Studio 2014 SP1 can't recognise XLS files after update to Office 2016
Thread poster: Reindel
Reindel
Reindel  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:35
English to Danish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2016

I just updated to Microsoft Office 2016, but after this update I have not been able to process Excel files in Studio 2014, even if I choose to save it first as a Excel 2007 file.

My temporary solution is to save as an Excel 2007 file on another computer (running Office 2007). Then I can open it in Trados Studio 2014.

I also searched the SDL knowledgebase, but haven't been able to find any viable solution here.

It seems to be a replicate of previous errors
... See more
I just updated to Microsoft Office 2016, but after this update I have not been able to process Excel files in Studio 2014, even if I choose to save it first as a Excel 2007 file.

My temporary solution is to save as an Excel 2007 file on another computer (running Office 2007). Then I can open it in Trados Studio 2014.

I also searched the SDL knowledgebase, but haven't been able to find any viable solution here.

It seems to be a replicate of previous errors described in this forum for incompatibility issues with previous combinations of Trados Studio / Microsoft Office, however there ought to be a solution out soon, since the Office 2016 is official.
Collapse

Gisele Latour
Gisele Latour  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:35
Member (2010)
English to French
Same issue here Jan 27, 2016

with Word docs as well.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:35
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Roll back Office or upgrade Studio Jan 27, 2016

Reindel wrote:
however there ought to be a solution out soon, since the Office 2016 is official.

The official SDL solution seems to be to upgrade to Studio 2015. If you don't plan to do that, I would roll back the upgrade to Office 2016 and return to Office 2013. That is what I did and it appears to have worked.

There may be other workarounds, but I just went for the solution that looked easiest. There's nothing for me in Office 2016 that makes it a must-have upgrade.

Regards
Dan

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
Studio 2014 SP1 can't recognise XLS files after update to Office 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Hi Reindel,

Further more to Dan's reply- we are unable to support Office 2016 in conjunction with Studio 2011 versions as we released Studio 2015 at the time office 2016 was released.

Our development are aware of a small number of requests regarding the compatibility but as yet there is no definitive timeline as to when this may be possible.
If you prefer to work with Office 2016 I would suggest first downloading the Studio 2015 trial. This way you can test all th
... See more
Hi Reindel,

Further more to Dan's reply- we are unable to support Office 2016 in conjunction with Studio 2011 versions as we released Studio 2015 at the time office 2016 was released.

Our development are aware of a small number of requests regarding the compatibility but as yet there is no definitive timeline as to when this may be possible.
If you prefer to work with Office 2016 I would suggest first downloading the Studio 2015 trial. This way you can test all the new features and then decide either to upgrade or roll back the Office version.
To view what's new in 2015 -
http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/features.html

Kr
SDL_Steve
Collapse

Reindel
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replies Jan 27, 2016

Thanks for the replies. This is what I feared. I think I'll wait to see if there will be another technical solution in the near future.

I understand also that the software developers need to constantly update and (sometimes) improve their products!
However most of my clients are not even working with Studio 2014 as of yet, so the relatively pricey upgrade is not an option for now.

Jana Uhlik
Jana Uhlik  Identity Verified
Belize
Local time: 07:35
English to German
Does Studio 2015 work with Office 2016? Apr 19, 2016

From the comments above I understand I have to download Studio 2015 to test if Office 2016 is working with it? Will SDL please provide this information? That is the LEAST we should be able to expect! I want to make sure it works before I upgrade to 2015! The link posted doesn't tell me anything about that.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Studio 2015 works fine with Office 2016 (Office 365) with me Apr 19, 2016

The heading says it all. I have not experienced any problems since I upgraded Office to 2016.

mikethetexan
mikethetexan
United States
Local time: 08:35
Must be fixed in Trados 2014 SP2 because SDL support says it works May 5, 2016

Hi,

It's possible this was fixed in Trados Studio 2014 SP2 because the support person I talked to says that we will have no problem opening Office 2016 files in Trados 2014 SP2. He just mentioned that the realtime preview will not work as mentioned in other forums.

Here's his replies:

Normally, Studio 2014 should work fine even if Office (including Word, obviously) is upgraded to the 2016 version. The only
... See more
Hi,

It's possible this was fixed in Trados Studio 2014 SP2 because the support person I talked to says that we will have no problem opening Office 2016 files in Trados 2014 SP2. He just mentioned that the realtime preview will not work as mentioned in other forums.

Here's his replies:

Normally, Studio 2014 should work fine even if Office (including Word, obviously) is upgraded to the 2016 version. The only limitation I am aware of is described in the following KB article.

I will do some more checking about this topic tomorrow. I will also discuss with some senior engineers to find out if they are aware of any other limitations.

I double checked. Other than the preview issue I mentioned to you earlier (which is actually related to the click to run web based installer for Office 365) there shouldn't be any other problem with running Studio 2014 even if you installed Office 2016.
Collapse

Reindel
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The error still remains! Jun 2, 2016

This is the error message I get:

The file was not created by supported version of Microsoft Excel application and will not be processed.

It has nothing to do with the preview, but prevents you from creating and opening 2016 version Excel files and working with them in Trados 2014. In my case I have to ask somebody else to create the Excel in an earlier Office version in order to work with Excel (it doesn't help to save to an earlier Excel version, as Office 2016
... See more

The file was not created by supported version of Microsoft Excel application and will not be processed.

It has nothing to do with the preview, but prevents you from creating and opening 2016 version Excel files and working with them in Trados 2014. In my case I have to ask somebody else to create the Excel in an earlier Office version in order to work with Excel (it doesn't help to save to an earlier Excel version, as Office 2016 somehow stores/changes something with the saved file).

I should add that an alternative is also to just open the Excel file in Trados Tag Editor, which has no problems with opening Office 2016 files. I still don't accept the solution "just upgrade to Trados 2015"!

http://imgur.com/OZWpouh

[Edited at 2016-06-02 17:13 GMT]
Collapse

SDL_Guillaume
SDL_Guillaume
Office 2016 Jun 3, 2016

Reindel wrote:

It has nothing to do with the preview, but prevents you from creating and opening 2016 version Excel files and working with them in Trados 2014. In my case I have to ask somebody else to create the Excel in an earlier Office version in order to work with Excel (it doesn't help to save to an earlier Excel version, as Office 2016 somehow stores/changes something with the saved file).

I should add that an alternative is also to just open the Excel file in Trados Tag Editor, which has no problems with opening Office 2016 files. I still don't accept the solution "just upgrade to Trados 2015"!

http://imgur.com/OZWpouh

[Edited at 2016-06-02 17:13 GMT]

Dear Reindel,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

SDL Trados Studio 2014 does not support Office 2016.

SDL Trados Studio 2015 SR2 however supports it.

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Please try out our SDL Community portal http://xl8.one
Professionals helping Professionals with all your SDL Studio questions.

Have a question about licensing and installation?
Use our LIVE CHAT facility bit.lySDLChat

[Edited at 2016-06-03 09:54 GMT]

Stefan Boxhorn
Stefan Boxhorn  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Cheaper solution that upgrading your version of Trados Studio every year Sep 15, 2016

Save the source files down in Open Office format for translation in Trados Studio and then save the target files in the original MS Office format.

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
Trados 2014 cannot process Office 2016 files Dec 30, 2016

Yet another example of SDL choosing to not upgrade a previous version to support newer file formats in order to push more users to upgrade to a newer version. A workaround is to save the files to the newest version (of Word, Excel, etc.) your Trados supports. Time-consuming and perhaps not acceptable to your clients but less expensive than upgrading Trados.

[Edited at 2016-12-30 12:51 GMT]

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Support for Trados 2014 will end soon anyway Dec 30, 2016

Gfarley wrote:

Yet another example of SDL choosing to not upgrade a previous version to support newer file formats in order to push more users to upgrade to a newer version. A workaround is to save the files to the newest version (of Word, Excel, etc.) your Trados supports. Time-consuming and perhaps not acceptable to your clients but less expensive than upgrading Trados.

[Edited at 2016-12-30 12:51 GMT]

We could debate eternally on how long a software should be supported, if a 3-year support for Trados is enough or not. The software price is also a factor for it, and I think SDL comes too short for the support, 5 years would be fine.
Other than support, the current fair practice is that new software versions should be backward-compatible at least. But forward-compatibility is neither fair nor common, it means the developers must invest time and money in an old version when a new one is already out. While this is a necessity for operating systems (e.g. for plugging security leaks), such a practise for applications would rather be presented as advertisement or - not at all.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-30 14:01 GMT]

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
Length of support vs. cost of replacement Dec 30, 2016

MikeTrans wrote:

We could debate eternally on how long a software should be supported, if a 3-year support for Trados is enough or not. The software price is also a factor for it, and I think SDL comes too short for the support, 5 years would be fine.

I agree. I have had to lay out several hundred (thousand?) pounds over time upgrading Trados in 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014 almost exclusively because SDL did not upgrade older versions to keep pace with MS Office versions or chose not to correct bugs or performance issues until later versions. On the other side I am still using MS Office 2010 with absolutely no problems and at a fraction of the cost. It is safe to say that adding file support for MS Word 2016 alone and maybe one or two more formats would save the vast majority of users time-wasting workarounds.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 SP1 can't recognise XLS files after update to Office 2016

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »