Joseann Freyer-Lindner
Joseann Freyer-Lindner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:34
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 30, 2016

Hi, I am translating a .pdf and when I save the target file, I can only save it in word .docx format. When I try to open it, however, I get this message:

The file xy cannot be opened, because there is a problem with the content.

And when I go to details it says:
The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag.

It seems there is a tag indicating excel fo
... See more
Hi, I am translating a .pdf and when I save the target file, I can only save it in word .docx format. When I try to open it, however, I get this message:

The file xy cannot be opened, because there is a problem with the content.

And when I go to details it says:
The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag.

It seems there is a tag indicating excel format?
I have no idea how to solve this. Why can I not save the target file as .pdf?

Kind regards and thanks for your help

Joseann
Collapse

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 19:34
English to French
+ ...
Conversion before translation Apr 30, 2016

Hello Joseann

There is one easy way to bypass this problem (in Trados 2014 SP2 at least): firts you save your translation into your main memory. Then convert your original source document (PDF) into Word or any other format, load the converted file into Trados (in the same project); it should translate automatically since you already have the content saved in your memory (except where you split or merged segments). From there, create a target document.
This has worked for me i
... See more
Hello Joseann

There is one easy way to bypass this problem (in Trados 2014 SP2 at least): firts you save your translation into your main memory. Then convert your original source document (PDF) into Word or any other format, load the converted file into Trados (in the same project); it should translate automatically since you already have the content saved in your memory (except where you split or merged segments). From there, create a target document.
This has worked for me in the past. But it doesn't tell you why you had this problem in the first place...
Good luck.

Jean-Pierre
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:34
English to Thai
+ ...
RTF format? Apr 30, 2016

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:

When I have troubles with Word file, I usually escape by Saving As RTF format. Open and save again in *.docx can help with annoying errors. In fact, *.docx files are tolerant to various errors.

Soonthon L.

Joseann Freyer-Lindner
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems with target file May 1, 2016

Hi Folks,
thank you for our input. Any good advice on how to transfer a .pdf into word format?
About the rtf: I would have tried that, but Trados doesn't offer any other format for saving but .docx, which is already strange.

Kind regards
Joseann

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Conversion to Word May 1, 2016

Hello Joseann
To convert your file, go to Zamzar.com load your file and fill in the form, they send you back your converted file within a few minutes. However this is far from perfect, the conversion adds new paragraphs signs at the end of every line, which you have to remove by hand.
Soonthon, do you have a better solution?

Jean-Pierre

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:34
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Joseann May 1, 2016

Joseann F-L wrote:

It seems there is a tag indicating excel format?
I have no idea how to solve this.

Press F7 and check the file for this error. Correct the tag(s), and you will be able to save the target file.

Why can I not save the target file as .pdf?

Because SDL Studio is the software for translation and not for saving PDFs.
PDF is the format for reading, so to say. You can save as PDF from Word, for example.

Natalia

pommetteverte
pommetteverte
Canada
Do not use PDF May 3, 2016

Hello,
One of the annoying aspects of Studio. The program offers translation directly from the PDF format, but from personal experience it almost always crashes when it is time to reconvert after translation.
I would avoid all together using PDF format in Studio. Like another member said, transfer in a more usual format (like Word).
If you are provided with an unusual format, test the conversion before you start translation, at least you will know right away if it works.
... See more
Hello,
One of the annoying aspects of Studio. The program offers translation directly from the PDF format, but from personal experience it almost always crashes when it is time to reconvert after translation.
I would avoid all together using PDF format in Studio. Like another member said, transfer in a more usual format (like Word).
If you are provided with an unusual format, test the conversion before you start translation, at least you will know right away if it works.
Impossible to repair tags in this case because the error message refers to a tag not visible in Studio. And if you try to repair it directly in the file itself (using word pad or UltraEdit or other), it usually corrupts the file beyond use.

Regards,

Pommetteverte
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
At least don't import it straight into Studio May 3, 2016

I would always use Abbyy or Omnipage on the pdf before importing it. Then I have full control with the conversion process.

Joseann Freyer-Lindner
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pdf and Trados May 3, 2016

Dear Pommetteverte and Roy,

thank you very much for your input. I have asked the agency to send me a word file, so they did the conversion for me. As I am not paid for formatting, just for translation, I thought this would be fair.
But I keep your advice for the future.
Just for the records: is there a translation program that does pdf well?

Kind regards

Joseann

pommetteverte
pommetteverte
Canada
Other tool to process PDF May 3, 2016

As far as I know there is no translation software that correctly processes PDF files.
Regards,
Pommetteverte

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The CAT tool would be no better than the pdf engine it uses May 4, 2016

Joseann F-L wrote:
Just for the records: is there a translation program that does pdf well?

My experience is that no pdf tool, including Adobe Acrobat itself, Omnipage or Abbyy does a good job with pdf files if you let them do the conversion automatically. Some are better than others, true, but very often the result is not satisfactory. Therefore, I cannot see how the OCR engine in each different CAT tool can do any better.

That's why I personally prefer Abbyy or Omnipage, since I then can define manually what is to be converted, what type of text it is (straight text, table or what), in what order the text boxes should be read, and what format the exported text should be, i.e. exact copy, editable copy, plain text, and Word file, rtf file, Excel file or what. In addition I may run a spell check before I import the file into my CAT tool.

This may sound rather like a roundabout way of doing things, but usually does not take much time. In addition I feel it is time well spent, since it saves me a lot of later aggravation, so that the translation itself goes much easier.

Roy

[Edited at 2016-05-04 05:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target file in Word format cannot be opened

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »