Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 23, 2016

I have one question.

Please have a look at the picture - http://i.imgur.com/add9Qai.png .

I do understand the concept of repetitive words and characters, but what about the number of repetitive segments on the snapshot?

As far as I see, if we compare the number of repetitive words and segments, it turns out that almost all of these segments
have only one word
... See more
I have one question.

Please have a look at the picture - http://i.imgur.com/add9Qai.png .

I do understand the concept of repetitive words and characters, but what about the number of repetitive segments on the snapshot?

As far as I see, if we compare the number of repetitive words and segments, it turns out that almost all of these segments
have only one word.

In other words, what segments are considered to be repetitions? Identical ones?
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, repetition means identical, however... Jun 26, 2016

Repetition means segments that are identical, but there are some settings in each CAT tool to ignore certain differences, so the definition of identical has some flexibility to it.
From the screenshot it looks like that you have a lot of single-word segments, which is often the case if you are translating user interface items where menu options are often single words. Parts or product lists can be like that, too (you know: screw, bolt, nail, bearing, seal, etc.)

In case you we
... See more
Repetition means segments that are identical, but there are some settings in each CAT tool to ignore certain differences, so the definition of identical has some flexibility to it.
From the screenshot it looks like that you have a lot of single-word segments, which is often the case if you are translating user interface items where menu options are often single words. Parts or product lists can be like that, too (you know: screw, bolt, nail, bearing, seal, etc.)

In case you were given this analysis and try to decide how to quote on it, my suggestion is to never accept a job without seeing the actual translatable materials, and running your own analysis in your own CAT-tool that is set up the way you are going to use it.

Katalin
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:23
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The very thought I had Jun 27, 2016

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

From the screenshot it looks like that you have a lot of single-word segments

In case you were given this analysis and try to decide how to quote on it, my suggestion is to never accept a job without seeing the actual translatable materials

Katalin

Yes, I had this thought too that this doc would contain a lot of one-word segments. And yes, a new client of mine sent me the analysis.

Thanks for your opinion. Just another confirmation of my own one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

repetitions - segments (???) or words?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »