgrade trados, we have to reset Google translation? " This means right after I updated trados 2014, google translation stopped working.

Yes I did start to use Trados from March. If updates have not been made, then why would the window pop out and ask me to download and update? The current version I am using now is Trados 2014 SP2. My control panel says it was installed yesterday 13 October 2015, and there is no point for me to make this up.

When I ran the update, Trados was shut down and restarted, and that I had to reset the languages, the five languages I have to setup at the very beginning and cannot change later on unless trados is reinstalled, which I thought was a bit full on.

I did check my google API. It is still active. In this particular case, I think the likelihood of someone pretending to be SLD Trados, and sending me an update to install is quite low.

Can I ask what is the best way to reset Google translation on Trados? Much appreciated.

Regards

Guan

Zhen Guan
Australia
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Yakov Katsman wrote:

I also have similar problem with WordFast Anywhere after they updated web-site.
Other free MT services are working normally.
Yakov

Hi Yakov

Thank you for your reply.

Do you still remember how did you fix this issue with WordFast? Did you reset google translation in Wordfast? If you remember anything, please let me know. I think it may apply to this case as well. Thanks

regards

Guan

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Update Studio 2014 Oct 14, 2015

Hi Zhen,

Thanks for the clarification- As you installed only back in March this year the install will have been SP2 anyway (SP2 was released in November last year- meaning any 2014 Purchases/installs after this date are automatically installed as 2014 SP2

The last cumulative update for 2014 versions was back in September-<
... See more
Hi Zhen,

Thanks for the clarification- As you installed only back in March this year the install will have been SP2 anyway (SP2 was released in November last year- meaning any 2014 Purchases/installs after this date are automatically installed as 2014 SP2

The last cumulative update for 2014 versions was back in September-
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5375

I have been unable to find any other similar cases logged with out IT

Please go to our SDL community forum-
http://xl8.one

If anything is known about any changes- you are going to find answers here.

Kind regards

SDL_Steve
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
Finnish to French
Why "much more secure"? Oct 14, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

Just curious: why would the SDL Language Cloud be a "much more secure" environment? Do you imply that Google’s resources and knowhow in internet security are no match for SDL’s?

[Edited at 2015-10-14 19:29 GMT]

Zhen Guan
Australia
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmation of Submission - Queensland Tourism Infrastructure Fund 2016/2017 Oct 15, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Zhen,

The last cumulative update for 2014 versions was back in September-
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:5375

I have been unable to find any other similar cases logged with out IT

Please go to our SDL community forum-
http://xl8.one

If anything is known about any changes- you are going to find answers here.

Kind regards

SDL_Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks. I think it was the one from September as I didn't use Trados in September from memory.

I will have a look at the forum. Hopefully I can find the answer for this soon.

Cheers

Guan

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Why "much more secure"? Oct 15, 2015

Hi Dominique,

No one knows for sure what exactly happens to translations in Google- we do know however that all the data is mined to update their engines of which Google is quite open and clear about-
As Google use's OPEN MT engines this data is publicly available for ANYONE to use- no one needs an account or password to access Google translate data!!!

The Google API still pulls on the same resources as if you were to use Google translate outside of Studio.
... See more
Hi Dominique,

No one knows for sure what exactly happens to translations in Google- we do know however that all the data is mined to update their engines of which Google is quite open and clear about-
As Google use's OPEN MT engines this data is publicly available for ANYONE to use- no one needs an account or password to access Google translate data!!!

The Google API still pulls on the same resources as if you were to use Google translate outside of Studio.

SDL Language Cloud however is NOT publicly available-and all users need an account and password.

We clearly and specifically state that your source translation is immediately discarded once the target has been provided.
Unlike many other MT engines your source translations are NOT used to update our MT engines in any way.

Surely knowing your (clients) material is not stored and reused makes this most certainly a much more secure environment from the outset.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updated trados 2014 just now and Google translation disconnected

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »