CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 21:13
Jul 20, 2016

Every now and then I read replies from SDL Support employees like:

Are you able to send me the file? If not please go to our SDL community

www.xl8.one

-where you are sure to find the advice you need.

I've always enjoyed having feedback from Support for my various CAT tools in one portal (namely Proz.com).

I also think that it's good for competition when Proz members can see which CAT tools generate most errors (which of course is related to the number of users too )

I can understand SDL's reasons to focus on its own platform. However, moving to www.xl8.one would mean extra actions for me. Please also note that the advised referral (www.xl8.one) is a little vague. The OP will have to repeat his search there.

[Edited at 2016-07-20 09:03 GMT]

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:13
English to Arabic
Is SDL support moving away from here? Jul 20, 2016

Hi,

My team and I are from the customer experience desk (CXD)- not technical support (PSMA) team.
We (the CxD team) however endeavour to answer personally as many questions as we possibly can on all the individual (not just Proz) forums.
However if we are unable to help directly, I feel the right thing to do is to ensure everyone has access to the most relevant support resource-knowing translators are often under extreme pressure to deliver on time.

Our SDL
... See more
Hi,

My team and I are from the customer experience desk (CXD)- not technical support (PSMA) team.
We (the CxD team) however endeavour to answer personally as many questions as we possibly can on all the individual (not just Proz) forums.
However if we are unable to help directly, I feel the right thing to do is to ensure everyone has access to the most relevant support resource-knowing translators are often under extreme pressure to deliver on time.

Our SDL community (www.xl8.one) which is staffed by both industry and SDL professionals is designed purely with our translators in mind as a single source of fast and professional help around the clock.
The community is open to everyone and is completely free of charge.

Being able to concentrate as many resources in one place I think is really important, as this allows us to continually improve our response times, recognise any developing issues (such as the recent anti virus update issue) and overall generally provide the very best support we can.

Of course we will continue to answer all questions that we can directly in the various forums.

Kr

SDL_Steve
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't enjoy that at all Jul 20, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

I've always enjoyed having feedback from Support for my various CAT tools in one portal (namely Proz.com).

I also think that it's good for competition when Proz members can see which CAT tools generate most errors (which of course is related to the number of users too

I have repeatedly complained to Proz about 80% of all the forum posts here being related to Trados bugs.

As both a WordFast Classic user and a paying Proz member, I expected to be empowered to squelch all posts in which I have no interest whatsoever, exactly like I can evade all forums written in languages I don't understand.

Quite frankly, I don't see a point in any translator having more than one - at most two - different CAT tools. For reasons irrelevant here, I owned two cars for a couple of years, equivalent models from quite different (GM/VW) manufacturers. Nobody else needed either one, and I could drive only one of them at a time. It was a matter of flipping a coin every day before leaving home.

Yet Proz has been stubbornly resisting for years to implement this feature, which should be very easy, as it exists on other forums. SDL calls it "reaching out" with their user support. I feel sure there is some payment involved.

If Trado$ and its compul$ory annual updates fail to generate sufficient income to fund direct user support, a newsgroup on Yahoo is free, fully searchable, and would cover the "reaching out act" at no cost, however being limited to willing subscribers.

So, if SDL support is moving out from the Proz forums, please have a safe trip, anywhere else you go!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Server projects Jul 20, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Quite frankly, I don't see a point in any translator having more than one - at most two - different CAT tools.

Lucky you! Obviously you don't need these other CAT tools for purposes like downloading server projects that you can then luckily translate in your own, preferred CAT tools.

This reason, and the final (second) QA in the originating CAT tools are my main reasons to have several cats.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Exactly my point! Jul 20, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Quite frankly, I don't see a point in any translator having more than one - at most two - different CAT tools.

Lucky you! Obviously you don't need these other CAT tools for purposes like downloading server projects that you can then luckily translate in your own, preferred CAT tools.

This reason, and the final (second) QA in the originating CAT tools are my main reasons to have several cats.

In spite of using my own WFC license, I've done jobs using client-provided Passolo (no idea on whether it's free), as well as a series of huge translation jobs done on the cloud, with about a dozen colleagues, some - myself included - using client-provided portable MemoQ licenses.

Back to the cars analogy, it's like a client telling me, "We don't care about the car(s) you have. For this assignment you (and all your project peers) will be driving cars from our fleet."

Then, IF I NEEDED, I'd join as many forums specific to the CAT tools I used, and NOT ANY OTHER(s). Doesn't this make sense?

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The SDL community will probably give you better support Jul 22, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

However, moving to www.xl8.one would mean extra actions for me.

What do you mean by "extra action"?

Posting your SDL software related question on the SDL Community forum has the advantage that you may get faster responses because there are more experts (external ones like me, as well as SDL staff) monitoring that forum than this one.

Another reason is that we (I mean the external experts now) are doing this in our spare time, so we prefer to concentrate on one forum rather than having to check several ones. Sometimes we also see people posting their question on both forums, which means additional work and should be avoided. Concentrating on one place would make a lot much easier.

Last but not least, the SDL Community forum offers additional useful functions, such as an automatic search for similar questions, so that you can immediately see whether your question has possibly already been addressed. This helps to minimize the number of "duplicate" posts.
And it has separate forums for each product (Studio, Multiterm, Passolo, GroupShare, etc.), which ensures that you get answers from the corresponding experts.

Finally, as Steve said, the access is free for every user of SDL software.

Here is the link (directly to the Studio forum, so that you don't need to search your way):
https://goo.gl/WaAtsc

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is SDL support moving away from here?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »