Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:15
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Oct 26, 2016

Can someone please suggest to me how to specify for Studio 2015 where I want the project folder to be when I import a package? I can move the project after it has been imported, but I cannot specify the folder during import.

The result is that the project is placed in the same folder as the previous project I have worked on, which upsets my folder structure for my clients.

Roy

fs.
fs.
English to Italian
+ ...
Screenshot? Oct 26, 2016

Hi Roy,

That sounds new to me, as I always get the chance to specify the project folder.

Can you post a screenshot of the window you get when importing a package? In this way I'll be able to check if there are any differences with what I usually see on my computer.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screenshot Oct 26, 2016

Skjermbilde

As I hope the screenshot shows, the Next button is greyed out (inactive) and I can only choose Finish.

Roy

fs.
fs.
English to Italian
+ ...
I get a different window... Oct 27, 2016

The "next" button is grayed out on my Trados too, but the screenshot I get by double-clicking on a package is quite different:

Cattura

I have removed the Client's name for the sake of privacy. Anyway, as you can see, I get the "Project folder" option towards the middle of the window.

I have never seen a window like the one you get, actually. My version is SDL Trados Studio 2015 SR2 - 12.2.5195.7
Is it possible that you are running an older version? In that case an update could fix the issue...

[Edited at 2016-10-27 06:24 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Definitely something wrong here Oct 27, 2016

I believe I used to receive the same dialog box as you not that long ago, but the last month or so it seems the import wizard skips to the last dialog box, so that I can no longer choose the placement of the project. I have tried to uninstall Studio, clean the registry and then reinstall it from scratch, but to no avail.

If there is somewhere I can change the setting so that I am asked where to, it would be very nice. The way it currently is is not optimal.

The analysis
... See more
I believe I used to receive the same dialog box as you not that long ago, but the last month or so it seems the import wizard skips to the last dialog box, so that I can no longer choose the placement of the project. I have tried to uninstall Studio, clean the registry and then reinstall it from scratch, but to no avail.

If there is somewhere I can change the setting so that I am asked where to, it would be very nice. The way it currently is is not optimal.

The analysis given in the window is totally off too, of course.

[Edited at 2016-10-27 07:09 GMT]
Collapse

John Taylor
John Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
German to English
+ ...
Linked to other project? Oct 27, 2016

This looks to me like it is linked to an existing project in Studio.
Annoyingly, some clients send me packages that get added to an existing project already - then you can't change the folder except by removing the existing project.
This might also explain why the analysis is off.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Happens with new projects also Oct 27, 2016

If the package was linked to an old project, I would have understood it, but the package is invariably imported into the folder of my last project, regardless if it's for the same agency or not. There must be some hidden setting somewhere in my installation which has gone haywire on my system. I tried to clean the windows registry (ccleaner) before the latest reinstallation, but it didn't help.

Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Screen resolution Oct 27, 2016

I believe this has to do with the screen resolution. If you are able to adjust it, I'm pretty sure it will look normal again. Your window seems to be incomplete as the rest is hidden behind the grey area somewhere. You can see the border at the bottom (between the white area and the grey area) is different from the border at the top. Hence, the rest is hidden.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You found the problem! Oct 28, 2016

Thanks a thousand. That was it. When I resized the window, I got the following:
Skjermbilde

I just didn't consider that the solution was that simple. I appreciate your help very much.

And I think you are right in that it's the resolution that was the cause. Fairly recently I purchased a 4K monitor (3840 x 2160), and I've seen that Studio doesn't handle that very well, regretably, but I never realised that it would also influence the import window for packages so that I had to resize them.

Roy

[Edited at 2016-10-28 06:30 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Had the same experience Oct 28, 2016

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I just didn't consider that the solution was that simple. I appreciate your help very much.

Roy

Had the same puzzling experience once.

Perhaps SDL can add a downwards pointing arrow to the dialogue, to indicate that it can be unfolded?

It'd be also nice if Studio 17 would fix all resolution-related issues, especially the tiny font in the project listing (and related: the interlinear space that's too little).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015: Cannot specify folder when importing a package

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »