Gianluca Attoli
Gianluca Attoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2016

Hi everyone,

first of all, I hope I will be able to make myself clear as English is not my mother language. I would like to ask you some help about something that is bugging me since some weeks: whenever I open or create a new bilingual file in Trados, from whatever source file, when I open Project settings > TMs window I see dozens of TMs I either used once and the deleted, or I use sometimes but are not supposed to show up there. It is like a sort of history of all the TMs I used
... See more
Hi everyone,

first of all, I hope I will be able to make myself clear as English is not my mother language. I would like to ask you some help about something that is bugging me since some weeks: whenever I open or create a new bilingual file in Trados, from whatever source file, when I open Project settings > TMs window I see dozens of TMs I either used once and the deleted, or I use sometimes but are not supposed to show up there. It is like a sort of history of all the TMs I used in the past months.

The thing is that it annoys me seeing this endless list of TMs most of which aren't even there anymore (I mean on my computer), and having to browse them to locate the one(s) I need - or adding a new one, which will be there eventually the next time. They just keep piling up for no reason. I see this is not a major issue, but until some weeks ago it was not like that - new project meant a blank Project settings > TM list, so I added/created one each time, just the one I needed, and saw only that. I did nothing (no upgrades/updates etc.) and had no troubles with my computer (e.g viruses etc.). It just started to do that at some point out of the blue. What happened?

I tried to remove them manually, but it does not help - the next time I open Trados, they are all still there again. And as I said, most of them have been deleted already since weeks/months, so this is completely nonsense.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

[Modificato alle 2016-08-29 09:55 GMT]
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:37
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Project template Aug 29, 2016

I don't fully understand Studio's default behavior and I work with 2015, but I have seen other translation software that lists all tm's even if they have been removed from your computer, because that information is stored in software application files (probably an xml file). I only recently created a few project templates for Studio before my system crashed and I have to do this again, but I think that should solve your problem.

"If you find you are regularly changing your settings
... See more
I don't fully understand Studio's default behavior and I work with 2015, but I have seen other translation software that lists all tm's even if they have been removed from your computer, because that information is stored in software application files (probably an xml file). I only recently created a few project templates for Studio before my system crashed and I have to do this again, but I think that should solve your problem.

"If you find you are regularly changing your settings for translations then we highly recommend you create a project template. Project templates reduce the amount of time and effort involved in creating new projects by reusing settings and selections used to create previous projects."
http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/2778.html

More about project template settings.
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Projects_View/P_About_Project_Templates.htm

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Projects_View/CreatProjects/ProjTemp/P_Create_a_Project_Template.htm
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
New project settings Aug 29, 2016

Gianluca Attoli wrote:

new project meant a blank Project settings > TM list, so I added/created one each time, just the one I needed, and saw only that.

When you create a new project, what do you base it on? A project template or a previous project? This might help to know where to delete the TMs from.
Still, it's quite strange because if you've deleted the TMs from your computer, Studio should be throwing error messages to say it can't find the TMs listed in the project, so something else might be going on.

Gianluca Attoli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 29, 2016

Thank you for your help Lianne! As soon as I am done with this project I will check the solutions you suggest.

Actually Emma, I rarely create projects on purpose - most of the times I only open a document and create a bilingual file straight away for that particular task, adding just a TM.

It's just weird that it keeps displaying loads of TMs I don't even have anymore since months. I already checked the projects/project templates folders and gave them a clean, but that
... See more
Thank you for your help Lianne! As soon as I am done with this project I will check the solutions you suggest.

Actually Emma, I rarely create projects on purpose - most of the times I only open a document and create a bilingual file straight away for that particular task, adding just a TM.

It's just weird that it keeps displaying loads of TMs I don't even have anymore since months. I already checked the projects/project templates folders and gave them a clean, but that didn't solve.

Well I will keep you posted, thank you again for your input!
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
General settings Aug 29, 2016

Gianluca Attoli wrote:

most of the times I only open a document and create a bilingual file straight away for that particular task, adding just a TM.

In that case you should check your settings in General Options. Go to under Tools>Options>Language Pairs>All Language Pairs>Translation Memory and Automated Translation
The list of TMs on the right hand side should show the ones you don't want and you'll be able to remove them from the list.
Next time you open a document you should only see the TMs that you have left in the list.

Gianluca Attoli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 29, 2016

Hi Emma,

thanks! Actually that is what I always did already, and still do it all the times I use Trados - and that's precisely the problem. I remove the TMs from the list, keep just the one(s) I need (or remove them all and create/add the one(s) I need) and the next time, they're all back there again. I remove them again, and the next time they're all there again. And I mean that whole endless list of the TMs (well, not endless, still 3-4 dozens at least). And so on... While once, i
... See more
Hi Emma,

thanks! Actually that is what I always did already, and still do it all the times I use Trados - and that's precisely the problem. I remove the TMs from the list, keep just the one(s) I need (or remove them all and create/add the one(s) I need) and the next time, they're all back there again. I remove them again, and the next time they're all there again. And I mean that whole endless list of the TMs (well, not endless, still 3-4 dozens at least). And so on... While once, it was like you said - you removed them once and it was enough. It's like if this removal is "temporary" and when I close Trados it doesn't "remember" that, so the next time it shows them again (again, complete nonsense since most of them have been deleted).

[Modificato alle 2016-08-29 16:56 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Remembering the previous setting is standard in Studio Aug 30, 2016

Gianluca

Studio by design remembers your project settings and suggest them again next time you create a single-file project. This is basically a good idea because it means that you don't need to reassign the TMs you use regularly for every new project.

However, if you do remove one or more of these TMs, the setting should be modified and you should not get the removed TMs suggested anymore. Why this does not work on your system remains a mystery to me. I suggest you go
... See more
Gianluca

Studio by design remembers your project settings and suggest them again next time you create a single-file project. This is basically a good idea because it means that you don't need to reassign the TMs you use regularly for every new project.

However, if you do remove one or more of these TMs, the setting should be modified and you should not get the removed TMs suggested anymore. Why this does not work on your system remains a mystery to me. I suggest you go to "File - Setup - Project Templates", select the default template, click on "Edit" and correct the list of TMs to what you want and need. The default project template is the one used to create single file projects.

Another and much better approach is to create "real" projects instead of using the command "Translate single file" because in this case you can create different project templates for the different scenarios you regularly have and give them the exact settings you need for those scenarios. This is where the power and flexibility of Studio really
shines.
"Translate single file" should only be used occasionally for small and simple projects.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2016-08-30 19:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 keeps showing all my previous TMs in Project settings

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »