Jacqueline Ball  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
Member (2012)
German to English
Jan 28, 2016

Hi all,

File formats involved: Bilingual Word document
Software package plus full version number SDL Trados Studio 2015, 12.0.4996.3

I have recently upgraded to 2015 and a workflow that functioned fine for one of my major clients no longer appears to work. The workflow is a follows:

1) Client creates a bilingual (German/German) Word document in Trados 2007.
2) I import said bilingual document into Studio.
3) I translate the file in Studio.
... See more
Hi all,

File formats involved: Bilingual Word document
Software package plus full version number SDL Trados Studio 2015, 12.0.4996.3

I have recently upgraded to 2015 and a workflow that functioned fine for one of my major clients no longer appears to work. The workflow is a follows:

1) Client creates a bilingual (German/German) Word document in Trados 2007.
2) I import said bilingual document into Studio.
3) I translate the file in Studio. (I get the German source text in both the source and target columns and simply overwrite the German in the target column).
4) I export the file via "Save as Target Document" and I have a bilingual Word document to deliver to the client.

With SDL Trados Studio 2015 this does not work! I get the following error message:

"The file contains "tw4winMark" style used to mark up bilingual document."

Please note, I made sure this is not just a problem with the most recent document the client has sent me by trying to open old bilingual Word files that I know opened fine in Studio 2011.

Any help would be very gratefully received! If this cannot be resolved I'll need to "de-upgrade", I think. Hopefully that's possible.

Kind regards,
Jacqueline
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:18
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Perhaps you need to use a different import filter? Jan 28, 2016

I could imagine that Studio imports it as a regular Word document, in which case all text in the document should be imported as source. It may be you have to activate the correct file type in the settings of Studio.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:18
English to Russian
Save as doc Jan 28, 2016

I have no idea how this stuff works, but it works...

Save your docx as doc. Then import it to Studio 2015.

I tried to reproduce your problem and I did not have any problem to reproduce the problem. Exactly the same message.
Then I re-saved docx as doc, and it worked for me... Try this.

Jacqueline Ball
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Roy and Stepan Jan 28, 2016

Perhaps you need to use a different import filter?

Hi Roy, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Where would I need to change the import filter, do you happen to know? I have looked and cannot find anywhere where I can do that... Possibly being a bit dim...

Save as doc

Hi Stepan, thanks too for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately I have already tried that. Even with Studio 2014 I always had to save as a plain Microsoft Word document (.doc) befo
... See more
Perhaps you need to use a different import filter?

Hi Roy, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Where would I need to change the import filter, do you happen to know? I have looked and cannot find anywhere where I can do that... Possibly being a bit dim...

Save as doc

Hi Stepan, thanks too for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately I have already tried that. Even with Studio 2014 I always had to save as a plain Microsoft Word document (.doc) before I could import it (and if I forgot, I got that error message, but with 2015, after changing to .doc I still can't import. Are you actually able to import a bilingual Word document? I wonder what else I could be doing wrong...?
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Check this thread Jan 28, 2016

Please check this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/297226-fail_to_open_a_word_document_in_trados_studio_2014.html

It was discussed quite recently.

Jacqueline Ball
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Ekaterina Jan 28, 2016

Check this thread

Hi Ekaterina, thanks very much for your reply, but my issue is not with trying to open a straightforward Word document, but a bilingual Word document as created in Trados 2007, so sadly that thread wasn't of any use. The very tw4Winmark style the document contains and which the error message flags (i.e. the code used to mark-up a bilingual file) is what I need it to retain in order to be able to export a bilingual Word document). Thanks anyway. I appreciate you mak
... See more
Check this thread

Hi Ekaterina, thanks very much for your reply, but my issue is not with trying to open a straightforward Word document, but a bilingual Word document as created in Trados 2007, so sadly that thread wasn't of any use. The very tw4Winmark style the document contains and which the error message flags (i.e. the code used to mark-up a bilingual file) is what I need it to retain in order to be able to export a bilingual Word document). Thanks anyway. I appreciate you making the effort to respond.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Workbench file? Jan 29, 2016

Just to check, I understand you're talking about a Workbench file, not a normal Word file with bilingual content (in a table).

If so, make sure that the Studio file type you're using is the Workbench one.
How can you tell? Open your file and see what the orange file type identifier at the top of the Editor window says. (It's the orange line immediately above segment 1).
Does it say "Bilingual Workbench 1.0.0.0"?

If it doesn't, then start a new project, and s
... See more
Just to check, I understand you're talking about a Workbench file, not a normal Word file with bilingual content (in a table).

If so, make sure that the Studio file type you're using is the Workbench one.
How can you tell? Open your file and see what the orange file type identifier at the top of the Editor window says. (It's the orange line immediately above segment 1).
Does it say "Bilingual Workbench 1.0.0.0"?

If it doesn't, then start a new project, and select this file type before you open the file in the Editor. Do this by enabling the "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench" file type in the list on the right-hand side of the window when you click on File Type. You could even move it up the list, to make sure Studio catches it before the normal .doc file type.

Hope this helps,
Emma

[Edited at 2016-01-29 07:05 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Go to Options > File Types Jan 29, 2016

Jacqueline Ball wrote:

Go to Options > File Types and check what file types are ticked. It could for instance be that "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench" is not ticked, i.e. deactivated for some reason. You may also check that "Microsoft Word 2007-2016" is ticked, as it apparently is not activated as standard somehow.

Jacqueline Ball
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Roy and Emma Jan 29, 2016

Go to Options > File Types / Workbench file?

Hi Roy, Hi Emma,

Thank you both so much. A combination of both your responses resolved my issue.

I went to Options / File types and when the file types popped up on the right-hand side of the dialogue box I simply moved SDL Trados Translator's Workbench up the list so it came before any other Word files. I can now import bilingual Word document (Workbench documents) into Studio once again. What a relief that's
... See more
Go to Options > File Types / Workbench file?

Hi Roy, Hi Emma,

Thank you both so much. A combination of both your responses resolved my issue.

I went to Options / File types and when the file types popped up on the right-hand side of the dialogue box I simply moved SDL Trados Translator's Workbench up the list so it came before any other Word files. I can now import bilingual Word document (Workbench documents) into Studio once again. What a relief that's resolved. Many, many thanks once again!

Best wishes,
Jacqueline
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Interesting Jan 29, 2016

Thanks for the tip. I will try to remember it if I get the same problem as you did.

Roy

silvia72
silvia72  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
SDL trados studio 2015 + bilingual documents Jan 30, 2016

Hallo Everybody!
My name is Silvia and it's the first time I post a question..
I am working with trados studio 2015, my source document is a bilingual pdf file. First, I used the trados converter but when editor displayed the text treating both languages as source.
So I downloaded ABBYY, which converted it to a word document, but nothing changed when dislaying the new .doc bilingual document! (I also followed the procedure described above by putting SdL Trados Translator Workbe
... See more
Hallo Everybody!
I am working with trados studio 2015, my source document is a bilingual pdf file. First, I used the trados converter but when editor displayed the text treating both languages as source.
So I downloaded ABBYY, which converted it to a word document, but nothing changed when dislaying the new .doc bilingual document! (I also followed the procedure described above by putting SdL Trados Translator Workbench to the top of the file type list)
How can I fix the problem?
Thank you in advance,
Silvia
Collapse

Jacqueline Ball
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Silvia Jan 30, 2016

Hi Silvia,

I would like to be able to help but I am a little unclear what your problem is (and it may be beyond my limited experience anyway - but I will help if I can.

Was the bilingual PDF file created using Trados and is it therefore a Workbench file?

What exactly happens when you import it (after converting it to a Word document) into Studio? If I understand correctly Studio does open the
... See more
Hi Silvia,

I would like to be able to help but I am a little unclear what your problem is (and it may be beyond my limited experience anyway - but I will help if I can.

Was the bilingual PDF file created using Trados and is it therefore a Workbench file?

What exactly happens when you import it (after converting it to a Word document) into Studio? If I understand correctly Studio does open the file, right? But in some way doesn't handle the text correctly. Could you provide more in information, please?

Best wishes,
Jacqueline

[Edited at 2016-01-30 21:45 GMT]
Collapse

Albert G
Albert G
Local time: 10:18
German to Russian
There seems to be a misunderstanding Feb 8, 2016

silvia72 wrote:

Hallo Everybody!
So I downloaded ABBYY, which converted it to a word document, but nothing changed when dislaying the new .doc bilingual document! (I also followed the procedure described above by putting SdL Trados Translator Workbench to the top of the file type list)
How can I fix the problem?
Thank you in advance,
Silvia

Hi, Silvia!

There seems to be a misunderstanding.
"Bilingual documents are created in SDL Trados Translator's Workbench using Microsoft Word as a translation editor."
Trados Translator's Workbench is an old version of Trados and is now not supported.

The Studio doesn't know, that your pdf file, recognized witn ABBYY FineReader, is written in two languages.
The solution for your case is to mark the text, that you don't need to translate, as hidden text in Word ( http://www.extendoffice.com/documents/word/906-word-show-hide-hidden-text.html ). After this preparation you can import the file and the Studio will display only segments with the visible text.
After translation you should save the target, open it in Word, select the whole text (Ctrl+A) and make it visible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015 + bilingual Word document import

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »