Thread poster: ChielV
ChielV
ChielV  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 08:01
English to Dutch
Nov 28, 2015

Dear all,

Currently I'm trying to translate an XML file. Unfortunately I'm having an issue with Trados Studio 2014's segmentation rules. The file has a lot of single words to be translated, demarcated by and , each of which I'd like to appear in its own segment. Instead all of these are together in one segment, with and represented by tags, until a punctuation mark occurs.

I've tried to adjust the segmentation rules of the Translation Memory I use for this project, b
... See more
Dear all,

Currently I'm trying to translate an XML file. Unfortunately I'm having an issue with Trados Studio 2014's segmentation rules. The file has a lot of single words to be translated, demarcated by and , each of which I'd like to appear in its own segment. Instead all of these are together in one segment, with and represented by tags, until a punctuation mark occurs.

I've tried to adjust the segmentation rules of the Translation Memory I use for this project, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, even though after each segmentation rule change I open the file once more as a new project.

Has anyone run into a similar issue and found a solution?

Thank you in advance,
Chiel van der Voort
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Three things to check Nov 28, 2015

When it comes to applying newly created segmentation rules, one of these three things could be the problem:

1. The segmentation rules themselves. Something may be wrong with them and therefore they may not have the desired effect.
2. The TM that the segmentation rules were added to must be active and at the top of the list either in Project Settings if working with a project or in Options if using a single document workflow.
3. The file must be removed completely before
... See more
When it comes to applying newly created segmentation rules, one of these three things could be the problem:

1. The segmentation rules themselves. Something may be wrong with them and therefore they may not have the desired effect.
2. The TM that the segmentation rules were added to must be active and at the top of the list either in Project Settings if working with a project or in Options if using a single document workflow.
3. The file must be removed completely before being opened again for the new segmentation rules to be applied.

[Edited at 2015-11-28 17:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-28 17:01 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Misleading post... Nov 28, 2015

... because the OP didn't use entities for the reserved characters. I redid the appropriate part here:

ChielV wrote:

The file has a lot of single words to be translated, demarcated by <item> and </item>, each of which I'd like to appear in its own segment. Instead all of these are together in one segment, with <item> and </item> represented by tags, until a punctuation mark occurs.

This problem is not controlled by segmentation rules. These are separate elements and they have been handled as inline tags. If you want them on separate lines you simply need to make sure your parser rules are set up that way. Maybe this article will help you as it makes sense to always create custom XML filetypes and don't rely on the default catchall rules:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/06/01/custom-xml/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

ChielV
ChielV  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Parser rules did the trick. Nov 29, 2015

Thank you Nora and Paul for your help!

Indeed the problem was not within the segmentation rules, but in the parser rules. Thank you, Paul, for the link to your elaborate blog post, which helped me through the process of adjusting the parser rules for this file.

Kind regards,
Chiel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags instead of segmentation in XML file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »