Jerzy Ozana  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:17
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2008

Hello,

I've been using SDLX for some time and today all of a sudden I'm getting an error message while trying to start the application: 'Runtime error - Program .....\...\SDL International\SDLX\S42SFW.EXE'; The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way....'

Has anyone experienced the same problem and can suggest a workaround?

Will be grateful for any help or hint.

Jerzy

Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Rossa Ó Muireartaigh  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:17
Member (2004)
Japanese to English
Number of causes, a few solutions Jan 16, 2008

Hi Jerzy,

According to SDLX's own advanced course, a 'runtime error' has a number of possible causes:
- Not having sufficient rights to use the PC, (probably not the case in your situation)
- File extension is misleading, e.g. .RTF or .XLS file may not be Word or Excel file: Try opening file in notepad. If the message displayed is incoherent they are not the files they say they are.
- File may have become corrupted: To check this try opening the file in the origin
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

According to SDLX's own advanced course, a 'runtime error' has a number of possible causes:
- Not having sufficient rights to use the PC, (probably not the case in your situation)
- File extension is misleading, e.g. .RTF or .XLS file may not be Word or Excel file: Try opening file in notepad. If the message displayed is incoherent they are not the files they say they are.
- File may have become corrupted: To check this try opening the file in the original format.
- If the original file is MS Word, open it and save it as RTF file
- If your files were Zipped, unZip them.

I hope this helps.

Rossa
Collapse

Jerzy Ozana
Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translator's Workbench seems to be affected, too... Jan 16, 2008

Hi Rossa,

Thank you for the hints. I've just discovered that this is probably some major problem with the whole Trados package as the Workbench application won't start either. It displays a dialogue box saying: "An error occurred while trying to verify the license. Please check the installation and try again. Translator's Workbench Freelance will now close."

The funny thing is that the License Manager says everything is perfectly fine and displays my proper ID number.... See more
Hi Rossa,

Thank you for the hints. I've just discovered that this is probably some major problem with the whole Trados package as the Workbench application won't start either. It displays a dialogue box saying: "An error occurred while trying to verify the license. Please check the installation and try again. Translator's Workbench Freelance will now close."

The funny thing is that the License Manager says everything is perfectly fine and displays my proper ID number.

I even tried a quick uninstall and reinstall but it keeps showing the same error messages... I'm pressed for time with a few projects and here, out of the blue, this kind of issue pops up....

Jerzy
Collapse

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
English to French
Same problem Apr 14, 2014

Hello,

Did you manage to find a solution to your problem, I have exactly the same.

Thanks!

Nathalie

Jerzy Ozana
Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps Visual C++ Runtime Library reinstall will help Apr 15, 2014

Hello Nathalie,

I am afraid I cannot help... It was such a long time ago that I cannot recall what kind of workaround actually worked in my case.

The error "Runtime error - Program .....\...\SDL International\SDLX\S42SFW.EXE'; The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" looks to be caused by Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, so perhaps repairing or upgrading Microsoft Visual C++ will help fix the problem? (that's my guess only)
... See more
Hello Nathalie,

I am afraid I cannot help... It was such a long time ago that I cannot recall what kind of workaround actually worked in my case.

The error "Runtime error - Program .....\...\SDL International\SDLX\S42SFW.EXE'; The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" looks to be caused by Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, so perhaps repairing or upgrading Microsoft Visual C++ will help fix the problem? (that's my guess only)

Jerzy
Collapse

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
English to French
Thanks Apr 15, 2014

Hi Jerzy,

A tech from SDL support took control of my PC for 2 hrs this morning and didn't manage to solve the issue. He has research to do as "MS is not very helpful". He will contact me tomorrow. I lost a 2 weeks project...
I dislike SDL tools.

Thank you for your kind answer!

Nathalie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX runtime error

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »