Anne Savaris  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:18
Member (2016)
Portuguese to Italian
+ ...
Aug 31, 2016

Hi,

I have a text in word, in my native language (PT) and I'm translating it into English (US). But I was also entitled to proofread the source text. Now I would like to do both jobs contemporaneously, tracking changes on source and being able to save both the proofread source (showing changes) and translated target in 2 different word docs. I'm using Trados 2014 and sort of getting to know it, although I can use its basic features well.

Thanks a lot!

Anne.
... See more
Hi,

I have a text in word, in my native language (PT) and I'm translating it into English (US). But I was also entitled to proofread the source text. Now I would like to do both jobs contemporaneously, tracking changes on source and being able to save both the proofread source (showing changes) and translated target in 2 different word docs. I'm using Trados 2014 and sort of getting to know it, although I can use its basic features well.

Thanks a lot!

Anne.

[Edited at 2016-08-31 13:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-08-31 13:52 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:18
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Not sure if this is a good idea Aug 31, 2016

My experience is that doing two jobs in one go makes me more prone to overlook things.

But other than that I regretably cannot give you an advice on how to do what you want in Studio.

Roy

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:18
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Save source and target separately Aug 31, 2016

Interesting! Like Roy, I can see it's a challenging and complex project.

Studio isn't really designed for proofreading a source text, so although you can edit the source, you can't do it with tracked changes (which you can with target segments).

However, as a workaround, you can edit the source segments as you go (in the active segment, press Alt+F2). Then translate your edited source segments.
At the end, save the edited source text (File>Advanced save>Save sou
... See more
Interesting! Like Roy, I can see it's a challenging and complex project.

Studio isn't really designed for proofreading a source text, so although you can edit the source, you can't do it with tracked changes (which you can with target segments).

However, as a workaround, you can edit the source segments as you go (in the active segment, press Alt+F2). Then translate your edited source segments.
At the end, save the edited source text (File>Advanced save>Save source) and the target text separately (Shift+F12).
In Word, run a comparison of the two source files to get a version with tracked changes.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading source text while translating using SDL

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »