Using two versions of Studio on the same computer - is this possible?
Thread poster: Simone Duver (X)
Simone Duver (X)
Simone Duver (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:08
French to German
Oct 25, 2016

Dear colleagues,

I would like to know if it is possible to use two different versions of Trados Studio on the same computer.

I still work on Studio 2009 (yes, I’m a real “dinosaur”) and I’m thinking about buying the 2015 version. I’ve heard that there are many changes between the two versions, so I would like to continue working with the old version since I’ve learnt to use the new one correctl
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I would like to know if it is possible to use two different versions of Trados Studio on the same computer.

I still work on Studio 2009 (yes, I’m a real “dinosaur”) and I’m thinking about buying the 2015 version. I’ve heard that there are many changes between the two versions, so I would like to continue working with the old version since I’ve learnt to use the new one correctly. Otherwise, I fear to loose too much time when I must search the functions while translating.

As I must buy a new licence, I think that I can keep the old one. But can I install the two versions at the same time without conflict in my system? For information, I use Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for your answer!

- Simone -
Collapse

Paulo Eduardo -  Pro Knowledge
Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:08
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Why? Oct 25, 2016

Upgrade the 2009 to 2015, use two instances of 2015. No need for another license.

[Edited at 2016-10-25 22:37 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What? Oct 26, 2016

Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge wrote:

Upgrade the 2009 to 2015, use two instances of 2015. No need for another license.

[Edited at 2016-10-25 22:37 GMT]

What is "two instances of 2015"?

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano
Harry Blake Paz Bonzano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
2017 is coming Oct 26, 2016

Just wait until November and you can buy the 2017 version.
As for the two instances, open 2 times the software but there are apps that allow you to migrate your previous versions to the newer ones.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Possible yes, but does not make much sense ... Oct 26, 2016

Simone

You can install Studio 2015 in addition to Studio 2009 and use both versions without problems.

On the other hand, your argument to still use 2009 because you fear that you would lose a lot of time to find the functions in the new Studio 2015 (ribbon vs. menus) dos not make much sense to me. The fastest way to get used to the new ribbon in Studio 2015 is to use it frequently, after two or 3 days you will usually be familiar with it. If you keep working with Studi
... See more
Simone

You can install Studio 2015 in addition to Studio 2009 and use both versions without problems.

On the other hand, your argument to still use 2009 because you fear that you would lose a lot of time to find the functions in the new Studio 2015 (ribbon vs. menus) dos not make much sense to me. The fastest way to get used to the new ribbon in Studio 2015 is to use it frequently, after two or 3 days you will usually be familiar with it. If you keep working with Studio 2009, you will never get familiar with the new ribbon of Studio 2015.

As SDL des not offer any upgrade from Studio 2009 anymore, you'll have to buy a new license. I guess you are aware that if you buy Studio 2015 now, you will receive Studio 2017 for free when it comes out (expected soon). Instead of having to do two installs in short time (2015 and then 2017), you may as well wait for 2017 and keep using Studio 2009 for the next two or three weeks.

Walter
Collapse

Simone Duver (X)
Simone Duver (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2015 in promotion Oct 26, 2016

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for your answers!

If I buy Studio 2015 now, there is a promotional price (half of the official price!), I will get a look on the website but I fear that if I wait for Studio 2017 I'll have to pay the full price! Yes, I know that the upgrade to 2017 will be free, a client told me that yesterday.

No upgrading possible from Studio 2009 to 2015, I'll have to buy anot
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Thank you for your answers!

If I buy Studio 2015 now, there is a promotional price (half of the official price!), I will get a look on the website but I fear that if I wait for Studio 2017 I'll have to pay the full price! Yes, I know that the upgrade to 2017 will be free, a client told me that yesterday.

No upgrading possible from Studio 2009 to 2015, I'll have to buy another licence.

If I would like to keep 2009 just a little time, it's mainly for the urgent translations. When I must quickly finish the translation I don't want to have extra stress by searching every function. When I "upgraded" my Office Pack I spent more time with searching and being annoyed about not being able to do correctly my work. So I prefer discover quietly the new version by testing and by using it for translations that are not urgent. I would therefore avoid some conflicts on my computer. I won’t run the two versions at the same time.

- Simone -
Collapse

Sandrine Zérouali
Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 21:08
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Answers Oct 26, 2016

Dear Simone,

I used to work on Studio 2011 till August. Then SDL offer buying Studio 2015 and have 2017 free (I don't know if it is the same offer you plan to buy). I pay around 200 euros for the upgrade. Actually, I have a problem with an update of Studio 2015 and I came back to work on Studio 2011. You can use both on the same computer. But a person of SDL told me that it is possible only for a while as I bought an upgrade and not 2 différents licenses. As for the difference bet
... See more
Dear Simone,

I used to work on Studio 2011 till August. Then SDL offer buying Studio 2015 and have 2017 free (I don't know if it is the same offer you plan to buy). I pay around 200 euros for the upgrade. Actually, I have a problem with an update of Studio 2015 and I came back to work on Studio 2011. You can use both on the same computer. But a person of SDL told me that it is possible only for a while as I bought an upgrade and not 2 différents licenses. As for the difference between 2009 and 2015 and don't think there are a lot. Studio 2015 is better than 2011 for me (interface better, buttons and others).

I hope it helps you.

Have a nice day!

Sandrine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using two versions of Studio on the same computer - is this possible?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »