How can I create a TMX file after translating my document and creating an SDLTM.
Thread poster: Suzanne Reynolds
Suzanne Reynolds
Suzanne Reynolds  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
Chinese to English
Aug 24, 2016

I have been asked to deliver a TMX TM, but Trados produces SDLTM files - is there a means of producing a TMX file using Trados?

I have no doubt it's very very simple, but I'm a noob.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use export function Aug 24, 2016

I am not sure without opening the software where this function is but there are several ways, I believe from project settings, selecting the tm and choose export button or right-click. You can also export from tm view after you open the tm. This will create a tmx.

Suzanne Reynolds
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Exporting Aug 24, 2016

Hi Lianne,

Nice to meet you.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Do you recommend exporting in this way after the translation is finished?

Thanks again

Suzanne

Suzanne Reynolds
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Looking in project settings Aug 24, 2016

I cannot see the TM I created anywhere in project settings. Might this be because I didn't create a project rather just 'translate a single document'?

Thanks.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Suggestions Aug 26, 2016

S_Reynolds wrote:

I cannot see the TM I created anywhere in project settings. Might this be because I didn't create a project rather just 'translate a single document'?

Thanks.

I am sorry I didn't see these updates. I need to change my forum settings, apparently.

Are you saying you translated a document without setting up a translation memory?
That is what you always should do. You can do it afterwards too: add or create a tm, then confirm/commit all translation units to the tm. This will store all segments you translated. Then it can be exported.

http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/SDL_Trados_Studio_Help.htm#TM_View/TM_Data/Importing_Exporting_TM_Data/Export_Translation_Memory_Data.htm

An screenshot of where you can find these functions:
https://www.vertaalt.nu/file/SDLX-TM.jpg

Or look at "translation memory sdl studio" and select images for various screenshots.

Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:03
Italian to English
+ ...
sdl tm to tmx format Aug 29, 2016

Hello!
I know two options.

1) If you have SDL Trados 2014 or previous versions, the simplest and perhaps the only way is to use the plug-in SDLTM convert, that is very easy to use.

The related link is http://appstore.sdl.com/list/most-downloaded/.

You can find it on the bottom of the same page and obviously you have to download it.

<
... See more
Hello!
I know two options.

1) If you have SDL Trados 2014 or previous versions, the simplest and perhaps the only way is to use the plug-in SDLTM convert, that is very easy to use.

The related link is http://appstore.sdl.com/list/most-downloaded/.

You can find it on the bottom of the same page and obviously you have to download it.

2) If you have SDL Trados 2015, you have to open the single TM, then click on Export and then activate " Export to Workbench-optimized Tmx format for use in Trados 2007",

then select the right location and click on finish.

Sure this can help.

Regards

Piero Intonti
Collapse

Rafael Belokurows

Suzanne Reynolds
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Piero Intonti Aug 29, 2016

Thanks Piero,

I can't remember how I managed it but I got it done at the time.

Thanks again.

Suzanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I create a TMX file after translating my document and creating an SDLTM.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »