Translation - AutoCAD drawings (.dwg)
Thread poster: Linda Lemieux
Linda Lemieux
Linda Lemieux
Local time: 03:05
English to French
+ ...
Dec 28, 2009

Among other documents, I translate, mostly from english to french, AutoCAD drawings and/or complete set of plans. I have never seen such an offer on this site. I don't understand because the market is huge. Is there a website like ProZ, but for translator's of CAD drawings?

Roberto Bertuol
Roberto Bertuol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:05
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
I'd like to know that as well Dec 29, 2009

I do translate CAD drawings too, but never seen any posting. I guess many companies extract the text to an Excel or csv file to be sent out for translation.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:05
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Translating without AutoCAD? Dec 29, 2009

I also translate AutoCAD French to English. One problem that comes up is translators who use CAD software other than AutoCAD to do the translation. The file saved will cause an "untrusted" warning to pop up every time it is opened in AutoCAD, which alarms the end client. Perhaps that may be why few end clients release drawings for use outside their company?

C.M. Rawal
C.M. Rawal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:35
English to Hindi
+ ...
You need translateCAD tool Dec 29, 2009

I had recently translated a number of maps in AutoCAD files without touching or opening the AutoCAD files. I found a recently launched CAT tool translateCAD. It saved me a lot of time and effort as the source language text got converted to the target language very conveniently.

TranslateCAD® is a shareware tool designed for professional translators that allows you to translate AutoCAD® drawings in DXF format using your favorite CAT tool (Trados, SDLX, Wordfast, DejaVu, MetaTexis,
... See more
I had recently translated a number of maps in AutoCAD files without touching or opening the AutoCAD files. I found a recently launched CAT tool translateCAD. It saved me a lot of time and effort as the source language text got converted to the target language very conveniently.

TranslateCAD® is a shareware tool designed for professional translators that allows you to translate AutoCAD® drawings in DXF format using your favorite CAT tool (Trados, SDLX, Wordfast, DejaVu, MetaTexis, XTM, Felix, Across, CafeTran, etc.). The AutoCAD translation process is made up of 3 individual steps:
1. The software extracts the translatable text from the drawing and creates a very small and manageable Unicode text file. It also creates a second text file which should be left untouched.
2. You may translate this text file using the CAT tool of your preference, taking advantage of all its features like Translation Memory databases, Glossaries, Fuzzy Match, etc.
3. Once your target unilingual text file is complete, TranslateCAD® re-creates a target DXF that can be opened and edited in AutoCAD® again.

I hope you all would find this information helpful and quite useful.
Collapse

Michele Fardini Soares

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 08:05
English to German
+ ...
try..Acrobat 3d Dec 29, 2009

Hi! I find it wonderful to work if you have a .pdf of the the original drawing, which is fully editable.One could remount this translated and edited file into almost any adobe suite variants. Brandis

Greta Bertan (X)
Greta Bertan (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Target file won't change Feb 17, 2011

Hi!
I have just downloaded TranslateCad hping to spare a lot of time in dwg translations.

I still have the demo version which allows 50 words only to be extracted, but it's enough to understand if it works.

All seems to work well 'till the last passage. It recreates the translated .dxf file reporting no error.......but when I open it with Autocad, I cannot find the changes performed. I've checked the translated .rtf file which contains the translation.

... See more
Hi!
I have just downloaded TranslateCad hping to spare a lot of time in dwg translations.

I still have the demo version which allows 50 words only to be extracted, but it's enough to understand if it works.

All seems to work well 'till the last passage. It recreates the translated .dxf file reporting no error.......but when I open it with Autocad, I cannot find the changes performed. I've checked the translated .rtf file which contains the translation.

I guess I'm making something wrong...but am really clueless.

Would anyone help me please?
Collapse

Maragmhoraix
Maragmhoraix
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:05
You still need to open CAD drawings Nov 6, 2011

I translate, mostly from English to French too, AutoCAD drawings and/or complete set of plans too, and I've just come across this thread.

Just a warning for those who'd think they just found the solution:
There are various tools to help you processing CAD drawings (DwgTextTranslator, TranslateCAD... etc.) but to this day, none of them actually allows you to see the drawing itself, which means that, unless you're one of these translators who translate literally and word for wor
... See more
I translate, mostly from English to French too, AutoCAD drawings and/or complete set of plans too, and I've just come across this thread.

There are various tools to help you processing CAD drawings (DwgTextTranslator, TranslateCAD... etc.) but to this day, none of them actually allows you to see the drawing itself, which means that, unless you're one of these translators who translate literally and word for word, you still have to open the drawings to see what the text refers to, or to use some heavy memory PDF copies which take ages to regen.

Pierre
http://pierrefuentes.info/2011/10/10/how-to-translate-cad-drawings-iv-–-using-cat-tools-ii/
Collapse

Somnath Dey
Somnath Dey  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:35
Member (2014)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Unable to open the link Jun 25, 2016

Pierre Fuentes wrote:

There are various tools to help you processing CAD drawings (DwgTextTranslator, TranslateCAD... etc.) but to this day, none of them actually allows you to see the drawing itself, which means that, unless you're one of these translators who translate literally and word for word, you still have to open the drawings to see what the text refers to, or to use some heavy memory PDF copies which take ages to regen.

Pierre
http://pierrefuentes.info/2011/10/10/how-to-translate-cad-drawings-iv-–-using-cat-tools-ii/

Dear Mr. Fuentes,

The link you've referred is not opening. could you please provide a valid link. I think I need to see the full note.

Thank you..

Somnath

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation - AutoCAD drawings (.dwg)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »