Studio 2015: Can I preserve tracked changes in source in the target document?
Thread poster: L. Clark Gillette
L. Clark Gillette
L. Clark Gillette  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Jul 30, 2016

I am translating a docx document with a lot of tracked changes that need to be preserved as is in the translation, in other words, in the target segment portions need to be marked as deleted and inserted exactly as they are in the source.

I have gotten help from SDL support to make the changes display in the source segments, but when I copied the source segments to the target, assuming the tracked changes would be preserved, most of the tracked changes were automatically accepted. A
... See more
I am translating a docx document with a lot of tracked changes that need to be preserved as is in the translation, in other words, in the target segment portions need to be marked as deleted and inserted exactly as they are in the source.

I have gotten help from SDL support to make the changes display in the source segments, but when I copied the source segments to the target, assuming the tracked changes would be preserved, most of the tracked changes were automatically accepted. Actually, the deletions remained marked, but most of the insertions were inserted as accepted, no color or underline. This is oddly with the exception of changes involving numbers in numbered lists. New numbers did appear with the appropriate color and underline. [Edit:] to add to the confusion, deletions are preserved when copying some segments, but not all. I'm baffled.

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to preserve the tracked changes with the exact formatting they have in the target segment?

I was unable to find any similar question in the forum that was about Studio. I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me, or direct me to the appropriate topic.

Thank you very much

[Edited at 2016-07-30 16:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-07-30 17:03 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:34
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Tracked changes in target segements Jul 30, 2016

As you say, copying source to target will spoil any tracked changes displayed on the source side.

If I were you I would set the display to hide tracked changes on both sides and translate the file. (To hide tracked changes go to the Review tab and toggle "final mode" on.)
Then toggle "final mode" off (to see the tracked changes on the source side).
Go through your file again, this time with tracked changes on (Review tab>Track changes), and translate the changes you see
... See more
As you say, copying source to target will spoil any tracked changes displayed on the source side.

If I were you I would set the display to hide tracked changes on both sides and translate the file. (To hide tracked changes go to the Review tab and toggle "final mode" on.)
Then toggle "final mode" off (to see the tracked changes on the source side).
Go through your file again, this time with tracked changes on (Review tab>Track changes), and translate the changes you see on the source side to make the target segments match the source segments.
Collapse

L. Clark Gillette
United States
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestion Jul 30, 2016

I will give this a try, thanks again!

L. Clark Gillette
United States
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Emma Jul 31, 2016

Your solution worked perfectly and I have now learned something new!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015: Can I preserve tracked changes in source in the target document?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »