Asset Orymbayev
Asset Orymbayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 03:35
English to Kazakh
+ ...
Apr 28, 2016

Hi,

I want to make some parts of Word file untranslatable, because they contain translations.
I'm going to translate using Trados Workbench. I know that there is some style that I should
use, but I forgot what style it was.
Can someone help me?

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 01:35
English to Russian
Untranslatable styles Apr 28, 2016

Hello Asset,

For Trados Workbench, the style name is tw4winExternal (sentences to be excluded). There is also tw4winInternal designed to turn something into tags, e.g. placeholders. The best way is to make this a character style. To speed things up, you can use special commands designed to apply this style to selected text available as
... See more
Hello Asset,

For Trados Workbench, the style name is tw4winExternal (sentences to be excluded). There is also tw4winInternal designed to turn something into tags, e.g. placeholders. The best way is to make this a character style. To speed things up, you can use special commands designed to apply this style to selected text available as part of TransTools add-in for Word: http://www.translatortools.net/word-applytradosstyles.html.

However, unless you deal with a Word document that contains HTML, XML or similar code which will then be pasted into a regular text file, I would not recommend to use styles because they are difficult to get rid of once you finish translation (you basically need to reapply original formatting using Format Painter in Word). If I were you, I would instead highlight these excerpts using some highlight color and when you get to that segment, use the Restore segment command, skip the highlighted part, and resume from a further point in the document.

In SDL Trados Studio and most other grid-based CAT tools it is much easier because you can use hidden font attribute to hide text that you don't want to translate.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I would also like to know Apr 28, 2016

Asset Orymbayev wrote:
I want to make some parts of Word file untranslatable, because they contain translations.
I'm going to translate using Trados Workbench. I know that there is some style that I should
use, but I forgot what style it was.

Hmm, I just tried DO_NOT_TRANSLATE, tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal, as well as hiding the text. None of these had any effect in TagEditor. Do they work with the Word plugin, though?

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Make it "Hidden" Apr 28, 2016

The simplest method is to make all of the non-translatable text "hidden". You can do this either by applying the hidden font attribute directly, or making the non-translatable text in other ways (most commonly by highlighting - though it may be easier to mark the translatable text instead, if there is less of it) and then making whatever you do not wish to translate "hidden" using search/replace (just search for attributes and don't specify any strings). Trados will ignore the hidden text. After... See more
The simplest method is to make all of the non-translatable text "hidden". You can do this either by applying the hidden font attribute directly, or making the non-translatable text in other ways (most commonly by highlighting - though it may be easier to mark the translatable text instead, if there is less of it) and then making whatever you do not wish to translate "hidden" using search/replace (just search for attributes and don't specify any strings). Trados will ignore the hidden text. After you are done, just replace the hidden text with non-hidden.

Edited to add, after reading replies in progress while I was typing: Unsure if this works in Workbench. It did work in TagEditor.
Collapse

Asset Orymbayev
Asset Orymbayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 03:35
English to Kazakh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answers! Apr 28, 2016

Hi,

Thank you for all answers!

Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 01:35
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Moving this thread to Trados forum... Apr 29, 2016

Hi All,

This topic is more relevant to Trados support forum. So I am moving it there.

Kind regards,
Maya

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Make some parts of Word untranslatable

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »