How can I use sdltb files I used for TM in 2014 for projects in the new 2017?
Thread poster: Peter Simon
Peter Simon
Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2017

Please help me with this. I've just upgraded to Studio 2017 and suddenly the Translation Memory settings don't accept the sdltb files I created earlier with the Glossary Converter (and used in 2014). How can I activate them or turn them into acceptable sdltm files? Urgent ... Thanks for any help. Best regards, Peter S.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:28
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDLTB is not SDLTM Mar 29, 2017

Peter Simon wrote:

Please help me with this. I've just upgraded to Studio 2017 and suddenly the Translation Memory settings don't accept the sdltb files I created earlier with the Glossary Converter (and used in 2014). How can I activate them or turn them into acceptable sdltm files? Urgent ... Thanks for any help. Best regards, Peter S.

I don't understand how you use TM settings for Termbases.... You might be confusing some things. Can you describe more specifically what you are doing?
As for termbases, you might have to reorganize them.

Peter Simon
Netherlands
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Liane, Mar 29, 2017

Yes, I may be confusing things, but while I had a lot of things appearing in the TM section of Project Settings, I can only find a couple. Do you think I simply stored them at a different place and I don't remember where?

Peter Simon
Netherlands
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, Mar 29, 2017

my fault - I didn't realize they were stored in a separate Studio 2014/translation memories folder ... So I guess I only have to move/copy them over ... hope it'll work.

It did, thanks for the Q that pushed me in the right direction.

[Edited at 2017-03-29 14:33 GMT]

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
New installation Mar 29, 2017

Peter Simon wrote:

Yes, I may be confusing things, but while I had a lot of things appearing in the TM section of Project Settings, I can only find a couple. Do you think I simply stored them at a different place and I don't remember where?

If you just installed 2017, you have to set up everything (default projects, termbases etc) from scratch and you also need to upgrade your tm's to make use of its new features.
Read this blog to get up to speed with it as soon as possible: https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/11/24/studio-2017-new-features/

I do not use Studio's default settings for projects, termbases and translation memories. I created my own folders for these so I always know where they are. In 2017 you select "create" or "use" for termbases and memories, where create means "create new" and use means "use existing."

I hope this helps you get started.

Peter Simon
Netherlands
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Lianne, Mar 29, 2017

yes, I needed your help and I find the link also useful as I'm new to this version without experience with 2015. Also, my Trados is on a Mac Parallels, so there are lots of ways to lose track of what it where, this has caused me the problem. I reopened 2014 and there I could see where the earlier TMs came from and simply relocated them for convenience so that I can later get rid of 2014 (although not necessarily, who knows). Thanks again!

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Backups Mar 29, 2017

Peter Simon wrote:

yes, I needed your help and I find the link also useful as I'm new to this version without experience with 2015. Also, my Trados is on a Mac Parallels, so there are lots of ways to lose track of what it where, this has caused me the problem. I reopened 2014 and there I could see where the earlier TMs came from and simply relocated them for convenience so that I can later get rid of 2014 (although not necessarily, who knows). Thanks again!

Don't forget to check out Emma Goldsmith's other blog posts on 2017. They are all equally helpful.

I have 2017 on Windows but also on my MPB using Virtualbox and have not figured out how to manage files in a logical way. Once expanded (HD/SSD, Ram, new battery), I want to install parallels and hope that works smoothly, everything being backed up by Dropbox - I hope not to have to work with duplicate files.

As for migration to 2017, I did make copies of my termbases and tm's before upgrading, just to have a backup and a version that is still compatible with 2015.

Best of luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I use sdltb files I used for TM in 2014 for projects in the new 2017?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »