Germany
Local time: 14:33
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 23, 2015

Hello,
from the website
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=3261#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3261
it looks like Studio 2011 doesn't work under Win 10, which is a bad news for me (I'm having problems with my current Win 7 and thought about upgrading as a solution).
Before I start lamenting and cursing the both companies involved, I wanted to hear whethe
... See more
Hello,
from the website
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=3261#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3261
it looks like Studio 2011 doesn't work under Win 10, which is a bad news for me (I'm having problems with my current Win 7 and thought about upgrading as a solution).
Before I start lamenting and cursing the both companies involved, I wanted to hear whether this is indeed the case in practice. Has anybody tried it? No chance it will work...?
Thanks in advance for any experiences.
Kat
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
It works Nov 23, 2015

I had no problem since upgrading to Win 10. It is strange to consider that it could be a problem when it woks under Win 8... and that Studio 2011 runs under Java, so Win has a little to do with.

Good upgrading!

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the good news, Adrien! Nov 23, 2015

I haven't decided yet, whether to upgrade, but good to know it's one of possible solutions.

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:33
English to Arabic
Trados Studio 2011 under Widows 10 Nov 23, 2015

Hi Katarzyna,

Could you let me know please what issues you have had between W7/W10 and Studio 2011-
once we have more knowledge of the problems we can look for solutions.

I'm not at all sure where JAVA would fit in to the equation- except that we have removed this now entirely to provide a much smoother platform

It is worth noting that support for 2011 versions will no longer be supported at the end of this year- so if you are looking to upgrade- now
... See more
Hi Katarzyna,

Could you let me know please what issues you have had between W7/W10 and Studio 2011-

I'm not at all sure where JAVA would fit in to the equation- except that we have removed this now entirely to provide a much smoother platform

It is worth noting that support for 2011 versions will no longer be supported at the end of this year- so if you are looking to upgrade- now is the time to do it.

Kind regards

Steve
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This field is totally useless Nov 23, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Katarzyna,

Those problems have nothing to do with the Studio. I have no problems with Studio whatsoever.

What does "now" mean? In the 2015 version? I don't want to upgrade.

It is worth noting that support for 2011 versions will no longer be supported at the end of this year- so if you are looking to upgrade- now is the time to do it.

So what are you saying, Steve, does the Studio 2011 work under Win 10 or not? Since that's the only thing I need to know. I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of Adrien's answer, though it's a bit weird... I mean, why would the website say it doesn't work when in fact it does? But unless somebody comes and says, I've tried it and it didn't work, I'm gonna believe Adrien (and quite likely try it).
Kat

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
This field is totally useless Nov 23, 2015

Sorry if I was not clear previously.
I was trying to find why you had issues with Windows 7 and if this was in anyway Studio 2011 related.

SDL Studio 2011 and Windows 10 are NOT compatible.

Kr

Steve

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Not compatible or not supported? Nov 23, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

SDL Studio 2011 and Windows 10 are NOT compatible.

Hi Steve,

As far as I know, Studio 2011 runs fine on Windows 10.
Are there specific conflicts between Studio 2011 and Win 10? If so, what are they?

Or do you mean that SDL doesn't offer support for Studio 2011 any more?

Thanks,
Emma

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Studio 2011/Windows10 Nov 23, 2015

Hi Emma,

Rather not supported than not necessarily compatible.

We are aware of some that have successfully installed Studio 2011 on Windows 10 machines and equally as many that have found this to be an issue.
It does therefore appear it can be hit and miss and knowing SDL cannot offer technical support- therefore the effort to 'try and make it work' quite questionable.

Kr

Steve

Katarzyna Slowikova
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answers Nov 23, 2015

Thanks to both of you, Emma and Steve, now it got much clearer.
I think, I'll give it a try, I've read there's 30 days period to downgrade from Win 10, if there's something you don't like, and if that's correct (have to check it for sure yet), than there's nothing to lose.
Thanks again for this info, maybe others will find this thread useful as well.
Kat

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Weird answer Nov 23, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Emma,

Rather not supported than not necessarily compatible.

We are aware of some that have successfully installed Studio 2011 on Windows 10 machines and equally as many that have found this to be an issue.
It does therefore appear it can be hit and miss and knowing SDL cannot offer technical support- therefore the effort to 'try and make it work' quite questionable.

Kr

Steve

Especially "Rather not supported than not necessarily compatible." Could you please translate this sentence for me?

Although I am working with 2014/2015, I find this answer really strange, as if you don't want to give an anwer or you really don't know, especially after reading the rest of your text.

Isn't SDL fully aware about how their products are working (or not) on the different OS available?

[Edited at 2015-11-23 21:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-23 21:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-23 21:48 GMT]

SDL_Steve
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
translation. Nov 24, 2015

Hi Robert,

As a professional translator with lots of (IT/translation) experience-
you will be aware translators possess varying levels of IT knowledge-(from very basic to those that have had previous careers in IT programming).

In the past we have posted that 'XYZ' is not possible - then just for someone to come and post a workaround

My post of course was simply meant to highlight the
... See more
Hi Robert,

you will be aware translators possess varying levels of IT knowledge-(from very basic to those that have had previous careers in IT programming).

In the past we have posted that 'XYZ' is not possible - then just for someone to come and post a workaround

My post of course was simply meant to highlight the fact that we cannot support Studio 2011 on Windows 10 machines (even if a workaround has somehow been found).
Although the KB article explains clearly that we do NOT support this installation-
it does not mean or imply that it is impossible!(hence-installation compatibility/support).

I'm sure you will agree- 99.99% of professional translators are grateful for anything and everything that can/will reduce the amount of time 'wasted' trying to resolve computer issues.

Therefore I think explaining the situation (REAL LIFE scenario's) in more detail-
rather than just referring to a 'dry' technical KB article- can ONLY be regarded as highly beneficial and provides a far superior experience for all involved.

Kind regards

Steve
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a remark Nov 24, 2015

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Robert,

Let me just point out none of those 2 people said they used some "workarounds". They said it "runs fine" and they "had no problems". So it looks like just a matter of trying. Also note nobody so far said they tried and it didn't work for them.

And one more thing - translators appreciate not only "anything and everything that can/will
reduce the amount of time 'wasted' trying to resolve computer issues" but also anything and everything that can/will reduce their costs. Which seems to run counter to your interests, Steve.
Anyway, thanks for your explanation,
Kat

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:33
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Runs fine Nov 24, 2015

I have been running Studio 2011 since I upgraded to Windows 10 in August, and haven't encountered any problems related to incompatibility.

The only problem I have encountered is that Windows 10 seems to be a memory hog and requires more than 4gb of RAM which my computer came with. I upgraded my computer to 16gb of RAM (cost about $150 for Axiom memory cards on Amazon) and everything has run smoothly since.

Of course, the Windows 10 memory problem had nothing to do with
... See more
I have been running Studio 2011 since I upgraded to Windows 10 in August, and haven't encountered any problems related to incompatibility.

The only problem I have encountered is that Windows 10 seems to be a memory hog and requires more than 4gb of RAM which my computer came with. I upgraded my computer to 16gb of RAM (cost about $150 for Axiom memory cards on Amazon) and everything has run smoothly since.

Of course, the Windows 10 memory problem had nothing to do with Studio, but it made Studio run slowly or freeze, but this was not Studio's fault, neither was it solved by a "workaround". The slow running affected all programs, not just Studio, so upgrading Studio would not have solved the problem.

[Edited at 2015-11-24 15:28 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 under Widows 10

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »