Alžbeta Takácsová  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 16:17
Member (2014)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Aug 23, 2016

Hi everyone,

I do apologize if this has already been discussed, but I have a bilingual word file (two columns, one for each language per page) and want to make the best of it, i.e. make sdlxliff, xtml together with TM and TB. Is there any way how to do this in an easy, no manual way?

Thanks for all postings,
Alžbeta

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Use the bilingual Excel filetype Aug 23, 2016

Alžbeta

I guess the easiest way is to copy-paste your two columns into an Excel document and then open this Excel file using the "Bilingual Excel" filetype (you need to temporarily uncheck the normal Excel filetype for this).
In the settings of the filetype, indicate which column is source and which one is target. You will then see the source and target in Studio's Editor and you can check/revise the segments and confirm them so they get into your TM (which you have assigned
... See more
Alžbeta

I guess the easiest way is to copy-paste your two columns into an Excel document and then open this Excel file using the "Bilingual Excel" filetype (you need to temporarily uncheck the normal Excel filetype for this).
In the settings of the filetype, indicate which column is source and which one is target. You will then see the source and target in Studio's Editor and you can check/revise the segments and confirm them so they get into your TM (which you have assigned to the project).
You may also use the batch task "Update Main TM" if you don't want to review the segments.

Walter
Collapse

Alžbeta Takácsová
Slovakia
Member (2014)
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
uncheck normal excel filetype Aug 23, 2016

Dear Walter,

many many thanks for your suggestion. I will definetely try it, only I do not well understand the point where you mention to uncheck the normal excel filetype.
What I do at the moment is creating two-columned Excel file, each column indicating the appropriate language (in order to create a TB in Multiterm). But I would like to see this in Trados editor in segments as you mention.
Alžbeta

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Normal Excel filter will treat all cells as source Aug 23, 2016

Alžbeta Takácsová wrote:
many many thanks for your suggestion. I will definetely try it, only I do not well understand the point where you mention to uncheck the normal excel filetype.
What I do at the moment is creating two-columned Excel file, each column indicating the appropriate language (in order to create a TB in Multiterm). But I would like to see this in Trados editor in segments as you mention.
Alžbeta

If Studio runs the normal Excel filter first, the file will not be treated as a bilingual file, so that all cells come in source while target will be empty. You don't want that.

Hope that answers your question.
Roy

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:17
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Align it Aug 23, 2016

Alžbeta Takácsová wrote:

Hi everyone,

I do apologize if this has already been discussed, but I have a bilingual word file (two columns, one for each language per page) and want to make the best of it, i.e. make sdlxliff, xtml together with TM and TB. Is there any way how to do this in an easy, no manual way?

Thanks for all postings,
Alžbeta

Or you can cut the other half and paste it into another word file, then align these two files in Trados.

Simona Sgro

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Coppy, paste, and hide source column Aug 23, 2016

Dear Alžbeta

Copy the source column
Paste it on the target column
Select the source column, hide it using Font > Hide
Save the changes.
Proceed to translate the Word file using SDL Trados Studio.
Export the file
Unhide the hidden text at the source column.

Note: If you use Excel, you should select the source column and hide it using the right clic button.

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:17
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Align Aug 24, 2016

Hi Alžbeta,
I think I have understood your problem. The only solution I know is to use the "Align" function.
To do it you have to creat two paralel files one with the source language and the second with the target.
Once you have created the files you can use the align function to creat (update) a TM.

See attached image:

[Edited at 2016-08-24 06:50 GMT]

Alžbeta Takácsová
Slovakia
Member (2014)
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the help to all of you Aug 24, 2016

Many thanks for all suggestion. I guess I will need to play around and learn some new functions, which is very exciting.

Amnon, I cannot see any image attached in your reply.

Alžbeta

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:17
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Image Aug 24, 2016

I tried to upload an image but it didnot work. please write to me at:
[email protected]
and I will mail to you directly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual word file into Trados 2014

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »