Did you all vote for an app you'd like to see developed?
Thread poster: RWS Community
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:18
English
Jul 21, 2016

Hi all,

Hopefully you were all aware of the competition that has been running for the last month or so. There were over 200 app ideas submitted and we selected 13 of the most common themes which everyone can now vote for here in the SDL Community.

The idea being that the one th
... See more
Hi all,

Hopefully you were all aware of the competition that has been running for the last month or so. There were over 200 app ideas submitted and we selected 13 of the most common themes which everyone can now vote for here in the SDL Community.

The idea being that the one that has the most votes will be developed by us, and there's an opportunity to win a tablet in a competition running at the same time... you only have to vote!

So just making sure everyone here knew about this and can go and vote when you have time... assuming you see something in the 13 ideas you like!

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community
Collapse

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 22:18
English to German
+ ...
Not the right apps Jul 21, 2016

I would like an app that reminds me when I stop working and screw around on the internet.
Like something that gives an alarm after a 5 minutes of not typing into Studio, for example.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea!! Jul 21, 2016

Henning Holthusen wrote:

I would like an app that reminds me when I stop working and screw around on the internet.
Like something that gives an alarm after a 5 minutes of not typing into Studio, for example.

You should have suggested it in the initial part of the competition... although I think you may have been a lone voice as there were no others with the same idea.

Probably easy enough to do though for a developer... nothing too difficult about that! Mighth be fun to have increasingly annoyed comments if you ignore the reminders and maybe even some funny voices

Regards

Paul

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I would like an app ... Jul 21, 2016

... that spares me the effort to manually edit every single date that the automatic replacement feature inserts.

[Edited at 2016-07-21 13:13 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
You can do that now... Jul 21, 2016

Erik Freitag wrote:

... that spares me the effort to manually edit every single date that the automatic replacement feature inserts.

... with a search and replace app across your project. Then you only do it once! Well potentially 12 times But I can think of a good app worth developing to handle that in one go....

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2016-07-21 13:23 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
. Jul 21, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:

... with a search and replace app across your project. Then you only do it once! Well potentially 12 times But I can think of a good app worth developing to handle that in one go....

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2016-07-21 13:23 GMT]

Or the automatic replacement function could be made to get it correct right away

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Magic wand. Jul 21, 2016

Paul, it seems you can develop an app for almost everything we suggest.

Is there a way for me to "pin" my dictionary or other reference files so I do not have to close the Trados window back and forth?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Of course Jul 21, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Paul, it seems you can develop an app for almost everything we suggest.

Is there a way for me to "pin" my dictionary or other reference files so I do not have to close the Trados window back and forth?

If they are web based you might be able to look them up using the existing weblookup tool:

http://appstore.sdl.com/app/web-lookup/455/

But if it's reference files then why not go and vote for the very idea that's in the list... if it gets the most votes it'll become a reality.

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed ;-) Jul 21, 2016

Erik Freitag wrote:

Or the automatic replacement function could be made to get it correct right away

... and you could solve that now if you tried using the TermInjector application. It's quite tricky to manage but once you've figured it out is very capable. Sadly the developer isn't doing anything else with it so you have to trick it to work in Studio 2015 but there are people doing this successfully.

We have an item on our app backlog to redo this ourselves and try to make it easier to use too... will have to see.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did you all vote for an app you'd like to see developed?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »