Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
SDL Trados Studio 2017 is coming soon!
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
javierxp
javierxp
Spain
automatic translation, should be free Sep 10, 2016

what I don't like about Trados, is you don't have a BASIC automatic translation, and that should be free...

you have this service in Google Translate, so even if you don't want to allow this feature, people will be able to copy all the text segments, go to Google translate, translate there, and copy back to Trados...

The business I guess is in the specialized dictionaries, but not allowing a basic free translation... or complicating it with free accounts that expire in
... See more
what I don't like about Trados, is you don't have a BASIC automatic translation, and that should be free...

you have this service in Google Translate, so even if you don't want to allow this feature, people will be able to copy all the text segments, go to Google translate, translate there, and copy back to Trados...

The business I guess is in the specialized dictionaries, but not allowing a basic free translation... or complicating it with free accounts that expire in 30 days... is something I really don't like. You buy SYSTRAN, for example, and you have automatic translation.

Also... a good idea would be an internal messaging system, attach files to a project.
I am in an engineering technical project, and I want to attach a PDF with a list of words that the revisor for the job will take a look and have in mind...
This is very cool cos you can attach even full PDF documents with words from dictionaries, and people can take a look it.
Just my two cents.
Cheers
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:13
English
Of course we do! Sep 10, 2016

javierxp wrote:

We have always offered this. Initially it was called SDL ATS, then as we improved the offering it became SDL BeGlobal and now as this has grown and become more flexible in many ways it has become SDL Language Cloud. We have always offered a free option for Freelance Translators.

We also offer plugins to many more Machine Translation solutions so there is certainly plenty of choice. Google is not the only solution.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 13:13
English to Finnish
+ ...
why not 2018 ? Sep 10, 2016

Why not skip 2017 altogether? Or, alternatively, offer a lifetime subscription (a new version every year). So, if you live until 2070, you will have 53 versions of Studio. Wouldn't that be nice?

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
sounds good Sep 11, 2016

[quote]SDL_Dan wrote:

"SDL Trados Studio 2017 will bring revolutionary innovation to help you translate faster and ensure high quality translations - including a totally transformed, personalized Machine Translation Experience."

Fantastic! "A revolutionary innovation to ensure high quality translations". (No matter how bad the translator is)

[Edited at 2016-09-11 04:55 GMT]

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:13
English to Arabic
2017.... Sep 12, 2016

Hi Finnworld,

Thank you for your feedback.
I do appreciate that a small number of users are still using a software that is maybe 10,12, or even 15 years old and are more than happy to continue using these versions. (which you can continue to do so whilst your other hard/software remains compatible).
However, as everyone is aware, IT/Technology moves forward at what can be perceived as an alarming rate (many smart phones now have more computing power that desktop PC's 15
... See more
Hi Finnworld,

Thank you for your feedback.
I do appreciate that a small number of users are still using a software that is maybe 10,12, or even 15 years old and are more than happy to continue using these versions. (which you can continue to do so whilst your other hard/software remains compatible).
However, as everyone is aware, IT/Technology moves forward at what can be perceived as an alarming rate (many smart phones now have more computing power that desktop PC's 15 years ago) therefore we (SDL) need to keep pace with new technology such as operating systems/office releases/browser compatibility or even third party software upgrade versions (Adobe) and indeed what the overwhelming majority of users tell us they want to see.
If you already own a valid license, you will be aware that you can continue to use this license for as long as you wish (as long as other hard/software allows).
SDL keeps new releases to an absolute minimum (once every 18-24 months), there is however absolutely no obligation to purchase or upgrade, if the new features and functionality are not what you are looking for or need.
Once you do upgrade-there is no need to keep the old versions at all any more (you are purchasing a license to use the latest version- NOT however the software itself).
The best way to ensure you have the latest available version (at a single fixed yearly cost) is to invest in PSMA.
PSMA provides UNLIMITED professional support (surely a must for the professional translator) and all upgrades at no extra cost.
With each new release, we build in new features that are technically possible and which have been asked for by the majority of users.
(we even have an area where translators can post their wishes and ideas and a community forum http://xl8.one where professional help professionals and even our own development team see requests and answer questions- all FREE of charge)
As with any 'tool' in any professions- If the translator does not provide quality from the outset then- Bad work in!- Bad work out!- Studio cannot fix that and does not suggest otherwise.

Kr

SDL-Steve
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It seems to me that... Sep 12, 2016

...it's time to move towards a monthly subscription model with free updates. That way everyone is always working with the same version.

Most agencies forbid the use of MT, so this new feature is useless for working with them.

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
That's absolutely right Sep 12, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:
Most agencies forbid the use of MT, so this new feature is useless for working with them.

I was just waiting for this comment.

Many of us have signed NDA or other confidential nature agreements which explicitly forbid the use of existing external MT (no matter if they are “good” or “bad”).

So, apart MT news and new features, and apart the possibility of joining “end of paragraph” (¶) closing paragraphs, which really are the improvements of SDL Studio 2017 (if they can be disclosed at this point) compared to e.g. SDL Studio 2015?

Thank you.

Claudio

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Really? Sep 12, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

...it's time to move towards a monthly subscription model with free updates. That way everyone is always working with the same version.

But do they really? I have yet to see more than only a few mentions of it in my dealings with agencies.

Michael

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
But do they? Sep 12, 2016

SDL_Steve wrote:
SDL keeps new releases to an absolute minimum (once every 18-24 months), there is however absolutely no obligation to purchase or upgrade, if the new features and functionality are not what you are looking for or need.
SDL-Steve

Some other CAT tools I use release new upgrades much less often than that, which means they don't charge as much in the long run as SDL do. Even so their tools are still up to date, since they release new updates cost free for the user.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Upgrades and updates Sep 12, 2016

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Even so their tools are still up to date, since they release new updates cost free for the user.

Updates are free in most programs (including Studio).
Upgrades to new versions are always paid for by the user, either by a one-off payment for a permanent license (e.g. Studio) or by paying a yearly subscription / having a support agreement (memoQ uses this business approach, and Studio also offers it).

Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
x64 finally? Sep 13, 2016

Hello,

is Studio 2017 going to be x64 finally? Will its clunky engines be refreshed and updated?

I am currently stuck at importing a 1.8GB tmx to a newly created TM - 40 hours and not nearly ending. And it uses 18% CPU capacity max.
I would have resaddled to Memoq already, but I do not have the time to transfer all the resources..

So I would definitely upgrade if S2017 is a proper overhaul, not a tiny little cosmetic correction again (far from justify
... See more
Hello,

is Studio 2017 going to be x64 finally? Will its clunky engines be refreshed and updated?

I am currently stuck at importing a 1.8GB tmx to a newly created TM - 40 hours and not nearly ending. And it uses 18% CPU capacity max.
I would have resaddled to Memoq already, but I do not have the time to transfer all the resources..

So I would definitely upgrade if S2017 is a proper overhaul, not a tiny little cosmetic correction again (far from justifying the sale as a "new" product).
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Yeah Sep 13, 2016

Tomi Dobaj wrote:

Hello,

So I would definitely upgrade if S2017 is a proper overhaul, not a tiny little cosmetic correction again (far from justifying the sale as a "new" product).

Seconded.
I'm also waiting for a new TM editor with at least such basic options as in Heartsome TMX Editor and the ability to scroll through the whole TM (not the ludicrous 200 segments at a time), much improved concordance (and I mean MUCH, because the present concordance is simply pathetic), the option to use a TM in a reverse mode without using special plugins (as a result you end up having two large TMs anyway), the option to choose on-the-fly the termbase where you want to save your term, and finally vertical editing.

I've been one of the most ardent Studio supporters for the last several months, but I simply can't pretend that some functions or lack of them don't get on my nerves. They do. Heavily.

But I don't have any big hopes, because lots of the requests for some of these options have fallen on deaf ears for many years already.

[Edited at 2016-09-13 18:54 GMT]

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
x64 Sep 14, 2016

Hi Tomi, Wojciech,

Sorry for the delay- I had to get 100% confirmation before replying.
SDL Studio 2017 will continue to use a 32 Bit system at launch but will be using an increased memory (large address space) of up to 3GB.
I understand in your case that you have a huge TMX that you need to import which is very time consuming-
therefore the place to make your reques
... See more
Hi Tomi, Wojciech,

Sorry for the delay- I had to get 100% confirmation before replying.
SDL Studio 2017 will continue to use a 32 Bit system at launch but will be using an increased memory (large address space) of up to 3GB.
I understand in your case that you have a huge TMX that you need to import which is very time consuming-
therefore the place to make your requests is actually in the SDL Community http://xl8.one
In our community our developers see and respond to your requests and you can ask any question around Studio (or indeed SDL) you want.

Hope this helps.

Kr SDL_Steve
Collapse

SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Live Q&A with Massimo Ghislandi and Neil Ferguson Sep 20, 2016

Do you have a question about the upcoming release of SDL Trados Studio 2017?

We are running a LIVE Q&A on Facebook and Twitter, today at 3pm BST. Simply type your question in the comments box during the live stream, and Massimo and Neil will answer you live.

Join the Q&A on Facebook>>

Join the Q&A on Twitter>>

Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Spellchek dictionary issue not fixed in v2014 & v2015 despite reporting the issue in v2011 Sep 22, 2016

Back in 2013 I reported the fact that Trados' Romanian spellcheck dictionary uses wrong Turkish characters for "ș" and "ț", i.e. the ones with a cedilla instead of a comma, and this issue has not been fixed in versions 2014 and 2015.
Will this issue be fixed in version 2017 or should address this issue to the Consumer Protection Authority?

Best wishes,
Daniel

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 is coming soon!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »