Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:53
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2017

Hi folks,
In Studio 2017 is there a keyboard shortcut for selecting Fragment Match 1, 2 or 3?
I can select TM Match 1, 2 or 3 using Crtl+1, 2 or 3 but this only seems to work for TM matches.
I can apply the currently selected fragment match using Crtl+Alt+M, but I can't seem to select one fragment match or the other unless I click on it with the mouse.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Jo

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
There should be no need for that, because... Jan 18, 2017

...because you just type the first letters of the translation and AutoSuggest will propose you the entire expression, so no need for any shortcut. This is what the fragment match does: it sends everything it finds to Autosuggest.

But if there is a shortcut then check the keyboard command options: maybe there is such one which is empty and you have to define it.

Mike

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Autosuggest Jan 18, 2017

Thanks Mike,
It looks like Autosuggest includes the fragment match in the T9 menu if there's just one fragment match, otherwise the fragment matches aren't included in the Autosuggest menu. In other words if there are two or more fragment matches I don't get the Autosuggest menu and I have to click on them to use them.

I've looked through the keyboard shortcut options and couldn't find anything to quickly select one or other of the fragment matches.

Also in genera
... See more
Thanks Mike,
It looks like Autosuggest includes the fragment match in the T9 menu if there's just one fragment match, otherwise the fragment matches aren't included in the Autosuggest menu. In other words if there are two or more fragment matches I don't get the Autosuggest menu and I have to click on them to use them.

I've looked through the keyboard shortcut options and couldn't find anything to quickly select one or other of the fragment matches.

Also in general I'd say I'm getting a lot less Autosuggest matches now I'm using 2017 compared to 2015. I have everything checked, Termbase, TM, Autosuggest dictionaries, Autotext and Fragment matches. I think the only addition compared to to what I was using in 2015 is the fragment match.

Another strange thing that's happening is that sometimes I get an Autosuggest T9 menu when I type the first and second letter and then the suggestion is hidden if I type the third, fourth, etc. letter of a word so I'll miss many suggestions. At other times the suggestion is still shown as I type more letters of the word. I know it will be hidden if I type a wrong letter, but in some cases it's hidden even if the letters are right, in others not so though. I've tried changing the "Show suggestion window when there are ... or fewer suggestions" from 3 to 5 and changing the "Show suggestions with ... characters" from 3 to 5 and it makes no difference, I still only get suggestions when typing the first one or two letters, after that they're hidden as soon as I type the third letter. I don't have "Hide suggestions that have already been used" or "Case sensitive" checked, so I don't know what's going on there.
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
I still must find out how the new feature of fragment matches exactly works Jan 19, 2017

I think using the Autosuggest dictionaries together with the new fragment recall features will give weird results, because the new features are meant to replace the dictionaries.
Currently, there are a lot of options to set in different menus in order to make all work as you desire, and it's not easy and obvious at a first glance.

What do you mean by 'T9 menu'?

Very important are these options:

You must go through the complex procedure of upgrading al
... See more
I think using the Autosuggest dictionaries together with the new fragment recall features will give weird results, because the new features are meant to replace the dictionaries.
Currently, there are a lot of options to set in different menus in order to make all work as you desire, and it's not easy and obvious at a first glance.

What do you mean by 'T9 menu'?

Very important are these options:

You must go through the complex procedure of upgrading all your TMs correctly to have the fragment matches enabled in the search, at least 5000 TU units AFAIK;
Project Options (or File > Options) > Translation Memory > Search: This will control how many words in a row will be presented in the fragment matches, the fuzzy match setting above should not have any influence, but I don't know yet, I must find out.

If you feel that Autosuggest doesn't show you everything, then check the options in
File > Options > Autosuggest
Especially make sure that all checkboxes below are enabled. I would leave 'show longest matches first' enabled.

The tests I have done to find out how all that works show that not everything will be shown in the Fragment Matches: Studio is making a real-time extraction and Alignment to 'guess' the right translation for a fragment. For that, the fragment must be present at least 3 times in the TM (that's my guess of how it works), so that a statistical analysis can point out the fragment together with its translation. This is a downside in my opinion, I would rather prefer that Studio gives me ALL the possible fragments but simply with the context and without the translation, so I can chose (or see) the translation on my own. This procedure would be that much faster, it would not need any real-time alignment. Also the idea behind that only what happnes x time in the TM is really important is not a good basic assumption: If I'm looking for an expression it means it IS important, and I don't care how many times it's in the TM, so this system will miss a lot, it will always miss cases where an expression is only 2 or 1 time in the TM...And then: in all cases where the alignment is unsuccessful it will skip presenting the expression also.
AFAIK, what they have done is: They have taken the system to build an Autosuggest Dictionary and made the steps visible for the translator presenting him the results in the Editor (and in the Autosuggest). A good step forward but if it's not showing everything then it's still incomplete and subject to improvement.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-19 15:16 GMT]
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dictionaries or fragment matches Jan 19, 2017

Hi Mike,
By 'T9' I mean the pop-up/drop-down (whatever) Autosuggest menu you get while typing, a bit like the T9 (predictive text) function on a smartphone.

Yep, when I switched to 2017 I upgraded all my TMs, didn't take too long actually.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this: Project Options (or File > Options) > Translation Memory > Search: This will control how many words in a row will be presented in the fragment matches, the fuzzy match setting above should
... See more
Hi Mike,
By 'T9' I mean the pop-up/drop-down (whatever) Autosuggest menu you get while typing, a bit like the T9 (predictive text) function on a smartphone.

Yep, when I switched to 2017 I upgraded all my TMs, didn't take too long actually.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this: Project Options (or File > Options) > Translation Memory > Search: This will control how many words in a row will be presented in the fragment matches, the fuzzy match setting above should not have any influence, but I don't know yet, I must find out.
You mean Minimum words for a match? I have this set to 2 Whole TU and 3 TU fragment (checked)
Minimum significant words in a match is also set to 2 Whole TU and 3 TU fragment

I'm also getting the impression Fragment matches are kind of interfering with Termbase and TM matches, looks like sometimes one is shown or the other, sometimes both, sometimes the suggestion is hidden if I type more than 2 letters..........I dunno.
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Try this... Jan 19, 2017

Jo Macdonald wrote:

You mean Minimum words for a match? I have this set to 2 Whole TU and 3 TU fragment (checked)
Minimum significant words in a match is also set to 2 Whole TU and 3 TU fragment

Set it to 2-1, 2-1. This should return any non-trivial 2-word expressions and more, so you will get more expressions returned than your 2-3, 2-3 (here you get a minimum of 3 words in a row) but be warned that the computation time will be longer with big TMs.

I'm also getting the impression Fragment matches are kind of interfering with Termbase and TM matches, looks like sometimes one is shown or the other, sometimes both, sometimes the suggestion is hidden if I type more than 2 letters..........I dunno.

Yes, still there will be fragment matches even if you have the equivalents in your termbases, this should not happen. Also: the fragment list is badly organized, I would like to see the expressions in their chronological order which is not the case, this makes looking in the list rather tedious.

As for the 'T9 menu': You can see what comes from the Autosuggest dictionaries by seeing a golden icon at the start of the expression. Other entries come from elsewhere, from termbases, autotext or fragment matches.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-19 16:07 GMT]

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
I forgot an important point... Jan 20, 2017

With the current Studio 2017 version, if you use a Project TM, then the fragment matches will not work as intended. You must 'Prepare without Project TM' when you create a project. This also means that the TM you chose will be directly updated, unless you untick the 'Update' checkbox. This must be fixed in future updates.

Mike

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New settings Jan 20, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

Set it to 2-1, 2-1. This should return any non-trivial 2-word expressions and more, so you will get more expressions returned than your 2-3, 2-3 (here you get a minimum of 3 words in a row) but be warned that the computation time will be longer with big TMs.

I'll try that, thanks Mike.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Select Fragment Match 1, 2 or 3 keyboard shortcut

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »