Verena Schmidt (X)
Verena Schmidt (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:18
English to German
+ ...
May 6, 2016

... by the target of an invocation"

I work with Studio 2011 o a Windows 8.1 machine and get this error message when translating a project file. This doesn't happen when I work with single files.

I can translate and confirm segments, but when I try to click on the the "Project" tab and/or on a single file in the "Project" or "Files" view, Studio displays this message and shuts down.

When I open Studio again, the project has disappeared in the Projects view.<
... See more

I work with Studio 2011 o a Windows 8.1 machine and get this error message when translating a project file. This doesn't happen when I work with single files.

I can translate and confirm segments, but when I try to click on the the "Project" tab and/or on a single file in the "Project" or "Files" view, Studio displays this message and shuts down.

When I open Studio again, the project has disappeared in the Projects view.

I de-installed Studio and Microsoft Word and installed both programs again. The same happens.

I searched the forum, but didn't find a solution. Most posts regarding this message refer to the process of trying to save a target file.

Any help appreciated!

[Bearbeitet am 2016-05-06 15:48 GMT]
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Programming quality indicator May 6, 2016

Obscure error messages, incomprehensive to non-programmers, are useful as an indicator of SDL Trados source code quality.

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:18
Incomprehensible to some, useless to all May 8, 2016

Joakim Braun wrote:

Obscure error messages, incomprehensive to non-programmers, are useful as an indicator of SDL Trados source code quality.

I'm sorry to say, that one's actually meaningless to a programmer too! Stripped of jargon, it says "something went wrong". The more common "error 0x80072ee7" type messages are no more helpful to non-programmers, of course, but at least a programmer will know how to translate that into English: its long name is "ERROR_INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED", which probably makes at least some sense to most people.

That message, though, is a waste of pixels! Assuming you're using the latest 32 bit version of Word (not the 64 bit one? It's available, but doesn't always work with add-ons), I'd try downgrading to the previous one to see if that helps, or try running the Trados app under "compatibility mode": you can make Windows emulate an older version to get around some of these problems.

As a last resort, to test if it is the version of Windows to blame, you can get free "virtual machines" with Windows 7 in from Microsoft themselves here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windows/ - you could put Trados and Word inside a Windows 7 machine to see if that helps.

Joakim's got a point, though, any programmer writing an "error message" that bad probably shouldn't be allowed to release their work to the public!

SDL_Guillaume
SDL_Guillaume
Local time: 13:18
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. May 11, 2016

Verena Schmidt wrote:

When I open Studio again, the project has disappeared in the Projects view.

I de-installed Studio and Microsoft Word and installed both programs again. The same happens.

I searched the forum, but didn't find a solution. Most posts regarding this message refer to the process of trying to save a target file.

Any help appreciated!

[Bearbeitet am 2016-05-06 15:48 GMT]

Dear Ms Schmidt,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

There is an article about this error message in our Knowledge Base, with a resolution: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4257

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Please try out our SDL Community portal http://xl8.one
Professionals helping Professionals with all your SDL Studio questions.

Have a question about licensing and installation?
Use our LIVE CHAT facility bit.lySDLChat

Verena Schmidt (X)
Verena Schmidt (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guillaume, May 16, 2016

I don't get this message when trying to save the target.

Does this resolution also work for my case?

The article says: "NOTE: This article only applies if the error Office has detected a problem with this file. To help protect your computer this file cannot be opened. is showing in the error message."

That's not the error message I get.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Exception has been thrown ...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »