How to translate Source element into Target elemnt in XML file?
Thread poster: Nadya Rangelova
Nadya Rangelova
Nadya Rangelova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 16:47
English to Bulgarian
May 3, 2016

Dear colleagues,

I received an XML file for translation with the following structure:
/? xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?/ /SRC_VALUE/ Original text //SRC_VALUE/ /TRG_VALUE/ ? //TRG_VALUE/

I need to translate the text from SRC_VALUE element into TRG_VALUE element. Is there any option to create such rule? For example in the .csv rule one can select which column is the source and which is the target text.

I tried to create new XML rule but in vane.
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I received an XML file for translation with the following structure:
/? xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?/ /SRC_VALUE/ Original text //SRC_VALUE/ /TRG_VALUE/ ? //TRG_VALUE/

I need to translate the text from SRC_VALUE element into TRG_VALUE element. Is there any option to create such rule? For example in the .csv rule one can select which column is the source and which is the target text.

I tried to create new XML rule but in vane. Please, give me an advice.

Nadya

P.S. I am using Trados 2014.

[Edited at 2016-05-03 21:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-04 04:34 GMT]
Collapse

Nadya Rangelova
Nadya Rangelova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 16:47
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
Copy text from SRC into TRG and translate only every other segment May 20, 2016

So I ended with copying text from SRC into TRG element and translated only every other segment. Thus, when translating I benefit from the TM function (search, concordance, autopropogate, etc.). After translation I had to clean the odd segments and make sure that only the even segments have translation. After generating the target file I got the required result and did not do any post-processing.

The only cons of this workaround is the time that I spent preparing the file. I am not f
... See more
So I ended with copying text from SRC into TRG element and translated only every other segment. Thus, when translating I benefit from the TM function (search, concordance, autopropogate, etc.). After translation I had to clean the odd segments and make sure that only the even segments have translation. After generating the target file I got the required result and did not do any post-processing.

The only cons of this workaround is the time that I spent preparing the file. I am not familiar with XML and copying and pasting 1,000 segments was a paint and took me about 3 hours. I did this in Notepad++.

If anyone have better idea, please, share it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate Source element into Target elemnt in XML file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »