Thread poster: Arianne Farah
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:41
English
Getting more technical details... Nov 17, 2016

Hi,

I'd like to suggest that if you want to engage with the developers and product management teams for any of these features that you post your questions into the SDL Community. Kevin is not the only person involved here, but he and others are quite willing to help answer any questions to help you understand the technology behind this in more detail if you wish.

So post your questions into here:

SDL Community

You already have a log in as it's the same as the one you use for your licenses.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Adaptive MT Polish to English? Nov 17, 2016

Hi Paul,

Will it work? I mean, must both languages be supported for adaptive MT to work?

Best,

Piotr

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I'm afraid so. Nov 17, 2016

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Hi Paul,

Will it work? I mean, must both languages be supported for adaptive MT to work?

Best,

Piotr

Sorry for replying to the question to Paul, but...
Polish-English and English-Polish language pair may be supported in the future. Unfortunately, we don't know when (I'm afraid it may be the matter of several months, though).
Now, when you select Language Cloud MT in your project, the AdaptiveMT settings button is greyed out.

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:41
Member (2008)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
The end is nigh! Nov 17, 2016

After watching a short webinar this morning, I re-loaded my project using FrFr as the target language (FrCa seemingly not supported), loaded my TM using any-TM, and created an adaptive engine in Language Cloud.... shoot me now because I must be delirious; I'm loving it. I never thought I'd see the day - integrating my glossaries & my changes into the engine makes all the difference, especially for repetitive, technical texts where terminology is essential (for example the first time I encountere... See more
After watching a short webinar this morning, I re-loaded my project using FrFr as the target language (FrCa seemingly not supported), loaded my TM using any-TM, and created an adaptive engine in Language Cloud.... shoot me now because I must be delirious; I'm loving it. I never thought I'd see the day - integrating my glossaries & my changes into the engine makes all the difference, especially for repetitive, technical texts where terminology is essential (for example the first time I encountered 'fleet', the MT gave me 'flotte' in French - flotte is used mainly for boats or planes in French, if you're talking about a fleet of cars or machines, you want 'parc' - I corrected it once, added the term to the glossary, and never had to correct it again). I have long lists that all have the same sentence structure "Document the XXX" (as in document the verb, not the noun) - of course first time MT gave me the noun translation, I corrected it and now it invariably gives me the correct verb when the sentence starts that way.

The only thing is that, even though in my settings I didn't select 'Look up segments in MT even if a TM match has been found' it did anyways So every time I opened a segment to change a word or correct a typo, or even just ran the memory through the file, it queried the MT engine - I blew through 100,000 characters of the 400,000 allotted in under 3 hours. Which means I'm going to have to remember to deactivate the MT whenever I edit or I'm going to need over 5,000,000 characters a month. (why, oh why is the MT queried when I open a translated segment!)
Collapse

Gene Oh (X)
Gene Oh (X)  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 02:41
English to Korean
Million thanks! You are my star! It works. You have saved a lot of my time. Nov 18, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Gene Oh wrote:

I have upgraded my SDL Studio 2015 to 2017. Since then, MyMemory Plug-in has disappeared. Is there anyway to use MyMemory in SDL Studio 2017?

Copy the contents of:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\12\Plugins\Packages

to

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14\Plugins\Packages

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Glad I could help Nov 18, 2016

Gene Oh wrote:

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Gene Oh wrote:

I have upgraded my SDL Studio 2015 to 2017. Since then, MyMemory Plug-in has disappeared. Is there anyway to use MyMemory in SDL Studio 2017?

Copy the contents of:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\12\Plugins\Packages

to

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14\Plugins\Packages

Thanks. Most plugins will work when installed in this way. But the majority are located in "Roaming" folder rather than "Local". MyMemory is one of the few exceptions.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
In Roaming... Nov 18, 2016

Thank you Wojciech Matyszkiewicz, that has helped me enormously.

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:41
English to Arabic
The end is nigh! Nov 18, 2016

Hi Ariane,

Your post got me thinking what could have happened in this case as Look up is by default not enabled

Look UP

Can you check the settings as per above and let me know if this is then resolved.

Kr

SDL_Steve

Sarau M
Sarau M
Local time: 17:41
For Arianne Nov 18, 2016

Hi Arianne,

Another thing you could check is whether SDL LCMT is first in the list of your providers. If this is the case, Studio will take that order into consideration and will search in your MT provider first, even though the option 'Look up segments in MT even if a TM match has been found' is not enabled. Please make sure you move SDL LC last in the providers list or after your local TMs and you should not receive results from MT anymore.

I hope this helps.
... See more
Hi Arianne,

Another thing you could check is whether SDL LCMT is first in the list of your providers. If this is the case, Studio will take that order into consideration and will search in your MT provider first, even though the option 'Look up segments in MT even if a TM match has been found' is not enabled. Please make sure you move SDL LC last in the providers list or after your local TMs and you should not receive results from MT anymore.

I hope this helps.

Maria,
SDL QA Engineer
Collapse

Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Adaptive MT Nov 18, 2016

Dear SDL team,

I thought this AdaptiveMT Technology was included in 2017 license, or is it?

It says my "subscription has expired" (because I have activated CloudTM once upon a time and never used it really)..

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
A matter of small print really Nov 18, 2016

Tomi Dobaj wrote:

Dear SDL team,

I thought this AdaptiveMT Technology was included in 2017 license, or is it?

It says my "subscription has expired" (because I have activated CloudTM once upon a time and never used it really)..

Sorry to inform you, but AdaptiveMT is only available for several language pairs and only with English as the source language. Other languages will be added later, not sure when, I believe it may be a matter of a few months, perhaps a year...

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
List of solved bugs? Nov 18, 2016

Dear all,

Is there a list of solved bugs somewhere?

For example: Has the dyscalculia been cured (i.e.: is Studio able to correctly show a document with no untranslated/unchecked segments left as 100% complete, instead of the usual 99 or 98%, without the need to run several batch tasks that - sometimes - help?)

Regards,
Erik

[Edited at 2016-11-18 15:08 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
No idea Nov 18, 2016

Erik Freitag wrote:

Dear all,

Is there a list of solved bugs somewhere?

For example: Has the dyscalculia been cured (i.e.: is Studio able to correctly show a document with no untranslated/unchecked segments left as 100% complete, instead of the usual 99 or 98%, without the need to run several batch tasks that - sometimes - help?)

Regards,
Erik

[Edited at 2016-11-18 15:08 GMT]

I haven't yet experienced the one you mention.
But since, you've mentioned bugs, then unfortunately, when you add a new file to an existing project, you still can't open any file afterwards. You need to open a different project and then go back to the one you want to translate to be able to open files. Quite annoying.

[Edited at 2016-11-18 15:13 GMT]

Arianne Farah
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 18, 2016

Sarau M wrote:

Hi Arianne,

I hope this helps.

Maria,
SDL QA Engineer

Hi Maria - this fixed it (it wasn't the first, but it was higher than the active TM) - I hadn't realized order had an effect (I usually use penalties when I want to give a TM precedence over another).

Arianne Farah
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to email question Nov 21, 2016

Someone sent me a question, but since they're not registered, I have no way to respond, but it's pertinent & I don't mind answering

I'm using the free membership for language cloud which allows you to have 1 adaptive engine - I've been trying it out in the scope of a very large, very technical, very dry project in one of my specializations. I did 2/3 of a document the usual way and 1/3 with the adaptive MT - I saw a n
... See more
Someone sent me a question, but since they're not registered, I have no way to respond, but it's pertinent & I don't mind answering

I'm using the free membership for language cloud which allows you to have 1 adaptive engine - I've been trying it out in the scope of a very large, very technical, very dry project in one of my specializations. I did 2/3 of a document the usual way and 1/3 with the adaptive MT - I saw a notable speed gain (if I were to quantify, I'd say 10-15%) - which is great, but not the most important thing. What sold it for me was that when I reviewed my translation the next day, I was just as happy with both parts of the project and saw no break in style. Now of course, I've been using it in optimal conditions - short, simple sentences with very specific terminology, over and over again, and not a figurative sentence in the lot - out of perhaps 2000 MT-translated strings, all but two needed corrections, but it really saved me a lot of typing time (and I'm a fast typist).

I've looked at the paid subscriptions, but I think that their pricing models aren't well thought out - for example, if you were were to sign up 3 times for the basic model, you'd get more and pay less than if you signed up for the advanced model; ditto if you sign up twice to the advanced compared to the expert; even adding an extra million characters is cheaper in the lower tiers, so it's a use more/pay exponentially more scheme. I would like the possibility to add more adaptive engines à la carte and for the pricing to encourage up-selling, rather than discourage it.

So in short - the free membership is more than good enough to get your bearings - because of the way MT works however I would recommend you restrict it to a single client or a single field and not use it for everything (the expression Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2017 First impressions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »