Kenny Barclay
Kenny Barclay  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:24
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
Jun 23, 2016

Hi everyone,

I m having a problem because Studio 2011 doesn't always import some symbols from an html file (specifically some upside down Spanish punctuation ¿ and ¡)

The problem means I can´t edit them out in Studio and they are still there when I generate the target version in English. Therefore, I have to then open, edit and then save the html file. This is a nuisance because I have a large number (over 300) files to translate.

Does anyone know why t
... See more
Hi everyone,

I m having a problem because Studio 2011 doesn't always import some symbols from an html file (specifically some upside down Spanish punctuation ¿ and ¡)

The problem means I can´t edit them out in Studio and they are still there when I generate the target version in English. Therefore, I have to then open, edit and then save the html file. This is a nuisance because I have a large number (over 300) files to translate.

Does anyone know why they don´t appear in the Studio editor or a way around this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Kenny
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Show the file! Jun 23, 2016

Show the file, otherwise it all be just wild guessing. One wild guess: those characters are encoded as HTML entities rather than plain symbols. This is a very obsolete technique from the pre-Unicode era, unfortunately still used by some bad web designers. A possible solution: save them in UTF-8 without entities. This is possible, for example, with UniRed. However, I don’t know if there is any batch processing solution.

Kenny Barclay
Spain
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
The code is Jun 23, 2016

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I´m not too happy about putting up a link. I can tell you the code I need to go in and delete is:

¿ for the ¿
and
¡ for the ¡

So far I´ve been using Find&Replace to change them all at the same time in each document. It is a bit of a pain though!

Thanks
Kenny

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kenny Jun 23, 2016

Kenny Barclay wrote:
I can tell you the code I need to go in and delete is:
¿ for the ¿
and
¡ for the ¡

Unfortunately you pasted the exact same characters in both cases (xUUBF for the upside down question mark, and x00A1 for the upside down exclamation mark).

Kenny Barclay
Spain
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Code was taken to mean the character Jun 23, 2016

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Kenny Barclay wrote:
I can tell you the code I need to go in and delete is:
¿ for the ¿
and
¡ for the ¡

Oops. I didn't preview the post. By posting the code, it was taken to mean the symbol

the code (with period between characters) should be:

&.i.e.x.c.l.;

&.i.q.u.e.s.t.;

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kenny Jun 23, 2016

Kenny Barclay wrote:
I'm having a problem because Studio 2011 doesn't always import some symbols from an html file (specifically some upside down Spanish punctuation ¿ and ¡). ... The problem means I can´t edit them out in Studio and they are still there when I generate the target version in English. Therefore, I have to then open, edit and then save the html file. This is a nuisance because I have a large number (over 300) files to translate.

Kenny sent me the files and I confirm that it is a problem with the fact that the HTML files contain entities such as ¿ and ¡, which is just regular street HTML (despite the fact that some purists are opposed to their presence). Instead of displaying the correct characters, Trados acts lazy and simply turns them into tags. So if they are present in the target text, it means that the entities will be present in the target file.

[Kenny's files aren't fully formed HTML files (no heads, etc), but the code is HTML. So his files contain HTML (and only HTML), but they are not HTML files. Trados 2015 does identify them as HTML5, however.]

I don't have Trados 2011 (only 2015).

It is possible to disable entities in Trados' "HTML5" filter, but I have tried that with Kenny's files, and Trados still turns ¿ and ¡ into tags. So it would appear that there is no solution.

What you can do, is to ensure that you can see the entity, by telling Trados to display more of the tag, instead of just a tiny placeholder. In Trados 2015, you'd go to the View tab and then look on the far right for some purple icons. Hover your mouse over them and make sure the one that is called "Partial tag" is shown. I'm not sure how to do this in Trados 2011.

[Edited at 2016-06-23 14:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 doesn't import symbols ¿¡ from .html

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »