Claudia Cherici
Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:38
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 21, 2016

Hi everybody, I am currently using Studio 2014 SP2, sometimes when clients send exported TMs as .tmx files and I need to import them into my own TMs, I follow the correct importing procedure but nothing happens: I do not get any error message, but my TM is not updated. This doesn't happen every time, only with some TMs. What am I doing wrong? Are there some settings I should change and where? Thanks for any help!

fs.
fs.
English to Italian
+ ...
Language combination? Oct 21, 2016

Hi Claudia,

Are you sure the language combination of the TM you are trying to import is identical to the one of your own TM? For example, in case your TM is EN(UK)>IT and the one you receive is EN(US)>IT I am not sure the import works in Studio 2014.

Have you tried creating a new TM from the export you receive from the client? Just go to the Translation Memories menu and open the .tmx file. Studio will convert it into .sdltm format. In this way you will be able to check
... See more
Hi Claudia,

Are you sure the language combination of the TM you are trying to import is identical to the one of your own TM? For example, in case your TM is EN(UK)>IT and the one you receive is EN(US)>IT I am not sure the import works in Studio 2014.

Have you tried creating a new TM from the export you receive from the client? Just go to the Translation Memories menu and open the .tmx file. Studio will convert it into .sdltm format. In this way you will be able to check if the .tmx file has some issues (i.e. cannot be converted into Studio-compatible format) and its language combination.

In case the .tmx file is corrupted or similar, the only solution is to ask the client for a new export... while in case of a different language combination there should be some workaround!
And finally, in case the .tmx is fine and so is the language combination... well, I actually don't have a solution at the moment! But if this is the case just let me know and I'll think of something
Collapse

Claudia Cherici
Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 21, 2016

Thank you Fedes
the tmx file is not corrupt because I can import it into an empty TM and create a brand new TM
I actually never thought of the US EN hypothesis...not very likely but I guess it could be, since these 'problem' files come from customers and are not my own
Thanks for your tip, I'll look into it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014, can't import tmx files into some TMs

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »