XLS file not opening in Studio 2011
Thread poster: roak
roak
roak
United States
German to English
Jun 24, 2016

I have studio 2011 and Office 2016. The client has sent me Excel files in XLS format (2003 version, I guess). When I try opening this file in Studio 2011, I receive an error ""Microsoft Office 2003 or later must be installed for processing XLS files." I dont understand this because I already have 2016 installed. Can someone explain what the error means and what needs doing?

Moreover if I cannot save the file in 97-2003 format, because the SAVE AS button is disabled, so that route i
... See more
I have studio 2011 and Office 2016. The client has sent me Excel files in XLS format (2003 version, I guess). When I try opening this file in Studio 2011, I receive an error ""Microsoft Office 2003 or later must be installed for processing XLS files." I dont understand this because I already have 2016 installed. Can someone explain what the error means and what needs doing?

Moreover if I cannot save the file in 97-2003 format, because the SAVE AS button is disabled, so that route is closed for me.

Can someone please advise me on this?

Thanks a lot
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:53
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Check with the client Jun 24, 2016

Most probably they have sent you a protected file or smth like this. Don't waste your time and just ask the client to check the file and re-send it to you.

roak
roak
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
File not protected Jun 24, 2016

Hello Natalie,
Thanks for getting back quickly. The files are not protected and can be opened easily if opened on their own and that too with my existing 2016 version of Office. However with Studio it just does not function.

I am desperate for some kind of a solution to this. Can someone advise?

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
ok Jun 24, 2016

If you are able to open the file in Excel, and if it is in XLS format, have you tried to re-save it as XLSX?

roak
roak
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still the same error Jun 24, 2016

Natalie, I saved three files in the current version which is installed on my system , ie. 2016 and tried opening them in Studio 2011, I got the error "The file was not created by a supported version of Microsoft Excel application and cannot be processed." In the neighbouring column titled "Origin", I see Excel 2007.
Would this mean that I need to install Office 2007 (in addition to the 2016 I already have)?

Thanks

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry Jun 24, 2016

I am afraid, I am unable to suggest anything else, sorry.

SDL_ Thomas (X)
SDL_ Thomas (X)
Germany
Studio 2011 and MS Office 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Hello Roak,
Thank you for posting here in Proz.com
Studio 2011 does not support MS Office 2016.
Reminder - Engineering and technical support for Studio 2011 has ended on December 31st, 2015
Please visit our Chat Facility for more information on Compatibility with MS Office 2016.
www.sdl.com/CXDesk
(Monday to Friday, 9am – 5.00 pm)

Kind regards

SDL_
... See more
Hello Roak,
Thank you for posting here in Proz.com
Studio 2011 does not support MS Office 2016.
Reminder - Engineering and technical support for Studio 2011 has ended on December 31st, 2015
Please visit our Chat Facility for more information on Compatibility with MS Office 2016.
www.sdl.com/CXDesk
(Monday to Friday, 9am – 5.00 pm)

Kind regards

SDL_Thomas
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XLS file not opening in Studio 2011

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »