Smartphone dictation ... to a PC? Possible?
Thread poster: Vitals
Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 11:18
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2015

Dear all,

For years I was looking for a nice Russian dictation (I mean speech-to-text, speech recognition) software like Dragon for the English. And the best I encountered was the one that built-in on my smartphone Samsung Galaxy S2...

Here is a crazy idea that came to my mind today: Do you think there could be a certain way of dictating on my Galaxy and seeing the same on my Windows PC? I know you can connect the smartphone to the PC to download files, etc. But live d
... See more
Dear all,

For years I was looking for a nice Russian dictation (I mean speech-to-text, speech recognition) software like Dragon for the English. And the best I encountered was the one that built-in on my smartphone Samsung Galaxy S2...

Here is a crazy idea that came to my mind today: Do you think there could be a certain way of dictating on my Galaxy and seeing the same on my Windows PC? I know you can connect the smartphone to the PC to download files, etc. But live dictation...?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Vitaly

[Edited at 2015-06-17 21:01 GMT]
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:18
French to English
+ ...
Not at a "crazy idea" at all Jun 17, 2015

The voice recognition software on your smartphone is really pathetic compared to Dragon (I have a Galaxy S4 and did try out the built-in voice recognition). However, I am fairly sure that Dragon has an app that you can use to record on your smartphone for transfer to your PC. I think it also can provide instant transfer as you dictate, though I've no idea why you would want to use that instead of a headset microphone.

[Edited at 2015-06-17 21:52 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
check out the KnowBrainer forum! Jun 17, 2015

Vitals wrote:

Dear all,

Here is a crazy idea that came to my mind today: Do you think there could be a certain way of dictating on my Galaxy and seeing the same on my Windows PC? I know you can connect the smartphone to the PC to download files, etc. But live dictation...?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Vitaly

[Edited at 2015-06-17 21:01 GMT]

You might want to have a look over on the KnowBrainer forum, where Jim Wardell posted an interesting idea which is related to yours:

http://knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=14&threadid=20508&enterthread=y (post title: "Android app to link Swype (incl. Dragon) for Android to desktop computers")

And if you want to go really deep down the rabbit hole, join the VoiceCoder Yahoo Group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VoiceCoder/info ("Forum for discussing using VR for the purpose of writing computer code, or dictating other complex (i.e. non-prose) documents. Any VR software can be discussed.")

Michael

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
It can be done Jun 17, 2015

I suppose Tasker, AutoVoice and AutoRemote on Android, EventGhost with a bit of Python on the PC side should do the trick...

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Might depend, but could be simple Jun 18, 2015

What you can certainly do with dragon is record a text on an external device, upload it to the computer and let dragon transcribe it (extremely quickly). Two conditions - it needs to be in a format that dragon can cope with - eg. MP3, and the quality of the recording must be reasonably good. You'd have to test both, but it's certainly cheaper, if it works and oyu already have the smartphone, than a dedicated recording device. However, you might find the recording app rather cumbersome if you nee... See more
What you can certainly do with dragon is record a text on an external device, upload it to the computer and let dragon transcribe it (extremely quickly). Two conditions - it needs to be in a format that dragon can cope with - eg. MP3, and the quality of the recording must be reasonably good. You'd have to test both, but it's certainly cheaper, if it works and oyu already have the smartphone, than a dedicated recording device. However, you might find the recording app rather cumbersome if you need to go back, overwrite, listent o what you've said etc.

Whether you can persuade dragon to recognise the smartphone as a normal microphone and have your text transcribed immediately is a different issue, though. I foundthat approach to dictating cumbersome and unsatisfying.
Collapse

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 11:18
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you, please, elaborate on that? Jun 18, 2015

Jabberwock wrote:

I suppose Tasker, AutoVoice and AutoRemote on Android, EventGhost with a bit of Python on the PC side should do the trick...

Dear Jabberwock,

Thank you for your feedback.

Can you, please, elaborate on your short but very rich comment? I am downloading AutoVoice and AutoRemote Lite on my smartphone...

Could you, please, break it down into more detailed steps (of course, with the time you can sacrifice on my need...)?

My mind is much less technical, so I will need this assistance.

I would like to try out your suggestion first.

Thank you very-very much in advance.

Best regards,
Vitaly

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Brief outline Jun 18, 2015

Vitals wrote:
Thank you for your feedback.

Can you, please, elaborate on your short but very rich comment? I am downloading AutoVoice and AutoRemote Lite on my smartphone...

Could you, please, break it down into more detailed steps (of course, with the time you can sacrifice on my need...)?

My mind is much less technical, so I will need this assistance.

I would like to try out your suggestion first.

Thank you very-very much in advance.

Best regards,
Vitaly

I am afraid this might require a bit of technical creativity... In general the procedure would be:

1. Create in Tasker a task that would prompt voice recognition by AutoVoice.

2. Send the recognized text as payload with AutoRemote to EventGhost running on a PC.

3. In EventGhost respond to the AutoRemote message by running a Python script that would convert the event payload into keystrokes. Writing the appropriate script would be the most difficult part, I suppose.

This is not trivial, but certainly possible.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
It works Jul 3, 2015

It works. Of course, it is more a proof of concept than a production tool, but you can take it from here...

1. On a PC:

a. In EventGhost add a plugin for AutoRemote. Configure it accordingly, linking it with the Android device (specific instructions are on the AutoRemote help page). In AutoStart branch add action: Autoremote: registering on [your Android device].

b. Add a macro. Add to it action: Python Script. In configuration write the following code:
... See more
It works. Of course, it is more a proof of concept than a production tool, but you can take it from here...

1. On a PC:

a. In EventGhost add a plugin for AutoRemote. Configure it accordingly, linking it with the Android device (specific instructions are on the AutoRemote help page). In AutoStart branch add action: Autoremote: registering on [your Android device].

b. Add a macro. Add to it action: Python Script. In configuration write the following code:

eg.plugins.Window.SendKeys("{eg.event.payload.arcomm}", False)

2. In Tasker create a task with the following commands:

a. AutoVoice Recognize: Prompt Text what you want, Language whatever you want, other options default.
b. AutoRemote Message: Recipient: the AutoRemote EventGhost device you set up in EventGhost. Message: dictate=:=%avcomm

3. Run the Tasker task - the AutoRemote message should be visible in EventGhost (e.g. AutoRemote.Message.dictate u'dictate=:=test'). Drag that into the macro you have set up.

Now each time you run the task, you get a prompt for dictation on your phone. Speak whatever you want and the text should appear on your PC.

Two things that might improve it:

Setup in EventGhost a macro that would send an AutoRemote message to the phone each time you press a specific key. In Tasker make a profile that would run the dictation task on receiving the message. That way you can prompt the dictation from your PC. Or maybe wait a bit after typing in EG and send the command to run the dictate task again - that way dictation would cycle in a loop until turned off...

Second thing would be to detect specific commands in Tasker or EventGhost (e.g. "confirm the segment") and make EventGhost produce the relevant keyboard shortcuts.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Some modifications Jul 3, 2015

The Python Script given above might be replaced with this one:

ToSend = eg.event.payload.arcomm
ToSend = ToSend.replace(" segment","{Alt+j}")
ToSend = ToSend.replace("tag","{Alt+l}")
ToSend = ToSend.replace(" period",".")
ToSend = ToSend.replace(" comma",",")
ToSend = ToSend.replace(" semicolon",",")
ToSend = ToSend.capitalize()
eg.plugins.Window.SendKeys(ToSend, False)

Naturally, the punctuation commands should be replaced with
... See more
The Python Script given above might be replaced with this one:

ToSend = eg.event.payload.arcomm
ToSend = ToSend.replace(" segment","{Alt+j}")
ToSend = ToSend.replace("tag","{Alt+l}")
ToSend = ToSend.replace(" period",".")
ToSend = ToSend.replace(" comma",",")
ToSend = ToSend.replace(" semicolon",",")
ToSend = ToSend.capitalize()
eg.plugins.Window.SendKeys(ToSend, False)

Naturally, the punctuation commands should be replaced with your own, just as the CAT commands for inserting tags and confirming segments.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Keeping Google informed ... Jul 5, 2015

Switch your smartphone to Airplane mode and try out AutoVoice. It works poor or even fails? Now you know why AutoVoice sends the sound to a Google server where it is converted to text and then sent back to you. This way you save the time needed to send carbon copies of all your translations to Google. Google gets the info while you are speaking.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-07-05 14:10 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
You can do it offline Jul 5, 2015

You can set it at: Android Settings-> Language and Input -> Voice Search -> Offline speech.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Smartphone power Jul 5, 2015

Jabberwock wrote:

You can set it at: Android Settings-> Language and Input -> Voice Search -> Offline speech.

I know. But the recognition quality maybe poor, then. For translating the best quality & speed is just good enough.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Smartphone dictation ... to a PC? Possible?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »