Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:40
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
... Sep 28, 2016

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Miquel,

Processing your upgrades in your SDL account is very easy and straightforward.

All you need to do is log in to your SDL account /Licenses and you will see the following-
Upgrade

then

Account Upgrade 2

these are actual screens shots of your personal SDL account to demonstrate the ease of upgrading.

Once you have processed the upgrade, the new 2015 license code(s) will be visible under Licenses.
If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Kr

SDL_Steve

Thank you, Steve.

I had followed several times the exact same procedure you describe, with absolutely no results. It turned out that there is a dropdown list with numbers, not mentioned by you or in the upgrading instructions, where you are supposed to choose a number, which I do not even what it means. So, I eventually chose "1" (I believe) on that list, and Eureka!, something happened, and I finally got my 2015 license number.

Not a pleasant experience, and one I had been fearing all along, reason why I had not upgraded in spite of the fact that I bought my 2015 upgrade about 5 months ago!

The question remains: Why all that complication?

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:40
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
OT: fair or unfair...memoq subscription model Sep 29, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Natalie wrote:
You really don't understand. I have nothing against paying for upgrades and keep doing work. I am against the system when I don't use the tool during 2015 but when I pay in 2016, the payment is taken for the previous year, i.e. for 2015 when I did not use the tool at all, and NOT for the current year for which I am paying. This is what I consider unfair.

Yes, I see what you mean. However, if you paid for the maintenance in 2016 but not in 2015, wouldn't you be receiving the developments and improvements made to memoQ in 2015, and whose development was sustained by the rest of us with our fee in 2015? That would be unfair...

And, you could have potentially used memoQ in 2015, and during 2015 your CV probably included memoQ among the tools you can work with. All in all, I don't think it is unfair to pay the maintenance to keep your tools up-to-date. Maybe it did not pay financially for you in 2015, but that is, as I said before, a business decision.

Tomás, I know you are a huge fan of MemoQ. I also am a fan of paying for tools, I believe professionals should pay for tools and I have spent many thousands of euros over the years on tools that I use more or less frequently. That is fine.

I doubt most people realize before buying the memoq licence that they enter into a subscription model. I did not and was very surprised by it. If they use a certain model, they should be transparent about it. It's probably part of the issue.

They do strive to bring in new features, weather they are useful or improved, it's debatable. I do not like this subscription model, I understand that they have to count on a certain budget for fixed costs, however I would rather pay for the result, i.e. an actual new version of the software. You'd expect a paid tool to have free updates and bug fixes, wouldn't you? Why charge a subscription fee for these? I would much rather pay more every couple of years for a genuine new version that includes new rich and useful features than for what I had to accept in the past as new "versions".

On the other hand, yes, you can opt out of this subscription fee and simply rely on agencies to provide you a license. I keep paying for my subscription annually, while others get theirs for free from agencies and are also able to possibly charge lower rates... How is that fair to me?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That is unfair... Sep 29, 2016

Cristiana Coblis wrote:
On the other hand, yes, you can opt out of this subscription fee and simply rely on agencies to provide you a license. I keep paying for my subscription annually, while others get theirs for free from agencies and are also able to possibly charge lower rates... How is that fair to me?

Yes, this is kind of unfair. It all depends, I reckon: maybe translators who get a borrowed memoQ license during the job are being paid less than what you get for your work for other agencies that do not supply the software. It is a crazy market out there!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:40
English to Italian
Agree Sep 29, 2016

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

I doubt most people realize before buying the memoq licence that they enter into a subscription model. I did not and was very surprised by it. If they use a certain model, they should be transparent about it. It's probably part of the issue.

They do strive to bring in new features, weather they are useful or improved, it's debatable. I do not like this subscription model, I understand that they have to count on a certain budget for fixed costs, however I would rather pay for the result, i.e. an actual new version of the software. You'd expect a paid tool to have free updates and bug fixes, wouldn't you? Why charge a subscription fee for these? I would much rather pay more every couple of years for a genuine new version that includes new rich and useful features than for what I had to accept in the past as new "versions".

Definitely agree with the above, however, to be fair, what happens with Studio is not so hugely different from a practical point of view, if you think about it... They release "new versions" with more or less "rich and useful features" quite regularly, and you are usually given the option to pre-order an "upgrade" (forfeiting your old license) at a reduced price, or buy it later at a much higher one (e.g. €155 vs €405), and if you want to "upgrade" from, say, 2011 to 2017, you have to pass through all the intermediate steps anyway...

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:40
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
The difference Sep 29, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

Definitely agree with the above, however, to be fair, what happens with Studio is not so hugely different from a practical point of view, if you think about it... They release "new versions" with more or less "rich and useful features" quite regularly, and you are usually given the option to pre-order an "upgrade" (forfeiting your old license) at a reduced price, or buy it later at a much higher one (e.g. €155 vs €405), and if you want to "upgrade" from, say, 2011 to 2017, you have to pass through all the intermediate steps anyway...

For me the difference is the level of transparency. Some people have commented they feel trapped by this subscription for a "permanent license" that is not really permanent. It's not difficult to see why. When you are sold a "permanent licence" you would expect to have some use for it in a year, but their subscription model forces them to produce yearly "versions".

It just seems to me that if a company truly believes in their own software and they believe they have a good solid version every year, not just a minor update, then it should be good enough to convince me to invest in it without the subscription. Otherwise, just stick to the subscription model to use the software and stop charging people for "permanent licences". Particularly when it's not that difficult to get a free license to use it on a project anyway.

Many people commented the new iPhone is the most skip-able in history. That is fine, people should at least have the illusion that they can skip that version if they don't find it useful or innovative enough.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The always annoying Trados upgrading process

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »