How to QA terms while allowing alternative target terms?
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 06:33
Jul 26, 2016

How can I QA for terms consistency while allowing different target terms at the same time?

So, source = einfahren and target can be either intrekken or inschuiven or inrijden. All alternative target terms should be allowed, meaning: not reporting false positives.

[Edited at 2016-07-26 11:35 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Automatically? Jul 26, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

How can I QA for terms consistency while allowing different target terms at the same time?

So, source = einfahren and target can be either intrekken or inschuiven or inrijden. All alternative target terms should be allowed, meaning: not reporting false positives.

[Edited at 2016-07-26 11:35 GMT]

If all these target terms are entered as translations at the highest level (meaning: all target terms are equal), will they be accepted automatically during QA?

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Only terms with the status "forbidden" will be flagged Jul 26, 2016

QA for terminology is done using the function "Terminology Verifier". This function will only issue a warning when the target text contains a term with a status field = "forbidden" (or whatever you have defined in the Terminology Verifier settings).
This means that it will not flag synonyms if they all have a status "approved" ((or whatever you have defined in the Terminology Verifier settings).

Walter

sjduarte
sjduarte
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
false positives are unavoidable Jul 27, 2016

I don't think there is a way to avoid false positives in this case. You're telling the system to flag instances where such target terms aren't used, and that's exactly what it does.

Unless your glossary allows different target translations for one source term with the condition "or", which I don't think is possible with Multiterm. Is this correct? Anyone?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to QA terms while allowing alternative target terms?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »